A 'space base' halfway between the Moon and Earth could be built in 10 years

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Plazma Inferno!, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

The European Space Agency (ESA) has announced an ambitious plan to build a space base between Earth and the Moon, which astronauts could use as a kind of halfway house on lunar missions – or as a launchpad for new explorations elsewhere in the Solar System.
    While details on the proposal aren't yet available, the ESA says this 'human outpost' in space could be built within the decade – and the organisation will be actively considering the plan at a conference later in the year.
    In addition to providing a "crossroads in space" to help with lunar research missions and other space-faring expeditions, this base – situated approximately halfway between Earth and the Moon – could also serve as a successor to the International Space Station (ISS).
    The ISS is scheduled to come out of service in 2024, after some 26 years of active duty, and it's not yet clear how space agencies around the world plan to fill the void left by this massively important space research facility.

http://www.sciencealert.com/experts...the-moon-and-earth-could-be-built-in-10-years

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Way to go! I love it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Huh? You can't just take an off-ramp and stop on the way to the moon(and why would you want to?): it is an unpowered ballistic trajectory!

Worse, the equilibrium point is unstable, so such a station would require frequent thrusting to maintain the position.

Boris2 and Q-reeus like this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

That futuristic scene in 2001: a Space Odyssey, may belatedly sort of come to pass after all?:
    So elegant and grand and inspiring, but wait for the realistic price tag! And that's just initial deployment. Then the ongoing costs like need for frequent crew rotations owing to poor shielding against solar storms, out there beyond Earth's protective magnetosphere. Still, without grand visions, hard to keep up interest and support of general tax-paying public

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Lagrange points L4 and 5 are far enough from Earth where research could be undertaken for eventual missions beyond the Earth/Moon system.

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

We've already got one - the ISS. In terms of delta V, it's much closer to the Moon than it is to Earth.

10. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

What kind of research?

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I suppose most importantly, living in deep space for lengths of time, in preparation for eventual ventures to Mars and the outer solar system.
    Maybe study of the Van-Allen radiation belts and deep space radiation in general......
    A general observation post, and I would say a lot more besides.

12. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

Lagrange points aren't mentioned. It is the "balance" point between the Earth and Moon, and as such is not a stable point. Plus as has been mentioned if you are going to the Moon then it don't make sense to stop halfway. If Mars is the objective then what does will this station add to the mission? I can understand it being good for some research but to claim it as some truckstop is a little naff.

13. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I think some of you guys are taking the term "halfway house" too literally. The point is a way-station somewhere above the earth's surface where materials, personnel, etc. can be brought together for expeditions to somewhere - as opposed to the Apollo spacecraft which put all of its eggs in one basket.

14. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

Actually we're probably basing our answers on this para from the article...

well, at least I am.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!