A smacked child is a successful child, study finds

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Scaramouche, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Because I seldom have any answers! Phlog, I've seen far too much to think that I know anything at this point in my life. As to my questions, I ask them of myself all the freakin' time.

But y'all, ....well, y'all seem to know everything about everything. So shouldn't I try to learn from people who know everything about everything? Surely you wouldn't suggest that I remain an ignorant bastard all the rest of my life, would you? If so, that's pretty damned cruel.

Baron Max

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I have been saying this, in every thread on the same topic Baron.

I also wonder where is everybody when a 2 yr old RIPS down a screen door and heads out to the highway??????????? :bugeye: She didn't want anybody to think she was a bad mother???
    ummmmmmmmm if I left my 2 yr unsupervised that long that they could break down a door and leave the house..........I would feel like a bad mother.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Lol.

Interesting study. I mean...I don't buy it 100%.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

No Max, I don't know everything about everything, but to quote Kennedy;

"There are risks and costs to action. But they are far less than the long range risks of comfortable inaction."

Questioning things is good, but nobody ever got quoted saying 'Erm?'. People get quoted for making positive, definite statements most often. What I'm saying Max, is you should plant your flag, and stand by it every once in a while.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Whether I understand the issue or not? Whether I'm knowledgeable enough to do so? Even if I haven't made up my mind about the issue? ....I should just plant my flag and take a stand????

Are you sure that you really said that? Are you sure that you really meant that?

Didn't you wonder when you posted that why Kennedy didn't go on to say: "... But action taken out of ignorance is the most costly of all."?

You're urging me to take a stand on issues that I'm not sure about, that I haven't fully decided. As if making a stand, any fuckin' stand, is better than trying to find out more info?

Have you ever taken a stand on an issue, then discovered more about the issue, and subsequently changed your mind about it? Or once you make up your mind, you stand by that decision regardless of anything?

Baron Max

9. Scaramouche Registered Member

If it was wrong to smack kids, why would we have invented woodsheds, belts, and red-headed stepchildren?

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

Because in context, exploring the new frontier of manned space exploration, that would have been a stupid thing to say?

Max, you'll never know everything about a subject. You need to form opinions on the fly, as data becomes available.

No Max, you are allowed to change your mind as new data comes in. I was trained in the scientific, not religious method see.

11. Scaramouche Registered Member

I have. And it was news, and discussion of the news on an Internet forum, which caused my change of belief. I did a complete 180 regarding private firearm ownership.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

(Insert Title Here)

I'm not sure if "fair enough", or, "I didn't mean to imply you were", or something else entirely goes here.

However, I would suggest that the institution might have an effect on the definition of success. Such distinctions sometimes define other terms.

For instance, a friend and I went to a Jesuit high school where they taught evolution as part of science. She went on to a Christian college where they didn't. And in my experience, certain Christian identifications have considerably different approaches to psychology than the conventional mainstream of the discipline.

But we can't examine the issue closely until we find the study and determine whether she is using conventional terminology and measurements in reaching her conclusions.

13. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Update:

This study was apparently never published! It appears that Dr. Gunnoe was simply trying to "publish by press release." The study has not been peer-reviewed. In other words, it's probably bullshit; if the study had any real scientific merit, she would surely have allowed it to be peer-reviewed and published it in a journal.

I can't believe so many news agencies were writing stories about a study that was never actually published! GAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stupid reporters...

http://thenewamerican.com/index.php/culture/family/2701-new-study-finds-spanking-is-good-for-kids

Edit: Also, some people might find this interesting:
    http://pubpages.unh.edu/~mas2/CP64E.htm#_Toc492168102

One surprising thing mentioned in it is that there are many studies showing that spanking doesn't actually result in a lower "recidivism rate" of misbehavior than other forms of punishments among young children. This seems to badly undermine the whole "Sometimes you need to spank your kids to prevent them from doing dangerous things" argument that always seems to come up in these discussions.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  14. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

OK, but what method did they use to determine that? I'd imagine surveys. If so, I'll bet that spanking is vastly under reported as it is viewed negatively (especially by the sort of people who would be doing the study) by many.

15. Nasor Valued Senior Member

They recorded how young children were punished for misbehavior, what type of punishment was used, and how long it was until the child repeated the offense. It seems unlikely to me that parents participating in such a study would lie and claim they hadn't spanked a child when in fact they had.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

somebody needs to learn to read

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!