A smacked child is a successful child, study finds

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Scaramouche, Jan 4, 2010.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

My guess is that children who are not spanked at all are likely to be poorly disciplined and, therefore, likely to have problems in later life. On the other hand, children spanked too often are likely to be abused or to be "bad seeds" (trouble makers from the start) and unlikely in either case to be successful.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

What do the police do to people who refuse to cooperate?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I've seen the former first hand and we all know about the latter. Yes spanking must be used in moderation, in combination with a good dialog, time outs, positive reenforcement, etc and being a loving encouraging parent. A loving encouraging parent with limited negative reenforcement techniques (no spanking) lead can lead to narcissistic little brat. And of course a loving encouraging parent that beats the shit out of their kids is some kind of psycho that needs to be locked up or will eventually be murdered by their own children.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I wasn't trying to impugn her academic prowess or anything, I just meant that this study which is apparently showing up in so many news stories does not appear to be in any of the major academic databases (web of science, google scholar, scifinder, the apa database, etc.)

This makes me wonder if this study hasn't actually been published (or peer reviewed) yet, or if it was published in some little bullshit journal that doesn't show up in the databases.

8. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

My boss earns a 6 figure salary. He's so dimwitted it's sad. But he was spanked as a child, so that is evidence for both studies. He's successful and stupid.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Did everyone miss this post??? :shrug:

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so spoiled brats never get hit while good children do?
    I don't hit my kids, so that means they are spoiled brats??

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, Orly, some kids really, seriously, don't need smacking .....ever. No, I don't know why, and I suspect no one does for sure, but some kids just don't do "nasty, bad" stuff.

Are your kids like that? They can be perfectly "normal" but seem to know what's right and what's wrong ....seemingly without ever being told. If so, there's no reason to ever smack them at all.

Baron Max

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

People on this site have talked about hitting their kids for their own safety.

My son tore out a screen on a door and went walking on the hwy when he was 2 yrs old. What would hitting him have taught him? The cops were called. I was so embarrassed for them to think I was a bad Mom. I know there are people who would go after their kids with a belt for that alone.

But its my job to protect my child. Its my job to protect them from themselves and from people who want to hurt them. I am not about to sit at the top of the list of people hurting them.

I started disciplining my kids when they were little, not when they were in elementary school and teachers complained.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

From that question, I can tell that you don't know shit about disciplining kids.

Smacking a 2-yr old ....hours after the incident, is not discipline, Orly, it's idiotic. Smacking would be used ONLY at the moment of the infraction or to quickly stop him from doing something like sticking his hand into a fire, etc.

Your job isn't so much to protect them as it is to teach them to protect themselves. If your kid tries to put his tongue into the electrical outlet, a good smack is going to be remembered. A simple, rational, logical, adult-style verbal lesson is NOT going to work ....and the next time he gets near that outlet, you just might not be around to stop him. Zzzzzzzzzztttttt ....no more lips or tongue!

Wonderful, but at issue here is not so much when as how. So ....how did you discipline your kids? Smacking them? Talking to them like adults? Stomping them into the ground? Hitting them with big clubs?

Baron Max

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

fuck you

15. jpappl Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't spank a 2 year old for walking through a screen door. Nor would I ever smack a kid because that indicates an out of the blue hit with no explanation and no choice made by the child.

And by your own admission and mine, discipline doesn't end when they are small children, it's a constant until they are basically adults. The discipline actions of course change with age.

Any type of spanking or more serious discipline action should only come after leaving the child with the choice. If you do this then this will happen, if they decide then to go forward with their actions, then you have to follow through. Which of course means you have to make the punishment fit the crime.

If you told your 4 year old to stay away from the screen with their light saber or you are going to take it away for a week, and they decide to slash at it and tear it, then you have to follow through. Your 2 year old, I am assuming had no previous warning or knowledge of the danger, and you probably didn't see it coming, so IMO your choice of action was entirely correct.

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Originally Posted by Baron Max: "From that question, I can tell that you don't know shit about disciplining kids. .. "

Well, Orleander, what I am I supposed to make of your silly question? Your kid broke through the screen door and walked into the street, ......was gone for a long time, ......and you want to know if you should smack him??

Of course it was a dumb question!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Max:

You're not qualified to say what I do and do not understand. And you are presumptuous to assume you are. Back in your box.

You complain about Orleander asking you stupid questions, while your entire schtick on sciforums is to ask stupid questions.

Including the ones I'm raising at the moment? That's why I asked you when you consider the raising done, you see.

18. phlogistician Banned Banned

Oh Max, you really are a piece if work. And this little rant of your shows I must be pushing the right buttons in another thread. You've just made yourself look a little silly here.

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Baron Max: "So now, James, .....How many children have you raised?"

Notice the word "raised" in my sentence above? You'll notice that it's the past tense form of the word "raise". Past tense, James, .....past! Get it?

Baron Max

20. phlogistician Banned Banned

Max seems to think having done something before, he remains an authority on it for ever.

Let's get some Victorian fathers into the discussion! We can talk about other forms of corporal punishment, for pronouncing latin verbs incorrectly!

Times change, seems Max doesn't.

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Where do you get that? "Max seems to think....."?? what does that mean? How do you know what I might be thinking? And where have I even made claims to being a child-rearing authority?

Does making such personal remarks/attacks make you feel smarter, bigger, tougher,.....? What's with you making such personal remarks?

Baron Max

22. phlogistician Banned Banned

Why do you always ask questions, but never provide answers?

23. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

not even young beautiful girls?