A simple english lesson

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by one_raven, Jul 1, 2003.

1. sniffy Banned Banned

/.....said the blonde to the bishop

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

It annoys me when people say "I hate people who do XYZ" when it is the doing of XYZ they hate & not the people. Also people seem to have forgotten the word dislike.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

One that rather bugs me is the gross mis-usage of "bring" and "take."

"Here, as you leave, bring this with you." (Ugh!)

I suppose it just goes to prove that many people don't know if they are coming or going...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

The classics in Australia are anythink ( meaning anything) and of course, everythink, same deal. Yous ( meaning you, plural) which is often pronounced as ya's as in 'I love ya's all'.
    Christ, I shouldn't have started, the average Aussie actually says ' 'shtraya' for Australia and it gets worse from there.

8. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

In Doncaster we say:

owt - anything - pronounced note or out
    nowt - nothing - pronounced note or night out
    sen - self - pronounced sentence
    sel - self - pronounced self
    get - git - pronounced get
    your - you plural - pronounced you're
    yous - you plural - pronounced you stop
    youn - you plural - pronounced you numpty
    youns - you plural - pronounced you numpties
    us - me - pronounced us
    me - myself - pronounced me
    tha - you - pronounced the ark
    thee- you - pronounced the tree

There's loads more, but I can't bring me sen to think of them.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  9. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

I love slang and use vernacular as much as the next yobbo but anythink, that's just fuckin' retarded.

10. sniffy Banned Banned

How about 'borrow me some money'? That sort of thing just makes me spin!!

11. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Is it tarded before it's retarded?
    WHY do people say they're TAKING a crap, shit or piss??? I never take 1, I leave it.

12. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

" give us a lend?"

13. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Because one of the definitions of take is "to undertake".

14. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Chuckle, I'm just off to the morgue ( for a crap)

15. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Then maybe that should go under improving English rather than an English lesson.
    That may be the origin but 98% of people who say it don't know that & it comes out ridiculous.

16. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

An New car.

17. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

BoH-That's silly. It should be Ans Newd Carl.

18. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Haha, ok arsehole, what I really meant to say was- I have an innate sense for the english language, but practically no education whatsoever (I finger-banged babes and skateboarded in school, that's it), so yes I am prone to making certain types of mistakes.
    I was arguing that I don't think the kind I make are frustratingly retarded, I mostly make mistakes where there's no logical basis for the rule.

William Shakespeare made a tonne of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, but he's still considered to have the most dominant strangle hold on the english language of anyone ever. The kinds of mistakes he made didn't jeopardise this fact (some of his "mistakes" shined a light on shortcomings in the english language and were adopted by it).

Then there's a different breed of mistake which clearly expose the perpetrator as a retard, and absolutely disqualify them from being "good with english", or intelligent in general.
    I feel I largely manage to avoid this quagmire. For the most part.

You were right to pull me up on what I said, it came out completely wrong and isn't true at all, I am totally ignorant of many of the funny official rules of the english language, but I do have an innate feel for the system of english.
    The way I said it sounded like I shouldn't be making mistakes, when what I meant was I do make mistakes and will continue to do so, but I reserve the right to call other people retards.
    I don't think all mistakes should be lumped together. Someone could write a page with hundreds of mistakes and it be far better english than a page with 5 mistakes, if those 5 mistakes were from the retard family of mistakes, and the hundreds on the former paper were all simple examples of not knowing some trivial little rule like double l there or whatever.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  19. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Dr Lou, nice to see you've adopted the correct spelling of 'arse'. Well done.

20. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Me no understand thread point.

21. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

At the time Wild Bill wrote his plays, educated people were only beginning to standardize spelling, grammar, etc.
    Some of the official rules of proper English are ridiculous.

22. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I move freely between ass and arse depending on many factors.

I can't live with the rule that it has to be arse, just because I'm australian. I'm partially influenced by american culture, some of what I say stems from that influence. If I felt the urge to say "aw shit, I wanna break my face off in that ass", I couldn't substitute that ass with arse, because I'm harking back to american influences within my personal reference.

In this instance, when I noted you were an arsehole, that was from the heart, the core of my aussie (or even british) being, so it would have been incorrect to say ass.

Don't overstickle is my motto - but this should never be used as an excuse for stupidity, idiots still should be criticised for bad spelling and grammar of an imbecilic nature, and the critics shouldn't be made to feel like nazis in those instances.
    All of these subtle guidelines should be intuitive for those who are excellent.

23. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

O.K but I promise I'll refrain from pointing out the blatant, idiotic and frankly moronic spelling mistakes in your 'Baron is great' post.