A simple english lesson

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by one_raven, Jul 1, 2003.

1. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I'm disappointed this didn't go further 5 years ago. It seems to me most people don't care what they say or how they say it or whether they mean what they say.
    At 1 time I would've thought this should be in Linguistics but evidently people posting there think whatever bubbles out of mouths (or fingers) is just peachy.
    We should keep in mind that some may be learning English but do they want to learn ENGLISH or some sloppy version of it?
    Spanish speakers don't let me get away with 1 slight error.
    An should go before vowel sounds even if the 1st letter is a consonant, yes. I hate to see/hear AN history of British silent letters as many educated Americans say.
    I've seen weather & whether listed as homonyms in elementary school textbooks.
    The word real is used when it should be genuine. (Looking at diamond ring) "Is THAT real!?!" "NO! It's a figment of your freaking imagination."
    All scientists don't believe the Big Bang Theory should be Not all scientists believe the Big Bang Theory.
    "What's it like photograghing Nature in the African wilderness?" "Well, YOU get all hot & sweaty, YOU get bit by a thousand bugs & YOU get get so tired & achy but it's all worth it when YOU get a great shot." "What the hell are YOU talking about? I haven't been there!" WHY can't people say I when speaking of their personal experiences???
    To be continued

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

People who want to learn english shouldn't do so on a forum.. I remember trying to learn english from parent's who didn't speak it fluently.. my pronunciation was screwed.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Vkothii Banned Banned

I news too think like that two.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

There was an episode of The Shield with an angry romantic rival writing HOE on the wall of a woman's house. She pointed at it & said "She don't even know how to spell." As if ho is correct spelling.

8. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

How about using capital letters for proper nouns.

(e.g.) A simple English lesson

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Funny.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But I did acknowledge my ignorance on the current rules on this topic and sought help:

10. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Somehow I thought someone answered that or I would have. I can't find it so I guess I was mistaken.
    Sorry, One Raven.

11. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

There they sat, their intentions were obvious, they're going to need patience the two of them. The situation was too intense at times "We're going to make it" he said, "our provisions are low but no matter". It's about time for them to strike.

Spot the error?.

peace.

12. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Ok here's one I have been curious about.

Is it Penis's Penises' Penis' or Penisesises'?

Just wondering.

13. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

The penis' opening was damaged.
    Several penises were displayed for the doctor. The penises' veins were severely turgid and the doctor was intrigued but also embarrassed.

penis's and penisesises'
    are useless, so far, in English.

14. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I have this collection of penises. I keep them on a necklace of penises. I have several penises hanging from my penises. Are these my penises' penises? Is one my penises' penis? If I add another penis to my hanging penises, does it become my penises' penises' penis?

15. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Yes, to all. Though it should be noted that you managed to create a context in which a homo sapian answered your question. In the vast majority of contexts the person asked would move away, be silent, begin shuffling through diagnoses, tell you not to speak like that in front of their child or call the police.
    Congratulations!

16. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

woohoo!

who da man!

17. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I'm generally pretty good but a couple can stump me-
    I have trouble with this rule, because I feel it's logically flawed. You can also say the tail belongs to it, thus- it's tail.
    I just can't see how "it" is any different to "dog".
    I'm sure I make the "it's" mistake all the time, but I maintain it's not as retarded as the "there/their/they're" mistake, or "two/to/too", "your/you're", etc.
    I almost feel like it's a mistake in the english language and I'm right.

This is another one I have to struggle to remember-
    A lot of words we have started out as two words, I feel like it's high time the gap was closed on a lot.

I definately refuse to be pigeonholed with the morons who consistently make spelling and grammar mistakes, my mistakes largely originate from understanding the english language, not ignorance of it.
    I actually even say "they're" differently to how I say "there", I annunciate the littler "ayer" at the end as opposed to "air". I also say "there" slightly differently to how I say "their" (a little longer).

18. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

haha you said littler

19. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

You must have editted my post. Moderator!!?!

20. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Its is a pronoun as his, hers, their, your & our thus no apostrophe needed.
    A lot can be any size, even 1. It's a ridiculous expression.
    Gross should be used for quantity. Grotesque for quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2008
  21. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

I will lose if my lace is loose.

22. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

People who can't tell the difference between "than" and "then" annoy me.
    "It's bigger then the last one..."
    Aaaaargh!

23. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member