A shaped atomic weapon charge to stop tsunami

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by cosmictraveler, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Aren't shape charges using a solid in combination with the explosive to make a more concentrated focus of energy? I can't find a way in which you could focus just the blast itself without getting a opposite reaction (2nd law), and we're talking having to move large volumes of water, not punch holes into anything.

Best way I can think of is to create a directed wave in the same way an earthquake fault movement does, through displacement, but you're talking enormous energies to move that much mass.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lilalena Registered Senior Member

Could the heat from the fault line itself be tapped somehow to evaporate the water, turn it into (through another artificial process) clouds spread out over a very large area that will produce normal rain?

(just speculating)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Even a small amount of water takes a lot of heat to make it boil.
    Consider how long it takes to boil a saucepan of soup.
    Lava flowing under water doesn't boil it at all.
    It looks quite pretty.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

As I pointed out earlier, the OP is an SBI. (silly bugger idea).

There is no way that it would be possible to set up a second tsunami to exactly counter the first. The very best you could hope for is a single point where the two sets of waves cancelled out - possibly a city?

But for the rest of the world, it is just a doubling of the devastation.

To counter a tsunami, you build very high and strong sea walls, well ahead of the incident (the Fukushima nuclear problem came because their tsunami walls were not high enough), and where that is not possible, you run for your hairy life to get the hell out of its path!

8. universaldistress Extravagantly Introverted ... Valued Senior Member

I am with you Skeptical.

9. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

That looks awesome... so I had to look up a Lava Dive on Youtube

Maybe some bubbles of steam but it turns to a solid almost instantaneously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsJn8izcKtg&feature=related

10. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Just remember what "Deep Thoughts" author Jack Handey says:

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone!"

It is a pretty pic, though.

11. Lilalena Registered Senior Member

Lava doesn't boil the water???? wow.
    So the sea wall (destroying tropical beach sunsets) is really the only thing that can be done? What about the OP's suggestion - even if it cant cause a reversal, can it potentially diffuse the power of the tsunami , at least?

Regarding the very short notice, just wondering, what about what animals can tell us?

I read somewhere (on a health shop's bulletin board actually) that days before the 2004 tsunami, the (Maldives?) coastline was totally empty of animals. That no wild animals died - they had fled long before the tsunami hit. It was a random report though, with no reference . Wonder if anyone else heard about that/ can give links to better sources?

12. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Lila

Like many reports, that one was exaggerated.

There are a small number of animals, typified by elephants, who have the ability to hear infra-sound. Humans cannot.

A tsunami creates a lot of infra-sound, and it is entirely possible that some animals may hear that, and flee inland shortly before the tsunami reaches land. It appears that elephants may have done this in the Boxing Day tsunami.

However, it is only a few animals, and it is only just literally minutes before the tsunami strikes. Nothing paranormal here.

13. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Actually not. In fact the wave energy in a tsunami is much less than that released by an atomic bomb. But that's not a good comparison - a better comparison would be to compare with the energy released by the seismic event that caused the tsunami. And it turns out that a 9.0 earthquake releases about the same amount of energy that your average modern nuclear warhead does.

So I think the problem is that you can't really direct the energy of an atomic bomb into countering a tsunami. Keep in mind that tsunamis themselves propagate radially in all directions - so even if you could create a "counter-tsunami" that would cancel out the wavefront that is approaching you, the portion of that tsunami that would travel in the opposite direction (towards you) would be just as bad as the original tsunami, and closer to boot. Both earthquakes and tsunamies are characterized by energy released at a point source, and propagating away from there. I don't see, in principle, how you can combat that by introducing more of the same.

14. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

What if a nuke caused the Tsunami? Who really knows?

I was thinking about something like this JUST today! What if a large underwater nuke CAUSED the Tsunami? Would that be possible too?

15. Lilalena Registered Senior Member

Ok, with land animals I guess that makes sense. But I get the impression now (after googling since i last posted) that that is expecting too much from their senses anyway - what about subterranean species? I didnt find any articles focusing on these.

I read something about snakes having a higher survival rate than dogs etc so what about animals that live deeper in the ground?

I remember my parents once woke up in the middle of the night to find the underside of their mattress covered with strange ant-like creatures. My dad immediately concluded the 'dormant' volcano was going to erupt and they packed up and left. They were at our country house which is near a volcanic lake. Three days later the government announced smoky emissions from the volcano. It was weeks before there was a minor eruption.

Before , I found it hard to accept that we simply cant do anything about tsunamis but this thread is getting me nearer to doing so.

However I'm still not convinced about the short notice part re tsunamis. Maybe it's only minutes notice if we're looking for tremors, but if we're tracking deepwater species maybe we could get at least half a days' more of evacuation time.

ha, most of my ideas probably fall under SBI but if I dont ask, they will haunt me forever so, so far, any mockery has been worth the trouble .

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It is possible but unlikely it caused this one.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I was thinking of using the sea floor somewhere that could be like the land base explosions, they all go "up" so directing the blast under the sea floor then tilt it to only go left or right when it detonates would be the way to try it. A problem is that it could cause another earthquake as well, so that's a thing to consider as well.

18. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Yes, I remember seeing that a long time ago. But if that blast could somehow be shaped to angle the force in a direction other than straight up is what I was thinking about.

20. universaldistress Extravagantly Introverted ... Valued Senior Member

The heat goes up. The force goes in all directions. I haven't heard of any atomic bomb being directioned, ever.

21. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

It'd be like a giant "Claymore" mine...hopefully it would be marked according:

Wouldn't want to get that mixed up.

22. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

23. universaldistress Extravagantly Introverted ... Valued Senior Member

Ok, this is interesting but I would bet the yield for a directed atomic explosion would have to be very very small. For the force to be directed the shielding used to direct the force has to withstand the temperatures of an small scale thermonuclear explosion. Is this possible?

They didn't actually successfully build and test a directional atomic bomb though did they?

This does have more potential to work for the spaceship than for the tsunami as the required explosion for the tsunami would be too large? Could many small charges be used directionally?

Remember that in space there is no resistance and that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. For the explosion to be directed it must be supported by something that can withstand the force in the undesirable side directions and opposite direction. The casing would, if it could resist the temperatures (diamond?), then regardless shoot off in the opposite direction. Plus an equal amount of energy and force must find a way out in all directions unless deflected in one direction; but the opposite of that one direction will also be subject to equal forces, even more so in a vacuum with nothing to interfere. What does that equate to? I am not sure as I am not a physicist, but I would assume that equal force/material/energy must go in the opposite direction to the directed direction?

So does this work for a tsunami scenario? I doubt it.

Though, I am not an expert. Do we have anyone with pertinent knowledge in the house?