A Shadow Has Fallen On Middle Springfield…

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by goofyfish, Jun 12, 2002.

1. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Who should be who in “The Simpsons do LOTR”?

This is an idea that's been kicking around in my head for a while now, nagging at me to post it. It seems like a perfect match... both worlds have legions of minor characters we can have endless fun matching up. Heck, if they ever make a Simpsons movie, I think this would be perfect.

Anyway, without further ado, some of my ideas:
    • Some of the choices seem obvious; Mr. Burns, for example, would have to be Sauron; Wayland Smithers the Mouth of Sauron. Bart would be Frodo, and Milhouse would be Sam. I think it would make good thematic consistency to just use the kids as Hobbits, so...Lisa as Rosie Cotton? Maybe Rod and Todd as Merry and Pippin? Duff Man is Boromir. Nelson is the Witch-King. How about Nelson and the other bullies being some of Saruman's Hobbit flunkies from "The Scouring of the Shire"?

Speaking of Saruman... he's a tough one to cast, but I submit for your consideration: Comic Store Guy. Something about his whole attitude makes him suitable for that role, I think - hard to put my finger on exactly what.

For the innkeeper at Bree, Barliman Butterbur, I would suggest Apu. For the Ringwraiths, police chief Wiggum and his crew. Groundskeeper Willie was born to be Gimli the dwarf. Ned Flanders could maybe be Elrond. Homer would be Bilbo. And can anyone else see Otto the bus driver as Tom Bombadil? I have no idea, though, who would be Gandalf. Or what part Marge might play. Not to mention the dozens of other characters that need to be matched up.
    So, I submit this to the good people of SciForums. Let's hear your ideas.

Peace.