A real life robot avatar controlled by the human mind

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by git, Jul 5, 2012.

1. git Registered Member

Some day it will become a reality and a vast range of new possibilities will emerge. Scientist manged to come up with the algorithm which enables controlling a robot using only the human thoughts that were being "scanned" by an fMRI machine.

This is what I'm talking about: dreevoo.com/en/content.php?id=725

Do you see this as a good thing or another blow to the real world as we know it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Science is a tool. It can be used or misused.

Anything that makes remote controlling easier or more fluid is a good thing for many fields, probably some that haven't been thought of yet, as is usually the case. It can and likely will be misused as well. It's not the fault of the technology.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. git Registered Member

It never is, but that's the same way as saying guns don't kill people, people do. I'm not generalising I'm just saying, are we so anxious and curious that we don't give a dang about the possible consequences or are we still too naive or did we lose the compass.

Humans will be humans, after every great discovery or a really useful piece of technology, there will be people with hidden agendas abusing them. I love technology we are living better then ever before I would say, just keep the unhealthy doses of greed out of science.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The only difference I can see between this and standard remote control is that it enables those who are paralyzed to operate remote devices.

8. git Registered Member

Sure it's still in "a primitive" stage, and yes the paralyzed would gain the most but think in terms of virtual reality in a real world, it sounds like an oxymoron but it did work in that Avatar movie though

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!