A question for the webmaster/programmer

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by BennyF, Sep 21, 2011.

1. BennyF Registered Senior Member

When I was recently replying to someone's message on an existing thread, I noticed an empty text box above the place where I was typing my message. The text box was labeled "Title".

I thought that this text box allowed me to specify a title for each individual message, not just a thread title, so I typed a title into the empty box, typed my message, and clicked "Submit Message".

When I looked at the reply I had just left, I didn't see any message title, just the message I had typed into the message box, complete with the usual font choice and size choice.

When someone starts a new thread, they have to be able to specify the title of the new thread, but should the empty "title" box be there if a thread has already begun and I'm just replying to something that someone else has said?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Benny

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You are correct, the message title doesn't do anything. I've been ignoring it for years.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

It does become visible if you quote a post that has a title.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

Test

Test

8. John99 Banned Banned

I just tested it. Does nothing afa i can tell. I tested it to see if "view single post" turned anything up but it does not.

9. John99 Banned Banned

Test:

Post Icons.

10. BennyF Registered Senior Member

If the words that are typed into that empty text box don't do anything on an existing thread, then could some smart programmer eliminate it completely and avoid the confusion it causes?

Why can't it show up only when someone starts a new thread?

11. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I'd take all of 5 mins to fix this.

12. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Where's the title? HERE IT IS!! O HAI THERE!

When you reply to this thread, rather than simply typing in the box labled 'quick reply' down the bottom of the page, take a moment to click on 'go advanced' then scroll down to the bottom of the page, right down to the bit that reviews the last few posts in the thread, and take a closer look.

This, I believe, is what D was referring to in his post, because if you use

button rather than the

(The quote function, rather than the quick reply function) it takes you, by default to the 'advanced' post editor.