A question for learned athiests...

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Tinker683, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Northwind Master of Anvils Registered Senior Member

I am an atheist, I live in Texas, and I see discrimination over it frequently. Granted, I do not wear an arm band with "Savage" on it or anything, but if someone asks, I tell them, and they immediately act differently towards me.

For those who think it does not happen, consider this story:

A close friend of mine is also an atheist, she has been her whole life, raised that way, you know. When she was a child, when it became known to kids at her school that she was an atheist, they began to abuse her over it. I don't mean just some teasing either, I mean beating her up, sticking her head in the toilet, etc. When her mother complained to the school, the Principal got hold of some of the perpetrators, who told him that they had asked their preacher about how they should treat an atheist. He had told them, "Anything you do to an atheist is ok because someone who does not believe in God is no better than an animal." A Preacher told them to abuse another child based on religious differences. The mother complained to the police and the church about the preacher, but nothing was done. The Principal issued a few detentions and took no other steps, and the teachers turned a blind eye as well. Eventually, my friend had to be taken out of school and home-schooled.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Discrimination and prejudice show just how far we have not developed beyond our animal instincts. Discrimination and prejudice are a part of the "survival of the fittest" doctrine. Anyone (human or animal) that is not like the rest of the herd is deemed somehow "unfit" and is ostracized from the herd. We are simply continuing the process that is ingrained in our genes.

If you lived in a society where the overwhelming majority were atheist and you were the one with a religious belief in God, then its likely that you'd still be experiencing discrimination and prejudice.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

you live in the southern belt. you should expect descrimination there. that would be like moving here to detroit and being against american cars. your not going to get very far.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crockett Registered Member

i also live in the bible belt. i dont wear anything on my sleeve, but if asked i will tell someone i'm an athiest. other than a "you're going to hell" , i've never really been discriminated against.

8. Napper Registered Member

I live in Arkansas -- yes, deep within the Bible Belt -- but I have experienced very different reactions towards my atheism.

On the negative side, while I don't feel the need to proclaim my lack of belief in a deity far and wide, if asked I try to be honest about it. This has resulted in quite a few awkward moments and worse, encounters with the confrontational and somehow insulted. However, after watching the treatment given to my gay relatives and friends, I believe that while atheists are more disliked, gays are more openly discrimated against. An atheist might get a stern tongue-lashing or bible-quoting. A homosexual is lucky not to get beaten to a pulp. Fundamentalism is very strong in Arkansas, particularly in the rural areas.

Even so, I've also seen a lot of positive things regarding people's tolerance of atheism and homosexuality, particularly in the larger cities and college towns in the state, as well as on an archaeological dig. There are many members of the very active LBGSA in Conway and Little Rock, and demonstrations go on at the capitol regularly for gay rights. Atheists don't have a similar support group, but I've never felt the need for one. Who needs Atheists Anonymous?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

A lot of the universities and the liberal arts colleges -- and also the more tolerant churches -- hold debates between atheist scholars and theologians, biologists and creationists, and also have non-religious speakers. Also, on a volunteer archaeological dig, I met another atheist, two agnostics, and plenty of people that were interested and not at all threatened or insulted by our beliefs. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, it just depends on what area of the state you're in.

Actually, where I go to school there is in my opinion some pressure on Christians -- particularly those of the more conservative stripe -- to not share their beliefs openly. But only sometimes, when the loony Fundamentalist Atheist Goons show their heads. But that's another thread altogether.

As a friend of mine said, "Here at Hendrix [College], if you're not a Methodist, you're an atheist! Or a Unitarian. Or an Episcopal. Or a pagan. Or... Well, something."

-Joey, the long winded

9. daktaklakpak God is irrelevant! Registered Senior Member

"Survival of the fittest" also includes tricks like "cheating" and "lying". Cheaters and liars are common among all living things. If cheating or lying can improve the survival rate, people will do it. So I just wonder among all those people who said to believe in god, how many are real and how many are fake?

10. Don H Registered Senior Member

There have been presidents that have had homsexual proclivities but never had one admitted to be an athiest.

11. Xev Registered Senior Member

None admitted to homosexuality, either.

12. tony1 Jesus is Lord Registered Senior Member

*Originally posted by daktaklakpak
    So I just wonder among all those people who said to believe in god, how many are real and how many are fake?

Two thirds fake and one third real, and that's just amongst Christians.
    Among others who claim to believe in a god, it's pretty much 100% fake.

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.
    (Zechariah 13:9, KJV).

13. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

lol!

Just like you, Tony, to say something like that. I believe there is a word to refer to people like you who inflate their theories as truth when they have no proof. Oh, yes, that's it! Idiots.

14. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

And if I were a Theist, I would elect a good Atheist for president because shouldn't they be allowed to have a good life before they burn in hell?

15. milenko Registered Member

idiots? do me a favor and prove there is a god....... oh u cant well that just sucks. As for burning in hell when i die, well there is no hell. But last time i checked god was all forgiving, so when i die and if there ends up being a god all i got to say to him is "sorry" and he will forgive me. Or did your religion tell ya a scary story about what happens to people that dont buy in to that crap and conform like good little sheep?

16. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

I'm an Atheist, you dumb fuck.

"If I were a Theist..."

17. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

Oh, and I am sure I would be discriminated against by many if I wore around a shirt that said I am an Atheist, but I don't. If somebody asks me, I tell them.

That's why I don't get discriminated against.

18. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I am the closest to being a atheist then I ever have been in my life. Why? Because musclemen (a jesusfreak) is a moron. Christians are starting to scare me.

19. Xev Registered Senior Member

Come to the rational side, Counseler. Come, feel the power of, ah, vanilla milkshakes. Ummm, and.....ah, we're cooler. And we have milkshakes! Not just vanilla, but chocalate and strawberry and marshmallow-pistachio!

Really GOOD milkshakes!

20. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Marshmallow-pistachio??? Lucky bastards.

21. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Mmmmm milkshakes....no must resist, must stay undecided.....

22. Xev Registered Senior Member

We have pizza too! And we have dancing girls! And pizza! Dancing girls and pizza and milkshakes, c'mon, what more could you want?

23. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Sign me up!