A Person or Just a Baby

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by CutsieMarie89, Jul 5, 2009.

1. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Do we (the human species) not really consider babies real people? I've noticed lately, since I've been put on baby duty at work, that people (parents included) rarely refer to babies by name. They always just call them "the baby". People aren't too sadden by a miscarriage (except for the maybe the mother and/or father). Many support abortion even if they only agree with it under certain conditions. Babies don't seem to really break away from the generic mold of "the baby" until about 2 or 3 when they are actually reffered to by name instead of "the toddler" or "the child". I just found that curious.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. tuberculatious Banned Banned

i think this post starts with a wrong observation. I mostly call my children by name, even when they were babies.

So do other people.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats a curious observation. I will see if it holds true here at home as well.

[by the way, I consider the pro-choice position to be akin to the tree falling in the forest. If a child cries out while being aborted, does it make a sound?]

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

How can my observation be wrong? When people drop their babies off with me they often refer to the baby as "the baby". And you've never heard anyone say "Don't wake the baby" or "It's time to feed the baby"?

8. tuberculatious Banned Banned

Yes. When strangers are around.

9. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I'm not a stranger to many of them, but why call your baby "the baby" in front of strangers? And call your 3 year old, Peter? Does the baby not have a name? Will people not understand if you call the baby by name? The other day a friend of mine (also a client of mine) told her husband to "stop scaring the baby". I asked her why she called her daughter the baby instead of Angel. And didn't know why it just came out, apparently. SO I was curious why so many people call their baby, baby and not by their name.

10. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Is this about whether the baby is called 'the baby'? Or is this about whether we think babies are people as far as identity as far as distinct personality? When I refer to someone as 'that guy' he is still a person even though I don't say 'joe'.

As far as some of your other comments concerning abortion or accidental miscarriage, a miscarriage will always be a loss for the parents who wanted the child (is it ok to call it a child?) and abortion a relief if someone doesn't want to carry or have a child.

11. I Push Wood Dreadlocked Skateboard Fanatic Registered Senior Member

I think what babies are called by people is relative to the situation and the company usually, I hear both. My cousin just had a little girl, and she calls her by name usually...

12. Dub_ Strange loop Registered Senior Member

Prevalence aside, I don't see why it should be seen as dehumanizing to refer to an infant as "the baby." Quite the opposite, in fact -- it's a linguistic device used to denote an individual of unique significance. For example, "Stop scaring the baby" basically serves to reinforce the admonishment. In other words, "scaring Jack" is bad enough, but scaring a baby? Please! Likewise, "Don't wake up Jack" is a reasonable request, but "don't wake the baby"? You pretty much have to comply; it's a baby, after all!

Use of the common noun "the baby" serves as a subtle reminder that Jack deserves special attention. In this way, you can see that it's akin to referring to "the king" or "the President." It's anything but dehumanizing.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  13. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Can't say I've seen that much around here except when conversing with someone that doesn't know your child's name.

I have however noticed many people referring to their wives as 'the missus', 'the wife', 'the other half' etc instead of using her name. Is that an indication that the human race don't consider wives as real people? Perhaps.

People aren't typically too saddened by the death of some old grandpa either, (except perhaps for the very close family). It's perhaps more so for unborn children but I would submit that this is because you never got around to knowing that individual. If you don't know an individual you're less likely to be overly affected by their death.

I think location is a big aspect of that and would probably lead to the same idea if it were a fully grown human that resided inside another person.

If this happens a lot, (I haven't experienced it here), it probably has something to do with developing individuality and personality. A small baby doesn't really do anything - it just kinda sits there and pukes and poops. Once a child gets to a couple of years old, starts talking well etc, then more people start to notice distinct personality.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Don't wake the baby.
    Don't wake the kids.
    Don't wake the parents.
    Don't wake the pets.

So what ?

15. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Interestingly, when my children are talking about me to others, they say "my dad". I suppose this is an indication that my children don't consider me a 'real person'?

16. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Has it got anything to do with the fact that in the old days people didn't used to name the baby for a certain period after birth (I think it was about 40 days) in case the child died? Also that a child's name was confirmed in the eyes of the church at the time of baptism? I do a lot of genealogical work, and the number of children who died very soon after birth was quite amazing...it's only in the last 60 or so years, since WW2, that the child mortality rate has gone down significantly, even in most western countries. For most of Human history, and for most of world even today, the child mortality rate was and is frightful. That may have something to do with it, I'm guessing?

17. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Alright, I guess you gave me my answer. It was just an observation. So baby is a title not generic term, okay. I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone.

18. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i never refered to my child has "the baby or the toddler" i allways said they're names, but i do understand what you are saying, most people say "the baby"

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Cutsie, you didn't offend anyone..

20. tuberculatious Banned Banned

I think you are just delusional, or american.

21. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I think you're myopic.

22. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Possibly because some names just dont suit babies...the name George for example!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

* * * * NOTE FROM THE LINGUISTICS MODERATOR * * * *

Arguably the most important difference we see between our own species and others is speech. In my observation people stop referring to their child as "the baby" around the time that he becomes capable of producing and understanding simple speech. It seems to be a rite of passage, earning the right to be called by name. Also as a practical matter when a baby becomes capable of understanding speech it's a good idea to teach her her own name.