A persistant spatial illusion

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Magical Realist, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Why do things appear smaller the further they are away from you? Does it have to with light or with the nature of space itself?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

They appear smaller because when you trace lines from the edges of a distance object to you eye, the angle between those lines (or light rays, if you prefer) is smaller than the angle you get when the object is closer to you.

So, it is a matter of distance and simple geometry. If you want to call that the "nature of space", then I guess that's the reason.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I was going to ascribe that to a trait of light when I realized rays don't actually converge from objects at single points in space. Rather they diverge from objects and spread out into a larger image of those objects. BUT..with a lens convergence IS created with light. So does that suggest the illusion only exists in the shrinking angle of the light AFTER it has entered our eye lens and focused itself at a point on the back of our retina?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

There's no illusion. The angle I mentioned really is smaller when an object is further away. It has nothing to do with the lens of your eye focussing the light. It's just geometry.

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

No illusion? You mean objects really do shrink in size the farther away they are? I don't think so Einstein...

9. hansda Valued Senior Member

Its a general illusion of our perception. We consider our perception as the truth. 'Any mirror effect to this perception' is considered as 'illusion' in our perception.

But what is 'the real truth' of any object and how to know about it, i think it is beyond our perception.

10. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Sure they do.

Consider the ends of this line:

The light leaving each end diverges, but in the process some rays coming from the left end diverge to the right and some rays coming from the right end diverge to the left. thus rays from the right intercept or converge with rays from the left. If you pick some point above or below that line, you will find that a rays from the left end and right end converge there. In fact rays coming from all points of the line converge there.

We see objects by the light rays coming from them that converge at our eye.

11. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

It's a wonder we don't get burned by all these magically converging rays of light, particularly when coming from the sun. Hey, maybe this explains spontaneous human combustion!

12. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

You misunderstood what James said (and he did give you the correct answer). The angle between your eyeball and the borders of an object determines how big/small you perceive it as. There is no magic and no illusion. I think if you "see" a picture depicting this concept then you may understand it:

View attachment 6072

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Except that rays of light don't converge they diverge. Why would one ray of light get thinner as it approached our eye?

14. gmilam Valued Senior Member

:bugeye: You don't really expect people to take you seriously do you?

15. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I honestly don't understand your question; however, the wording you used suggests that maybe the question is coming from a mis-undersanding about how the human eye and specifically its lens work. Here is an explanation:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/class/phscilab/image.html

Additionally, here is some general information about converging lenses:

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/refrn/u14l5da.cfm

16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

That's what I thought. I already suggested that the converging rays are caused by the lens in our eye. Your first diagram gave the impression there was a converging ray of light BEFORE it hit our eye. That didn't seem right to me. Your second diagram gives a better picture of the actual situation. Tks..

17. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Aha, I see where the confusion came from. The first diagram was an angle diagram only. It didn't reference light.

18. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

My mistake, I thought you were actually looking for an answer to a question rather than playing dumb. ( You are playing dumb aren't you?)

19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

In a way I guess I am... I'm trying to get people to really think about science instead of reciting pat answers they learned from textbooks. In this case I'm merely questioning the application of abstractions like lines and geometrical angles to 3D space and light. It's a clean and simple map that SEEMS to encapsule our knowledge of these phenomena. But always remember, the map is NOT the territory.

20. LaurieAG Registered Senior Member

Talking about persistent spatial illusions my avatar was created by a feedback loop with 3 angles of 'spin' and one mirror at an angle to the the view horizon/pure Poincare section. The screen capture is exactly what you see on screen and it is persistent.

21. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Amazing. You know when you think about it 3D is merely an illusion too isn't it? Its a compromise the brain makes when trying to match the slightly offset images of both eyes. Wonder how the brain would "interpret" the world seen thru 3 eyes? 4 eyes? A hundred eyes?

22. LaurieAG Registered Senior Member

Hi Magical Realist. It is actually a good indication to be wary about only seeing what you want to see when your mind interprets a 2D image as 3D. This is not really 3D as in the movies/TV because those are not 'persistent' images but are moving to produce the 3D effect.

I will change my avatar each day for 10 days at this time and make a comment in this thread about what had to be done to get each persistent spatial image.

(1) I call this one Winiverse and it has a low level of 'spin'.

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Magical Realist:

If you go over to the object and pull out a ruler, you'll measure it to be the same length as always, so in that sense objects don't really shrink. Obviously.

But the size of the image of a distant object on your retina really is smaller than the size of the image it forms when it is closer to you. And the reason for that has to do with the angle I told you about in my first reply. So, in that sense, there's no illusion. You see a real image of objects you look at, not an imaginary or illusory image.

It's all very well to be flippant, but I don't think you actually understand what "rays" of light are. In optics, rays are constructs. Notionally, every point on an object emits an infinite number of "rays" that spread out in all directions from that point. Obviously, your eye, at a distance, only intersects a certain portion of those rays. Different rays from opposite ends of an object may converge, diverge or be parallel, depending on which of the infinite number of rays you care to examine.

The number of imaginary "rays" doesn't in any way correlate with the intensity of a perceived source of light. Rays are a geometrical fiction only. Light actually travels as a wave that carries energy. In general, the wavefronts at any point are perpendicular to the imaginary "rays". Unlike the rays, which are infinite, the waves have a definite frequency, wavelength, speed and intensity.

Rays are a geometrical construct. They have zero width. You are obviously thinking of something like a group of rays, and you're selecting that group from among an infinity of possible such groups.

I'm glad you're so willing to keep an open mind about these things. Hopefully, now that I've taught you something about geometrical optics, you're just a little more knowledgeable than before about that subject.

What do you say?