A novel approach to artificial heart design

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by wlminex, Jul 26, 2012.

1. wlminex Banned Banned

Being a geologist, I have long toyed with the idea of utilizing thixotropic (swelling, electrostatic) clays as a media for a novel artificial heart design. I envision that such clay suspensions, contained within an appropriate flexible structural design (e.g., silicone enclosure) would then be subjected to applied electro-stimulation. The electrostatic properties of thixotropic clays are such that stimulation will align the clay platlets within the suspension, resulting in an electro-physical reduction in the suspension volume. Alternating electro-stimulation will induce a volumetric change in the contained suspension, ergo, a 'flexing; of the suspension container. This process might be used as a pumping mechanisim with NO moving parts (only flexing of the container). With properly-engineered inlet and outlet valvular designs applied to a flexible external, but attached,tube, this apparatus could be used to induce fluid (blood) flow (i.e., a pump).

There is little experimental evidence for electro-stimulation applied to thixotropic clay suspensions, however the process seems (to me) to be a feasible research endeavor. Were I younger, I would be pursuing this with vigor. The idea is now yielded to those similarly interested in out-of-the-box, innovative thinking. Any discussion or constructive thoughts?

wlminex

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wlminex Banned Banned

Buddah12: Looked at your NASA link. Looks to be a reasonable design, though I have my reservations for any design that induces a 'shear' on the entrained blood. I immediately 'mentally-redesigned' the link's process to a straight, fluted impeller, rather than a spinning turbine design, in which the propulsive process would be a reciprocating 'twisting' motion on the otherwise static impeller that would move the fluid (i.e., blood) with no shearing. The reciprocating motion could be integrated (triggered?) with normal cardio electrical/neural pulses. I can sketch-up some design components, if you'd like to see them.

Thanks for your response/input . . . . wlminex

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

I'd be interested in seeing what you can sketch for that's how I started the turbine type of heart over 10 years ago and sent it off to see if it could be fesible or not.

8. wlminex Banned Banned

I think I've forgotten how to attach photos . . . . visit my album EEMU . . . Heart design jpeg is there . . .

9. wlminex Banned Banned

10. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

While it looks interesting what actually is the material that will be used to make it expand and contract? Wouldn't any material that would expand and contract wear out faster and become weaker over time unlike the NASA design that uses titanium turbine that won't ever wear out and can't break.

11. wlminex Banned Banned

Buddah12, You are quite correct . . . . ANY material will wear-out with time . . . .including heart muscles tissues . . . . . this (active) Flex-Tube design is not the OP (passive) flex design. . . . . it s just another 'novel' idea spurred by examining your turbine idea. I'd expect a final active flex design would incorporate a flexible silicone that could withstand long-term active flexing. Are you intimating that the turbine design is infallible . . . what if the turbine 'motor' fails? . . . . . see my first statement above (ANY . . . ). However, the OP design (see Post #1) has NO moving parts (only the enclosure passively (not actively) flexes), so it would likely last a considerable time (something else would likely kill the patient first?).

BTW . . . I have some other designs in mind . . . .

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  12. FTLinmedium Registered Senior Member

What's wrong with a magnetohydrodynamic system to move the blood?

Low voltage applied over a large area, very strong B field. It's hardly efficient, or cheap, but better a higher power bill than Hemolysis.

Or am I missing something obvious here?