a non-physical thing

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by swarm, Jul 10, 2009.

1. swarm Registered Senior Member

Ah, so god is perfectly real if we just redefine real to make it so?

If you have a methodology propose it. It be pretty stupid to expect me to since I'm not the one making the claim.

I'll warn you I've already tried an awful lot of most of the standard and esoteric methods, often multiple times, with variations.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

But have you tried the methodology of sincerely believing in the existence of the non-physical?
    I assure you that, when you have applied this methodology that you will indeed believe in the existence of the non-physical.

And if you don't it's only because you have not applied the methodology properly.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Yet our own experiences are what eventually matters to us the most, do they not?

Or do you choose, for example, your clothes by trying to objectively, with proper evidentiary support, figure out what the best color for a specific clothing item is, while completely disregarding your own personal values and preferences?

Do you choose, as another example, what the most important thing in your life is, by trying to objectively, with proper evidentiary support, figure out what the meaning of life is, while completely disregarding your own personal values and preferences?

"I don't particularly like blue shirts, but objective evidence says that blue is the best color for shirts, therefore I will wear blue shirts."

"I am not particularly fond of evolutionary theory or theories in general, but objective evidence says that evolutionary theory is correct and I will make an effort to believe it and act accordingly, even though I am revulsed by the mere notion of it."

?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

personal experience is indeed evidence to yourself.

8. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

it is unfortunate that you're not open minded enough to give god a chance. it's much easier to look to me and to the world isn't it? experiencing god is a completely introspective experience. it's gained from the inside out. do you think for one moment that the way you follow me around on this forum, making demands of me for something that only you are personally liable for, and finding contention with every little minute detail of everything i say isn't telling? over and over again like a broken record. man, i don't give a flying fuck if you agree with me, or if you believe me, but you seem to think that is of paramount importance. and that is your mistake. what do you even think the odds are, that one person could possibly contend with every single thing that another person expresses in sincerity? your agenda is obvious, and it is your agenda that keeps you from god. that is my opinion. i believe it's law.

seek and you will find. why are you looking at me?

knock and the door will open. whose door are you knocking on swarm?

chasing me around here with your nose up my ass isn't going to get you any evidence of god. but it will satisfy your agenda.

9. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

these are not evasions. i have explained to you how this happened to me. you keep asking for another way, which is false. you keep asking for what is impossible. i can not hand my personal spiritual experiences over to you. as a matter of fact, i can't hand any of my experiences over to you. are you so codependent that you categorize yourself into us and them? yes you are. it has been my experience that this exploration is about you and you alone. it's not something that is meant to be provided by anyone but god, and it's given directly to you. it's meant for you. no one else provides it, and therefore no one else can take it. this is not theoretical. it's not intellectual. and it's not emotional. it's not for the purpose of debate or analysis. the purpose of it is development. the purpose of it is communion, and it's between you and god.

10. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i would love some elaboration on this warning.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

If the brain has a medical condition, it can make the person think and believe they are seeing and hearing things. There are several conditions of the brain that will provide those "personal experiences."

Some people talk to tall rabbits, some talk to Napoleon, and some talk to gods.

For all the evidence that these conditions exist, one cannot simply ignore them in favor of wanting to have had those "personal experiences."
    If in fact, it is found that you had such a condition, would you rather live your life ignoring it or would you do something about it?

12. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

may i point out that for a long time, you've been talking to yourself.

and if my "condition" allows me experiences that result in knowledge that provides meaning, healing, development, and freedom, what do you suggest i "do about it"?

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

You have obviously made the simple error in not realizing you did all those things yourself, just like the rest of us.

My question was, if you found out it was you all along that did those things and that you had a condition that was making you believe it was something else, wouldn't you want to do something about that?

Or, would you rather go through life deceiving yourself? Simple questions.

14. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

why would i? i actually do attribute a part of this to me. i initiated it, and it's up to me what to do with what i learn from it.

15. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

wait a minute...this is not a simple question. if i found out that i had a condition, and i assume you're referring to some medical condition or mental illness, then how would it be possible to deceive myself?

16. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

and...i'll pose you the same question. if you were to find out that i did not in fact have some "conditon", would you continue to deceive yourself?

17. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Hi Lori,
    How do you distinguish which of your experiences come solely from within yourself, and which from outside?

18. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

hi pete,

i can tell because of what it means. and i know that's a simple answer to a very complicated question, but it's the correct answer.

19. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Interestingly teasing answer, but I really meant experiences in general.
    For example, how do you distinguish between real memories and dream memories or false memories?
    If you believe that some dreams come from outside yourself (do you?) how do you distinguish those dreams from ordinary dreams?

20. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

It is said sometimes that the one thing that many (or even most) people are really sure about, the one thing that they are really sure they know is how reality works, what is real and what is imaginary.

This is also where they tend to be most easy to offend - question someone's sense of reality in some way, and they'll likely be offended.

21. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

You believed what some of those beings "said" & made assumptions about another(s?)
    Those experiences do not show there is an omniscient omnipotent god. Gods have been the easy answer for so many things humans did not understand yet later the correct answer was found.

22. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Actually, all I have seen from you is an insistence that the answer is beyond our comprehension therefore you won't answer.
    IOW, you haven't moved a camplexmillimeter in the direction of anything.
    You're stuck in quicksand.

23. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.