A new forum...

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by wet1, Jul 16, 2001.

1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

and I can not resist any longer. So who is your favorite author? Why? And what did that author write? What did you like about what you read?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mpfunk economist slacker Registered Member

Vonnegut

For me the best out there is Kurt Vonnegut and his two best novels are Breakfast of Champions and Slaughterhouse 5. Both are on another level then his other books. I love Vonnegut's satire and his unconventional narrative style. The structure of Slaughterhouse 5 is completely disjointed time wise. Not only is it interesting but it gets the point of the novel across. Breakfast of Champions is an even more bizarre book and the more I think about is probably my favorite Vonnegut book. On the level just below these two are Timequake (although it should not be read by a Vonnegut virgin), Bluebeard, and God Bless, You Mr. Rosewater and Hocus Pocus. Not only is Vonnegut a hell of a writer I agree with most of his opinions especially on religion and war.

Also I can't resist a chance to pimp what I consider one of the greatest pieces of American literature Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. A book that is as funny as anything ever written. It is a brilliant piece of satire and pure wackiness. Along with all of this there is a lot of meaning in the book. To quote my favorite author about Catch-22 from the book Timequake "Read the book!"

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Favorite: Robert A. Heinlein

Book.....: Stranger in a Strange Land

Had he written nothing else, he still would be remembered for the clearest explanation of 'humor' and laughter I've ever come across and the adding of 'grok' to our language.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

So many books, so little time ...

God, this is pretty difficult for me.

<b>* The Count of Monte Cristo</b> (Unabridged : Alexander Dumas): One helluva long book which has all of it: romance, intrigue, revenge, solitude, humor, and a great ending.

<b>* It</b> (Stephen King): Though some may consider this a popcorn book, it does have quite the original storyline, as well as a great plot involving characters worth reading about, and it manages to pull off an ending which is pretty much stellar compared to other King endings.

<b>* Ender's Game</b> and <b>Speaker for the Dead</b> (Orson Scott Card): both of these have great storylines (original as well), along with interesting themes.

<b>* The Gap Series</b> (Stephen Donaldson): an interesting change of rooting for me. In that, the main characters can all be classified as anti-heroes. The writing was very explicit and debasing, but it was interestingly refreshing from other styles of writing.

<b>* The Hyperion Series</b> (Dan Simmons): Though the first 70 pages of the first book was as pleasant as mid-term to labor through, the rest of the (first two books) storyline metamorphosed into something rather cool. Not to mention the enigmatic shrike.

<b>* Catch-22</b> (Joseph Heller): As mpfunk said, this is sheer humor. Loved every second of it. One to read again and again.

<b>* Reality Dysfunction Series</b> (Peter F. Hamilton): Hard, hard sci-fi. Exceptionally well-written. Just kept getting better. Military sci-fi, alien invasions, paranormal involvement, and evolutionary paradigms.

<b>* Hitchhiker's Guide</b> (Douglas Adams): Naturally.

Unfortunately, that's all that comes to mind right now. But, come on, everyone. Let's list some of our favorites. That way, I can broaden my horizons and read some other good books.

thanks!

prag

8. Corp.Hudson Registered Senior Member

Best books

How could you all forget about Foundation by Isaac Asimov? The merits of the sequels are debatable, but foundation is a great book.

But the best book ever would have to be Ishamel by Daniel Quinn. Most eye opening book I have ever read, and I have read a lot.

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Enders Game, Fountation, Rama, some of Cliffard Simak novels, and Heinlein novels were really eye openers. And some of the best for the genre of just all out good reads.

10. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

I must say.........

Right now I am in the process of reading Cosmos by who else but Carl Sagan! And i must say after reading Half the book I love it! but I must say its deep reading for me! I understand 85% of it but hey I still got a alot to learn, I am only 14!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

All the Seth books by Jane Roberts, Cosmic trigger by Robert Anton Wilson, Valis by Philip K Dick....hmmm, what more....oh, yes, and the Martinus series.

12. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

I would be a flower-growing, banjo-strumming, hemp-wearing artist (shudder) without the unhealthy doses of paranoia and absurdity I received from <i>1984</i> and <i>The Outsider</i>.

At the moment, I'm trying to deepen my depression by reading <I>Cancer Ward</i> by Solzhenitsyn and <I>Blindness</i> by Saramago.

... I get extra points for spelling Solzhenitsyn correctly from memory!

13. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

Phillip K. Dick!

Wow, amazing author, unconventional, but exciting none the less. I don't remember all of his works, but the two that I have read so far are, "The Man in the Castle High" (If Germany & Japan won WWII, takes place in divided US.) and "Radio Free Albumuth", (takes place between early 1940s-1970s follows two friends, as they live in an increasingly totalitarian United States, who is lead by President F.F. Freemont. Without giving too much away there is a mysterious alien presence that has a lot to do with the story).

These two books are heavily based on alternate Americas. As for the other one's I'm not sure. Look him up on Amazon.com.

14. charms Registered Member

i am shocked!

nobody mentioned Tolkein!!

J.R.R. Tolkein, my personal favorite and one of the most inspired authors of all time! talk about genius..

Lord of The Rings, The Silmarillion, Morgoth's Ring, The Hobbit, much more...

soo many, all soo good.. *grins*

15. Pzzaboy Sales Slave Registered Senior Member

I'll have to say Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card: The only book to tap the true potential of the minds of children. I often wanted a program like thins in school, still sounds fun now.

16. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Wow....In the 6 interveing posts above 2 years has passed. I said I was 14 now im 16. Time flies...... Amazing that Ive been here so long. Hmmm.

Well I have nothing else to contribute except I must sleep for tomorrow I Must write a 5 page essay.

Later
    T

17. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

that was one crazy book

18. reformedtopunk got punk? Registered Senior Member

I agree with Corp. Hudson, Ishmael was probably the BEST book i've ever read. But Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradburry is my favorite. I've read that book so many times that i had to buy a new copy.

19. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

YES! <b>Isaac Asimov</b>! I am relieved that he is mentioned, otherwise there might be some *cough* fatalities *cough* coming from this way.

I have read the entire <b>Foundation</b> series, even the ones written by other authors. I've read Isaac Asimov's short stories, his <b>Robot series</b>, the <b>mysteries with Baley and Daneel</b>, and his <b>biographies and autobiographies</b>. I did a voluntary research project on him for English. I even trekked to the Reference Library all the way downtown just to read his <b>Lucky Starr series</b> which is out of print. I am only disappointed I wasn't reading Asimov at the age of 6, because then I might have met him before his death.

<b>Orson Scott Card</b> is another favourite. The <b>Ender's series</b>, <b>Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus</b> (had me obsessed with Columbus for about a month after, <b>1492!!!</b>), <b>Songmaster</b>, <b>Hart's Hope</b>, <b>Alvin Maker series</b>, that cruddy Earth series which I read in its entirety, etc. MUST READ <b>SHADOW PUPPETS!!!!</b>

<b>Terry Pratchett</b> is good for laughs, but I can't read him too much without getting overwhelmed.

I read a lot of <b>Brian Jacques</b>, until the storyline got so repetitive I could write a Redwall book by myself.

<b>Jack London's "Call of the Wild"</b> and <b>Farley Mowat's "Never Cry Wolf"</b> (as well as many of his other books) got me obsessed with wolves for about the longest time. I was really into survival/outdoor stories at one time. <b>Paulsen's "Hatchet" and "Brian's Winter".</b>

<b>Paulo Coehlo's "The Alchemist"</b>. Even if I can't spell his name right 80% of the time.

Mustn't forget <b>Harry Potter</b> and <b>Lord of the Rings</b>!

20. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member

Contact by Carl Sagan
    and
    the little red book