A new approach to mental illness

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Quantum Quack, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

yes we share a common insight and I reckon if it was applied properly in teh realm of mental health we would see great benefit not only to the patient but to society as a whole.

It is interesting that you should bring adrenal functioning to the fore.
    Hyper tension [ not just blood pressure but neurological or electrical] due to being constantly in an amplified sensory state is a real problem. The release of adrenalin is our most common response to fear and in a hyper tense state relatively random misfirings caused by that hyper state can generate huge behavioural and thought problems.

By lowering the tension with proper support a person can learn to govern their adrenal reaction to their sensitivities.

What amazes me is that this adrenal fear function which we all take so much for granted is mostly ignored by the professionals. It is adrenalin afterall that gives us so much pleasure in life and yet can be so counter productive if ungoverned properly.
    So therapies to address the issue of adrenal dysfunction would be of beneifit.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

To me "hypersensitive" means that I have noticed that my mother, my teachers, and other humanoids deliberately set me up for a painful life and used me for a punching bag. If I were any LESS sensitive I wouldn't feel it if I were napalmed.

Being told I am overly sensitive is a lot like being told that I am a bad child for crying after someone has beat me up. Never mind for a moment how much it hurts. Think about how wrong it sounds to me.

I really wish that some of you characters would call some of those characters crazy like they need. They are violent. They are a danger to selves and others. They attack people who have done no harm to them. They take offense where none is meant, deliberately, and maliciously. They like to play games to make a person feel his death over and over and over again. If you act like you don't feel it they make it hurt until you do feel it, even if they break your pelvis.

If this were the real world, and if "hypersensitive" meant what a rational mind would think it means, then I would turn into a screaming mess the first time someone accidentally bumped me with their elbow. That's hypersensitive. Normal sensitivity is having the strength to ignore normal stuff, like being bumped into in a crowd at a convention, and not seeing an offense where none is meant. What I have been taught personally is that if someone has not actually killed me I have nothing to complain about. I'm not hurt if most of my blood is still inside me. I'm not hurt if only small bones were broken. I'm not hurt if the marks fade overnight. In fact, if these things don't happen, and I have not also had flammable floods poured on me and ignited, I am "lucky."

It's been a lifetime of people getting off on me, laughing in my face, and then misbranding me as some kind of violent psychopath. Hitting back only confirms that branding.

Hypersensitive, my ass. If I were hypersensitive my heart would have beaten itself to death by the time I was five years old.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I am not laughing....... nor are most persons reading these posts. Nor would most people who become aware of your past suffering...... there is no doubt that your abusers are living with their own nightmare. and there is no doubt that they wish others to also join them in their personal hell.

But we all have an opportunity to learn from all that touches us and turn our nightmare in to a success story.

so the question is : How do we turn OUR nightmares into that success story?

How can we help you achieve the success you want to achieve?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Something just occurred to me that might put it in better perspective. I happen to be reading Michael Crichton's "Airframe." Something about it set me to thinking about what happens when a system fails. You get something that looks like stricter rules and tougher punishments. These come from the realization that the system is failing. They flail about and lash out at people. It's a lot easier to isolate and help destroy the victim of bullying than it is to stop the bullies. It takes much less resources. The bullies can get away with a lot because they appear to be behaving in class.

How can you help me? Take the trouble to fix the system. Don't let the system force you to treat its victims as if they are somehow offenders, demons, or sick people who got their sickness from outer space. Face the system down. I submit to you that someone has already done that for their own neurotic ends. Someone has already corrupted the social structure that we have and forced it into a bad shape. The failures of the system have been contrived. The proof of this is things like the war against Iraq. There aren't resources to do good things and provide jobs, but there are resources to spend a trillion dollars on a war.

8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

yep it's endemic globally fear based reacitions, paranoia insanity dah dah dah.......what we are really talking about is a question of degree, how insane how paranoid etc......

There is no doubt that the 'ill' person is only an extreme reflection of the society he exists in.

However it is also possible to change the dynamic of your own personal existence and decide what it is you wish to reflect about society, whether that be it's negative side or it's positive side. Your choice is there it's just not always obvious that you have that choice.

Mankind is evolving from a fear based existence to a more rational one based on things greater than fear. In less than 100 years we have achieved some success as a people. The whole worlds state of fear based reactions is evolving. We are a part of that evolution. It is no wonder that abuse still exists and will continue to exist until we as indiviuals do something about it and choose a better way.

And when we learn that fighting fear with fear only perpetuates our nightmare and not solve it we have achieved a better method.

take the trouble to fix your own system and the other system will fail to trap you in it's nightmare.

9. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I take it that you know how to do that?

10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Metakron, we all have nightmare stories to tell,[ well almost all of us ] But when you realise you have the power to change that nightmare you are already half way there.

And this thread was and hopefully is about empowering us all so that we can do something about it instead of just throwing a pill at it and attempting to ignore the consequences of inaction.

11. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Did you ever notice that we tend to operate by looking for clues at the scene of the crime, but not by teaching the victims that they don't have to live like a refugee? Sorry if that's flippant, I'm up too late again.

12. Tnerb Banned Banned

Excellent paper QQ.
    It is a shame the thread wasn't very successful though.

Also, I was interestd in starting another one of these threads....... Wanna do it?

13. Gustav Banned Banned

what new approach?
    that mental is physical is reaffirmed, ja?

14. Tnerb Banned Banned

"that mental is physical is reaffirmed, ja?"
    wtf!

I think it isn't necessarially a "new" approach as compared to more of a "better" or more realistic approach.
    He's referring mostly about how the fears of a schizophrenic are all classified by something or nother.
    That a schizophrenic, actually has realistic fears and things. That it is treatable in a better way. Mental illness is something we need to consider. You aren't considering it. Kind of thing?

15. Gustav Banned Banned

examine. you gotta redefine for that to work

16. Tnerb Banned Banned

Maybe you're right.
    The whole point though (

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) is that.
    That was, for the most part IMO his premise.
    At least one of them, out of the THOUSANDS of others....

Of course, though, if we take that position; stating that the schizophrenic has realistic fears, or that he or she is an individual just like the rest of us, then well, it kind of makes sence if that person is simply experiencing some normal human reactions to their enviornment? Blah?

If he has normal reactions, realistic fears, these kinds of things, then obvioiusly... it makes sense to provoke him to have them. You wouldn't want to tie up an individual in a mental institute and feed them shit would you?

It all makes sense... anyway, he had a pretty good for sure opening post / statement or whatnot... I guess that works for ya guestav.