A Moon Photo

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Star_One, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Star_One Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. AD1 Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Star_One Registered Senior Member

Any idea what it is , a optical illusion????

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. AD1 Registered Senior Member

Could you tell me whereabouts in the picture the "middle object" appears? Whereabouts with respect to the centre of the photograph? You may notice that Apollo lunar surface photographs have been exposed behind a fiducial grid. Could you tell me whereabouts with respect to the fiducials this object is?

Unusually for have-a-go photoanalysts, this person has graciously provided the photo identification number. This image is a crop of AS16-116-18603. That's Magazine 116, which was used on EVA-3 of Apollo 16. The largest rock in the middle of the picture is known as 'House Rock.' So-called because it is literally as big as a house. I cannot see any object that appears artificially cylindrical.

8. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

The rock/s in question is relatively small - maybe a 5th the width and height of the house rock. It bears a superficial resemblance to a truck wheel lying on an angle.

It is just NE of grid marker number 2 (counting across from top left).

This appears to be yet another example of hopeful 3D extensions from a 2D image. I would not confidently label it as even approximately cylindrical without a view from a different angle.

9. AD1 Registered Senior Member

Okay, I see the object in question. It does look cylindrical from this angle, however there is no need to stipulate that it is artificial. It may not actually be a cylindrical object, it may just appear that way in this photograph. I had a look around on magazine 116 to see if this particular rock was photographed from another angle, but I was unable to find such a photograph.