A mental problem that needs fixing

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by MewSkitty, Dec 2, 2004.

1. MewSkitty Sciforums.com sucks! Registered Senior Member

For a couple years now I've been hearing voices in my head, but I try to ignore them as much as possible. My family can't afford a psyciatrist (please excuse my bad spelling) and I know these voices need to be stopped. They havn't made me do anything bad yet because of my strong will, but I'm afraid they might be able to take control over me and make me do something bad. Is there any way of stopping the voices without having medication or a docter? I need help but sense my dad lives in an RV and my mom lives in my grandma's house, wich my grandfather built himselfe, I can't afford anything besides free advice.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. vslayer Registered Senior Member

the best advice i can give you is to write down what they tell you, then at the end of the day, read over them and see what they are. do they tell you to kill, do they tell you to rebel against outhority, or do they just say random stuff, and can you remember anything that might be the couse of what they say(think really hard becasue they are usually caused by repressed thoughts eg. they may tell you to kill somone who molested you as a child) or try hypnososis, i will try to find a method of hypnosis thatn you can get a friend to use on you

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Aren't there counsellors at your school that you can talk to?

It sounds like you may have some form of schitzophrenia, and if that's the case you should know that it only gets worse after onset. You can't just 'cure' it. There have been reports of people subduing the voices through will-power...but its not a longterm solution.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MewSkitty Sciforums.com sucks! Registered Senior Member

The voices tell me to hurt other people and destroy things. I have never hurt another person in any way in my 15 1/2 years alive. They also say perverted stuff I will never repeat and I don't like it. I never lust for other people. The only female I even think about is my GF Monica. I realy want them to stop, I know there not a reflection of my past of anything because they don't ever say stuff about my past, usualy. I got PMed a link to a site that might help. I'll update y'all on any help I got. I'm not going public with this because if my family found out it would be devistating. I'm the only one holding my family together.

8. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

First,
    The only female I even think about is my GF Monica.

Consciously, yes. Your girlfriend probably feels the same way. I have felt the same way before too

Subconsciously, (and these voices are a good indication) you want to impregnate as many girls as possible. Subconsciously, your girlfriend wants the sperm of a stronger man(but for you to raise them).

As for your your perversions and blood lust,theres absolutely nothing wrong with. If you want the feelings to go away, don't suppress them. Let them out. Write them down on paper as vslayer suggested. Tell an unsuspecting victim that you've had thoughts about castrating them in their sleep with a bread knife and then sodomizing them (or whatever ..divergent thoughts are going through your head.)

I mean it. These voices are at least partly coming from internal pressures.

Just because they don't say anything explicitly doesn't mean they're not linked to your past. You're a product of your past don't forget.

This is probably another delusion. The family unit is much stronger than you think, even if it seems weak. Coming out with your problems might strengthen your family.

(and by the way, don't use real names on the 'net.)

9. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I think if you go to a school councelor they are to keep things private if you tell them; unless it's a very serious problem. If it is schizophrenia (although I'd strongly doubt it first), it is a very serious problem and it's best that your family finds out and provides help before anything drastic happens. But don't give yourself a diagnosis, let a professional look at you.

Everybody says to themselves that they strongly hate close family members and things like that; we don't act out on these thoughts, true, and these ideas are fleeting. Try what's been advised: hear a thought and let it go. Try yoga meditation. Relax.

I am no psychologist, but:
    If you consciously say that you have no clue where these voices would come from and that they are not affected by the past, it may mean you have something repressed. Don't fear yourself. It's ok to hate people. Perhaps there was an incident or two which you may recall that has driven you to such thoughts. If you repress thoughts, it'll get worse even if it's not really bad at this point.

10. Nasor Valued Senior Member

If you are actually hearing voices - as in having auditory hallucinations like someone who isn't really there is talking to you - you really need to get help. With medication it can be treated, but if left uncheck it will probably only get worse.

11. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Try recording what type of situation ye'r in when a certain voice talks to ya, and what that voice says at those moments. See if they only talk when ye'r angry or sad, or when ye'r thinking a particular thought, or something like that. Experiencing something similar to a previous, supressed experience could maybe be the cause of these voices.

But I don't know for sure. To know for sure, it is imperative that you go to a professional. In fact, I would command you to do so. Expecially since something like this could possibly only get worse.

12. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

I am not a psychiatrist, but here's what I think:
    If you're hearing voices, they're from your subconscious. Pay attention to how it tries to manipulate you. How does it make you react? How do you feel? What goal is trying to be accomplished by influencing you? Pay more attention to your conscious reactions rather than what it's actually saying.
    Once you understand your subconscious mind's goal, then you can deal with your problem.

13. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I’m pretty pissed at all the people here who are trying to give B.S. psychiatric advice off the top of their head even though they obviously have no idea what they’re talking about. What MewSkitty described – hearing voices that inexplicably say violent and/or sexually deviant things that the person has no interest in – is a textbook description of schizophrenia symptoms. He mentioned that he’s 15, and schizophrenia usually manifests itself some time in the teenage years. I’m certainly not going to try to make a definite diagnosis about something like this over the internet, but all signs certainly seem to point toward schizophrenia and therefore it is imperative that he seek professional help. This is not a disorder that can get better on its own or be controlled by willpower, and suggesting that the voices are from his subconscious is irresponsible nonsense. Schizophrenia is a biochemical disorder that doesn’t have anything to do with a person’s subconscious. It can be treated effectively, but if left untreated it will only get worse.

MewSkitty, again I strongly urge you seek help with this. If you live in a western country (U.S., Canada, England etc.) there are almost certainly treatment options available to you, even if you’re poor. You need to tell a school councilor, or any other trustworthy mental health professional who you can find.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm impressed with the caring, thoughtful suggestions that people are making.

I agree that the best possible thing for you to do would be to seek a psychotherapist. Not a psychiatrist because they're all MDs who studied Freud in medical school. Everyone else studies Jung, which is much more useful.

But you say you simply can't do that, so the rest of your advisers here are simply trying to do the best with what they have to work with.

My own totally amateur take on this is that the voices in your head -- as long as you seem able to distinguish them from your own conscious thoughts -- are probably vaguely in the same class as daydreams, which are different from sleeping dreams but still have a lot in common. Ideas, memories, suppressed urges, past problems never resolved, all of these things are buried inside you and they pop up from your unconsious mind from time to time. This is indeed healthy, because if you suppress them, they will explode one day. Take it from one who's been there.

You're going to have to do your own amateur psychoanalysis on yourself, unless you have a very close and very wise friend whom you can trust to do a better job of it. Do some word association tests on the significant words uttered by the voices. What other words come into your head when you hear them? Why do you put those two words together?

And I have to agree most strenuously with another bit of advice you've already been given:

No man, absolutely no man thinks about only one woman. We are simply not programmed that way. It may be a movie star or a character on a tv show or a real person you know, but please accept the fact that you are indeed thinking of someone else besides your girlfriend and it is perfectly normal. This is nothing to feel bad about, we all do it because it's just how our brains and glands work. I am 61, well beyond my horny youth, and my friends hold me up as a textbook example of a happily married man. Yet even I don't think of just one woman.

I would suggest that you try to delve into yourself and find some of the other women in your head. You're probably suppressing the thoughts as a gesture of fidelity to your girlfriend. At her age, she probably has other men on her mind too, so she doesn't need you to censor your own bloody thoughts for her sake. I would be surprised if my own 60-year-old wife doesn't occasionally daydream about Antonio Banderas. It's really okay, dude.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Nonetheless, I'll say it again. You really deserve professional help. Get creative and see if there's not some way you can score some. This is way too important.

15. hypatia Registered Senior Member

Ditto Nasor. This sounds like a case study out of a psychiatry textbook.

I have to disagree with Fraggle Rocker and emphasize that (if you do live in a Western country) you should make your best effort to see a psychiatrist, not a psychologist. There are psychiatrists who concentrate on 'talking cures,' but the fact remains that the only therapies that have been demonstrated to improve schizophrenia are pharmacological ones: the classic neuroleptics and the newer atypical antipsychotics. And no-one who is not an MD can prescribe these to you.

There are ways for poor people to get needed medical care, even in the US. If you walk into any ER in the country and tell them you've been hearing voices, they will get you the help you need and ask questions later. In countries that have socialized medicine, things are easier than that. If you do need antipsychotics, they are not expensive drugs and should in any case be covered by Medicaid in the US.

If you feel timid or weird just walking into the ER, tell a teacher at school or another responsible adult you trust. He or she will be able to help you get what you need.

The bottom line is, Don't try to handle this on your own. It's not something you can overcome by force of will. If you had an acute appendicitis you'd go to the doctor, not try to get over it by thinking really hard. This is no different.

16. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Wrong. The medicine is like a band-aid. The ONLY way schitzophrenia can be overcome is by will-power. A psychologist can help along the process.

17. hypatia Registered Senior Member

Xerxes: Please don't spread misinformation. The OP may be truly in need.

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/sx31t.htm

" The primary treatment for schizophrenia and similar thought disorders is medication.....Psychotherapy is not the treatment of choice for someone with schizophrenia."

http://www.schizophrenia.com/family/FAQgen.htm#treat

"...psychotherapy alone was NOT a substitute for medication... For schizophrenia, cognitive-behavioral therapy has shown the most promise in conjunction with medication."

http://my.webmd.com/hw/schizophrenia/aa47103.asp?z=1835_00000_0000_rl_06

"Medications are the most effective treatment, and it is important to continue to take them as prescribed by your doctor."

18. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Suggesting they're not from his subconscious is nonsense. Will does play a part. Conscious effort can help much, that's all I'm saying.

19. MewSkitty Sciforums.com sucks! Registered Senior Member

There may be a reason for the sexaul thoughts the voices give or say or wehatever they do to progect thuoghts and words into my head:

I started going through puberty at a younger age than normal, but I read from book about what was to come in the future so I prepared for it. I was able to prevent lust from coming into my life. I, to this day, have never had lust for a women. My GF is someone I met of the internet and we have a strong long-distance relationship, in fact right now I'm selling everything I own to pay for a ticket to go see her. I live in Colorado and she lives in Calafornia. I'm telling the truth on this, my GF is the only girl I think about, I havn't thought of any other wemon ever sence I met her over half a year ago. I will try to never think of other women either because I'm perfictly loyal to her, I believe that if you don't plan to marry someone than don't even bother being with them. I also plan to wait until I'm married to do anything that has to do with having a child. (I'm not a Christain, it's my own choice.)

I don't want anyone to find out about these voices, but I don't want them to take over and hurt Monica. (I only use first names so I don't have to worry about identity fraud or other stuff like that.) They sometimes tend to take over, but all they've done so far is irritate the dogs. You see, they talk during random times so I can't study when they show up, but they tend to take over and make me do stuff when I'm not thinking. I think about 90% of the time I'm awake, but sometimes my mind shuts down for a few seconds, and the next thing I know I'm traping one of the dogs under a heavy blanket or doing something else that could hurt or irritate them. I'll need more time to muster up the courage to see someone about this, but I do know someone who might help.

My best friend (I met him on the same Pokemon site) is in college studying in psycology, I've talked to him about the voices, but he's been too bust with homework to be much help.

I also plan to file for emancipation (I know it's spelled wrong) at age 17, but if that don't work I'll wait until I'm 18, and then once I cut myself off from my family, I'll go see some profecinal help.

20. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

You do not want to seek diagnosis from someone who's been merely studying psych; you want a professional with experience to look at you if you think you need help. I think if it really bothers you that much you should go to your school councelor, ask him/her if the conversation can be kept private, and see what happens. If you really don't have a problem, it will sound more reassuring if it comes from someone with a degree and experience.

21. MewSkitty Sciforums.com sucks! Registered Senior Member

I have too many responsibilities to let anyone that I don't fully trust about this. I still need some time to think about this and see how much of a threat it really is to my well being and more impotantly, the well being of others. In time I know I will make the right disision, but for now I need to stay quiet about this in public.

22. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Wow. There must be some community program or service that you can access? I do know that there is potential for abuse here in Oregon, so be careful. Hearing voices is pretty serious. You might want to reach for the phone and contact Family Services or some other state agency.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

If what you have really is a problem, you will not only be unable to meet your responsibilities, you may make a lot of things worse. People with developed schizophrenia can not be held responsible for anything (not your case so far, I see). This illness often shows up in teens-early 20s. You do want to seek professional advice as soon as possible, if it bothers you.
    As with all psychological problems, the earlier you deal with it, the FASTER you deal with it.
    Again, my advice is to go to the school councelor, resolve the privacy issue, and act accordingly. The school councelor is there precisely for people like you, who don't know if they have problems and what to do with them; it's the first step in getting help. Honestly, the councelor will be more helpful than sciforums. The sooner he/she reassures you that you don't have a problem at all, the sooner you can get rid of the voices. I'm sure you'll be fine.