A mark in a room full of shills.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Dinosaur, May 31, 2013.

1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

One day my college roommate asked me to be part of an experiment testing visual perception.

I became one of 20 or so people being tested. It just happens that I had developed an interest in scams & had became familiar with many of them.

The test consisted of deciding which line in a displayed group was longest, shortest, not parellel to the others, et cetera.

Everyone else decided on a wrong answer. After 12 or so answered line 3. I said line 1, & several after me agreed with line 3.

After 3 or 4 questions, I stood up & said
    I then walked out of the room. The professor followed me & insisted on interviewing me. I really was annoyed with the situation & agreed to be interviewed on my reactions only because the professor might view me as an uncooperative rebel & bad mouth me to other members of the faculty.

Due to my father, I always had a strong self image & often felt sorry for those who did not. During the interview, I said that such an experment might be emotionally damaging to some individuals.

What do others here think of such an experiment?

BTW: When I was circa 9-10, I was in a country general store & witnessed the following scenario. In that era, a shop keeper got the items ordered & stacked them by the cash register.

4 men came in together to get provisions. Three cans of vegetables were an early item.

One of the men started juggling the three cans. He stopped juggling & started to estimate the weight of one can. He also shook it near his ear.

He then claimed that the can contained string beans instead of the corn indicated on the label.

One of the others said something like.
    His other friends also made bets & the grocer as well as a few farmers got scammed into making bets.

The label was incorrect.

I was astonished. When we left the store, my father explained to me that it was a scam. He voiced the opinion the men probably went in for scams involving larger amounts of money & were amusing themselves while on vacation.

The above incident resulted in my being interested in learning about scams.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Just ignore the mob, as most of them know about as much knowledge as is written on toilet paper. There is nothing written on toilet paper, and thats about as much as people out there know about anything.

You will find out later in life you do not need to interact with others as much as you need to at school.

Thats why i do not post in trolling threads, and most science is full of people just as bad as the mob you descibe.

People like to think they know something, when they know nout. They never even had one original thought in there lifes most of them, and most of your class will never too.

The gov education system fills these people full of arrogance, so when they become adults they know nout and like it that way, so they do not question anything. They get them like that so when they leave school, knowing everything, they think no one knows anything they do not know. This is like 99% of people, and this is how gov keep secrets. Arrogance keeps secrets for the gov, more than any security team.

If you have ever heard any group of males talking about football for instance, you will find none of there opinions are worth knowing and they know nout, but they all think they know whats going on. Fools.

This is the reason why i virtually never talk verbally, as most people have nothing to say other than rubbish.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kwhilborn Banned Banned

@ OP,

Try being a magician. Every trick is a scam. If anyone can juggle, they also likely know a few tricks.

@ Andy
    Yes, but after a while you can sometimes play with their boobs.

Your written skills could use polishing. There vs their, etc. Maybe verbal has some advantages. Nout is not a real word by most dictionaries. Trying to talk fancy while making grammar an spelling mistakes seems out of place. I would not normally comment on peoples spelling, etc., but you used the "word" noutnat least three times, and I hope to save you future embarrassments.

back at OP again,
    The University test you describe sounds like it was too obvious. Many people are too shy to speak up even when they know they are right, and some people are very suggestible and can be convinced they were wrong. People who sleepwalk are often very suggestible, and are good "marks" for hypnosis or NLP.

I am interested in what the research was that involved this "scam". If the students giving false readings issued their choices as commands, such as "Number 3 is the correct answer" it could have been an NLP study, etc. Simple conformity testing seems boring.

If you want to do simple magic that has amazing effects on the crowds I recommend to buy a cheap fake thumb as many fantastic tricks can be done with it. i.e. stuff a napkin in your mouth and then shove it in further with fingers and thumb, and pull it out of your mouth concealed in fake thumbtip. It seems an impossible feat when it is gone.

Or ... take a restaurant napkin and hold it over your hand. make a hole in the napkin with your thumb (leaving tip inside that has a tiny bit of water in it). Then take a lit cigarette or any tiny object and shove it into the napkin hole and pres it down using fingers and THUMB. Then you reveal and there is no burn hole or cigarette. It has vanished.

flip a coin 20 times in a row and always call it correctly. When it lands in your hand feel whether it is bumpy or smooth with your real thumb to detect which side is heads and then make sure it flips to side you need.

I know sleight of hand as well that lets me perform a few more tricks with barely any props, but the fake thumb is well worth carrying around. I wish someone would invent a flat one that could be carried in a wallet and rolled up into a fake thumb at a moments notice. It obviously would not look as realistic, but it is easy enough to keep focus elsewhere.

Interesting post.

How is your perception..
    Try this perception test.

[video=youtube;lNGwGGOjifY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNGwGGOjifY[/video]

a heck... one more thumb trick.. its classic and still fools 95%..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q911lnwtN1s

that trick is the same as the one i described in mouth. you can shove it in fist and pull from mouth or vice versa, or even pocket. Welcome to the real scam school.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I got the passes right, but failed the other test.
    I even guessed that something peculiar would happen,
    but to get it right you have to ignore information

Re 2nd Video. What a brilliant trick.
    How did the magician take his thumb off like that?

8. kwhilborn Banned Banned

@ Captain Kremmen,
    Those thumbs can be bought in assorted flesh tones from any magic shop and are often even included in cheap magic trick packages. The amount of illusions that can be done simply moving the handkerchief around from mouth to pocket to hand, etc., can be fun. It is one trick prop worth carrying around in a suit pocket. I am ignoring the innuendo that he removed his real thumb because I have had so much fun with that one item alone.

If I can teach a few mathematicians how to make a kid smile then it's worth it.

I also had failed perception test.

Last edited: May 31, 2013