A law that is completely discriminating?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Diode-Man, Sep 21, 2008.

?

Allowing ONLY Native American Indians to do Peyote religiously is:

1. Descriminatory

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. Desirable

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Irrelevant

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

According to U.S. Law Peyote is legal only for Native American Indians who are practicing religious freedom.

A: If it is for religious purposes then anyone who seeks to connect with nature should be able to use it (who is 18 or perhaps 21 years of age and beyond)

B: Since the law only protects people of native american blood, that is descriminatory.

Why should one man be able to religiously take the substance while another man of differing DNA cannot?

So the white man removed indians from thier lands in order to bring about manifest destiny? (I believe this land is cursed against evil doers) And the only thing they get in benefit is some very small reservations and the right to do peyote while the rest of the contentent cannot?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mathman Valued Senior Member

I suppose one could convert to a native American religion or get adopted by some tribe.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I voted Irrelevant because there are MANY more important issues to deal with. This dinkly little affair isn't even on the radar.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Sounds like a big hastle just to do peyote.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

There should be a "somewhat irrelevant" option I guess.

8. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Shouldn't this thread be in Science & Society?

9. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Native Americans have there own nations and make their own laws.

10. orcot Valued Senior Member

It's a stupid law that forbids you to eat fruits that would make you high.

11. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I think it is indeed discrimination. If you're going to pass a stupid law that gives people the right to take drugs when they would otherwise be forbidden because they believe in some invisible dude in the sky, give that right to everyone, not just native americans.

Or just teach them some biochemistry, so they would realize that the effect is due to a drug and not to being in touch with God.

12. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

You can take certain drugs and be more perceptive on sensory tests. IOW you can discern sounds better. To say that it is the drug and not God is to assume that it cannot be both.

13. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Well, since the Native Americans have slightly differing DNA sequences I put it in here.

Hmm... It does give a different view of reality. It can be a learning experience, which many people have found therapeutic, if done under the right circumstances.

Don't do peyote. If it happens upon you in some strange circumstance, perhaps then it was meant to be? Who knows? Perhaps it should not be sought out?

I agree. God works in many and mysterious ways.

14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The reds have always been "allowed" to eat peyote. So were the rest of us, once upon a time.

It's the rest of us who have been discriminated against, by these new laws.

15. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

It's strange that I could go out in my backyard and into the woods and eat poke root, which, at fairly low doses is a poison
    and that is legal,
    but if I eat some peyote
    or magic mushrooms,
    I have broken the law.

I think I will smoke cigarrettes until I am dead in protest.

16. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

If they opened it to everyone who wanted to religiously connect with nature, then everyone using it would claim to be on a spiritual quest. Rather like the glaucoma epidemic that seems to strike places that legalize medical marijuana.

It seems to me that if you want to smoke drugs, the make the argument that it should be legal, don't co-opt someones religion and use it as fake "cover" for your actions. It's disrespectful to native americans.

That said it's no more discriminatory than giving them a tax exemption. After all, iof you can smoke dope to gain a spiritual connection with Nature on just as deep a level as the native americans do, then why shouldn't you get the same tax benefit they do? Maybe I form my connection with the cosmos through shopping. I clearly need a tax break for that.

17. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

This law is outdated. Simple as that.