A.I. revolution?

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by John J. Bannan, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

It occurs to me that humans can really only learn so much. We are born ignorant and then are trained for years just so we can repair t.v. sets. A.I. does not have this disadvantage. It can become conscious and smarter than Einstein as fast as you can flick a switch. If the limits of A.I. intellect are unbounded, then robots will be able to engineer machines humans literally could never make. This will set off a new technological age. What do you think?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. River Ape Valued Senior Member

I don't want any more machines. For tens of thousands of years, river apes (also known as human beings) evolved to be perfectly suited to their way of life: sitting by the river bank with their children and grandchildren, fishing, gathering nuts, berries and roots, and making hunting expeditions.

Knowledge has enslaved us, and seen us cast out from the Garden of Eden. Only when the world's population has been reduced to a few million will we be able to shed the strains and unnatural burdens of modern living (of which education is the worst) and return to the happy life of the hunter-gatherer for which Nature has fashioned us.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

What's so happy about being a hunter-gatherer? Sounds like a very hard life hunting and gathering. Not to mention a short life - like dying from the innumerable diseases we can now treat or cure. Why kill off almost 6 billion people? Not even Hitler could pull that off.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

HHmm, back to questioning, John?

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

9. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

I didn't know it had a name. Thanks.

10. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

In theory, anyway. But then, in theory humans don't need to have that disadvantage either.

In practice, there are currently no smart AIs, and the first will probably also have to go through similar extensive learning processes to humans.

The first AI that's smart enough to engineer an even smarter AI will kick off exponential growth in possibilities. The future will be even more unpredictable!

11. srikar Registered Senior Member

This is totally wrong... wrong.....
    We are not born ignorant. everything is feeded in our brains. just we have to manifest that.Did you mean that T.v.sets were existed before the humans.who trained us. machines?

A.I. ---belongs to whom?, To humans or machines.

12. draqon Banned Banned

to themselves.

13. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

There are real limits on the processing power of artificial intelligent entities; the minium size of the processors them selves the amount of data than can be held in a given volumeof mass, the speed of light as a limit of processing power, the amount of energy a material can hold before melting...but these limits are very high indeed compared to a human brain.

14. draqon Banned Banned

quantum computers.

15. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

heck, even lower tech then quantum would be optronics, computers that use light instead of electrons as a communications medium, we're already toying with this now with fiberoptic componentry. If one had "optical equivalent" components to transistors, capacitors, diodes, etc., a processor could be made that has extremely low waste heat (so can be clocked at fantastically high speeds), and the lines of communication within the chip could "cross paths" and make a more compact chip because, while a wire doesn't just go through another wire, a beam of light can cross past another beam of light. Such a chip would be solid state, practically invulnerable to EMP, and would be highly energy efficient yet very powerful.

Even this could enable the radical ammounts of potential computing innovation to create AI. Of course quantum would as well, I'm just saying I think we might be practically closer to optical.

16. draqon Banned Banned

D-Wave Sys is a company in its start w/ q.c.

http://www.dwavesys.com/index.php?page=company

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.