A gram of cocain from suntan lotion?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Mystech, May 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

Many hand creams and suntan lotions contain a chemical known as benzocain, which is, in some way similar to cocain.

Up until recently I had been lead to believe that benzocain acctualy was cocain, just given a different name so that giant pharmecutical companies could get away with buying and selling it without people throwing a fit. I got this information from Philip K. Dick(Author of Do Androids Dream of Electric sheep which was the book Blade Runner was based on, and also the short story "The Minority Report" which the movie was based on)'s novel A Scanner Darkly, which is basicaly about a dystopic future in which the 70s drug culture never ended and just kind of grew and grew unill we end up with one wacky future.

Anyway I bought this up with a chemistry major I know online and he set me straight on the issue, that Benzocain is not just emulcified cocain, and sent me this link.

http://www.chemistry.mcmaster.ca/~chem2o6/labmanual/expt9/2o6exp9.html

Oh well, guess my dreams of comming up with a reverse emulcification process and becoming a big time drug dealer are shatterd!

There is hope, however, as he told me that Ridalin, a drug commonly poscripbed to children who are diagnosed with ADD, acctualy has the same effect as cocain, and when snorted could even be more potent. . . Hmmm, possabilities.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Even if you could extract the benzocain (and I realize this is a purely hypothetical joke

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) it would still cost more buying the lotion and then going through the process of purifying it. So much for your hopes(?) eh?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I'm afraid the drug dealers are way ahead of you. Ritalin is commonly sold illegally under the street name 'speed'.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

I hear people make pretty good tweaking meth from legal pseudo-ephedrine.

Once I saw a sad documentary about the things poor russians do to get cheap alcohol... The have a brand of anti-dandruff shampoo that contains a relatively high amount of alcohol (it acts as the solvent for the dandruff) . They throw in a lot of cigarette ash, shake it and let it stand for a day. The sulfur chrystals and some (not all!!!) other awfull chemicals will sink to the bottom, usually they mix it with cheap wodka bought on the black market (wich may contain anything from : kerosine to methanol) to spread the damage a bit....

Personally I am more into homebrew salt-water

Last edited: May 27, 2003
  8. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Poisonous ethanol?

9. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Re: Re: A gram of cocain from suntan lotion?

As a person who has foolishly experimented with drugs, I can tell you that speed is Amphetamine Sulphate. I think the active ingredient in ritalin is Methylphenidate.

I do not recommend getting into any habbits if you value your intelligence, or at least your sanity!

10. river-wind Valued Senior Member

a good friend of mine used to get the money he used to buy pot by selling his subscription Ritalin to other kids to snort... (this was back in HS, about 7 years ago)

Blue_UK is spot on.

11. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

actually "speed" is crystal meth. ritalin is super high doses of caffeine; since caffeine replaced cocain in cola it's not surprising that ritalin may have similar effects to cocain.

12. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

It's true different groups of youth use different words for things, but 'speed' is nearlly always Amphetamine Sulphate. Crystal meth in my experiance is a crazy drug, like a hallucinogenic MDMA. Caffine is a different drug to methylphenidate (ritalin) and caffine was added to coca-cola to make it stimulating and addictive, it's chemical function is quite different to cocaine.

13. rayzinnz Registered Senior Member

Well I've done abused many drugs and I can tell you the effect of all of those are different. Ritalin is my favourite, and I'd take it over cocain, but I'd need to try uncut cocain to really give an opinion.
    Anyway Ritalin is a bit of an epidemic here but they still keep prescribing it to kids who have this contreversial "attention-deficit disorder" which I don't think exists.

P.S. I recommend using drugs and you may fry your brain, but if you lose site of what really important in life and try to blame the path of your actions on other people then your probably better off dead. I hate people like that.

P.P.S and no ritalin is not caffine, maybe your thinking of no-doze or something. Ha ha, have you ever seen an ADD kid on caffine?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.