A force or not a force

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Just Curious, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just Curious Registered Senior Member

Apologies to avid physicists but I need to ask this question about gravity.

From what I have read I cannot decide whether gravity is a force or not. If you read about the Big Bang you find that in the beginning there was one super force made up of the strong and weak nuclear forces, the electromagnetic force and the FORCE of gravity. Some time later the gravity force broke away and went somewhere but it’s not clear where. Then we have Alan Guth’s inflationary theory which says the early universe expanded with exponentially increasing speed, faster than light, and this was powered by a reversal of the FORCE of gravity from an attractive force to a repelling force.

Then we have Einstein’s theory that Gravity is not a force at all but is actually the curvature of spacetime caused by mass.

So which is it? A force or not a force. Or is this the problem physicists have tried to answer for years. The connection between quantum gravity which is a force with cosmological gravity which is the curvature of spacetime.

Any thoughts please.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Please use the thread [thread=91878]here[/thread].

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.