A first experience in Astronomy

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by orange, Mar 23, 2003.

1. orange Registered Senior Member

The sky was dark and clear, and only the stars lit up the sky. It was really beautiful, so I decided to borrow my dads telescope to watch it closer. I focused on a very bright star, and realised it was Jupiter. The four galelian moons Io, Europa, Callisto and Ganymedes were shining in a belt around it. It was just amazing, and when the others went inside to eat, I stayed for a great while to watch it, and other objects. Simply incredible.

What was your first 'amateur-astronomy' moment?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

How big was the telescope?

My first astro experience with a telescope sucked. I couldn't get it to work. Then, the next time, I figured it out. I've gotta take the scope out tonight or tomorrow, it's been too cold lately, but now it's warming up.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. teamaster Registered Member

depends

My first true astronomy moment was having a spotting scope when I was a kid, saw Saturn, watched the moon, and even caught a fireball meteor fade out through the scope.

I have graduated since then to an 8 inch Dob and a handful of eyepieces. It has only gotten better.........

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

I just stared at the moon the entire night. I couldn't, (and still cant), work the thing correctly and the moon was the largest thing in the sky that even i could focus on

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Wish i could stand on the moon..