A Day in the Life of a Geek

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by sHaZbOk, Jun 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sHaZbOk Registered Member

hey,
    i want to learn about geeks/nerds or {insert euphemism here}s. If you happen to fall into one of these categories, i'd love for you to tell me your daily routine. I just wanna know what makes you guys tick. Thanks

shazbok

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ectropic Registered Senior Member

Here we go. First of all I am a web designer/Developer but I do have a girlfriend and I don't live in my parent's basement.

First my roommate slams on my door after he gets out of the shower to wake me up (My alarm has been going off for at least 45 mins by now). I go to weather.com and check out the weather forecast for today so I can pick my clothes. I shower while I listen to a crappy morning show on a classic rock station (My roommate likes it and the shower radio is much to finicky for me to mess with in the AM).

I grab a pop out of the fridge and get in the car for the commute. My roommate and I work in the same building so we carpool. I stare out the window for the entire drive while I wake up. I smoke my first cigarette of the day.

I get to work and I read email, both personal and work. I get started on whatever I need to do that day. Several times I end up walking in and out of the server room to check on projects I am working on.

10:00 AM. Smoke while reading one of the 4 books I am reading. Today's choice is "Small Pieces Loosely Joined" by Weinberger.

I check out Sciforums a couple of time a day, most of the time I check it after my morning break like I am now. Code code code code code...

Lately I have been very busy finishing something that is already late. Most of the site in up on the web, but some of the backend stuff is not automated yet. My part is finished as of today, so I reply to a lot of emails I put off and start researching some things I said I would research (Cost of accepting credit cards through certain banks, what I think would be the right feature set for the next version of some web pages we use, etc.).

Lunch. I eat with my roommate and another friend of mine everyday. Today we will go to a sports bar that has great chicken. Lunch costs $11 after tip. I smoke at least 5 cigarettes on lunch.

Back to work, sometimes there are afternoon meetings, most of the time my routine is very similar to the morning.

Drive home. Smoke two cigarettes.

Get home, kiss my girlfriend. She is studying for her medical records test lately so I end up on my computer. Learning .NET as much as I can right now, but my ambition at home has been minimal lately.

Watch Tivo for a while. There are not many shows that I like, and usually someone else is using the TV so there will be some crap Sit Com on like Will and Grace. When I get the TV to myself I like some of the Space shows on Discovery Science, I like TechTV shows like The Screensavers, XPlay, and Fresh Gear. I love the Sunday night Adult Swim shows too. I try to watch Jeopardy whenever I can.

I might read, play Gameboy Advance or surf the web for most of the night. At bed time I turn on a movie on the computer to watch while I go to sleep. We have probably 100 gig of movies, but aside from 24 Season 1 I have seen them all to many times.

I fall asleep in the glow of a computer screen like "God" intended.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. testify Look, a puppy! Registered Senior Member

Apart from the smoking 20 or so cigs a day I bet that is the life of the average geek. Or maybe most geeks do smoke a pack a day. Hmm, anyone else as bad as Ectropic for a smoking habit?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ectropic Registered Senior Member

No one else has a description of their normal day? Come on!

8. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

I wake up.

Check my messages on aim.

Go shower.

Walk to work (roofing)

Come home.

Read a technical book until i get bored (usually about 2 hours)

Pick up some fiction

Read that while sitting in front of computer

Listen for outlook to tell that a post has been replied to, or talk on aim

Typical day, some times theres a break when I get a call and go chill with some friends

not very geeky, but it works

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.