A credible news source...

Discussion in 'World Events' started by VAKEMP, Dec 17, 2003.

?

Is there a credible news source? If not, would you contribute to the creation of one?

1. There is a credible, unbiased news source. It is ______ (provide in reply).

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. There is no credible, unbiased news source, and I don't care!

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. There is no credible, unbiased news source, I care, but I'm not interested in contributing.

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. There is no credible, unbiased news source, I care, and I am willing to do something about it!

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. VAKEMP Registered Senior Member

Do you think there is a credible, unbiased news source? If so, what is it?

If not, would you be willing to contribute to the creation of one?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ranxer Registered Senior Member

there is no such thing as unbiased.. but there is very and not so very biased..

if you want the true news you must do research..
    you must check many sources.

the major news in the U$ is biased toward the corporate regimes or towards corporations in general.. sure they aren't consistant but that's part of the plan. when the shit hits the fan however, they act like the good puppets they are.

don't get me wrong, there are good reporters doing thier best to get real news out but they are getting fewer and fewer as the system moves towards fluff and state department puppetry.

I'm willing to do something about it, so my effort at rebalancing is to contribute to Democracy Now! principaly and secondly.. npr (for what it's worth), the nation, mother jones, and a few others.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. truth Registered Senior Member

Those sites listed are not exactly unbiased or even close to the middle of the road, in fact I would dare say they may be just a teensy bit biased.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ranxer Registered Senior Member

i didn't say they were unbiased i said there was no such thing..
    i said that my contributions to them are my attempt at rebalancing..

i.e. the standard fare is right leaning and my sources are left leaning.. the truth is somewhere in the middle!

8. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

This is a dawning information age, and we are now and evermore breaking free from limited sources. It's exciting to anticipate a future when we can choose to "be" other people in virtual environments and monitoring whenever we seek to understand what is happening beyond our personal senses. I also anticipate a future when we have outgrown the backward tendency to self-censor, whereby we often summarily categorize information as left/right, comforting/challenging before we even take the time to explore it more than superficially.

My compliments to contributors in the Useful Links/Resources sticky thread: I've enjoyed access to a refreshing diversity of information there.

9. truth Registered Senior Member

If you think ABC, CBS, CNN, LA Post, NY Times, etc. are right leaning, it makes me wonder how you view Fox. I see Fox as more of the middle, the aforementioned are markedly to the left in one degree or another. I look at ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox, Drudge, Townhall, Washington Times for a general all around view.

10. ranxer Registered Senior Member

thats i big ole odd problem of perspectives truth.
    i don't see it that way.

i imagine you havnt seen most of the things i consider left
    making what you see on abc cbs etc. seem left to you.
    from my view they edit the news in a way that leaves out most of
    what i think of as good journalism and the real story for soundbites and sales, and then they let some lies in.

fox goes beyond that and asserts lies from where i sit.

fox as the rest still lets some oddities of truth in.

then there's bill moyers.. he seems to repeatedly standout from even pbs.

ever watched freespeech.org programs?
    or democracynow ?

11. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

If we had an unbiased news source, they would be

-boring
    -contradictive
    -develop some kind of a bias through time.

In other words, nearly everyone with an opinion would disagree and people would hate it for its honesty. Tabloids are in the business of bullshit. As soon as you introduce honesty, the system collapses.

Oh -- and I'm unwilling to help. (destined for failure you see.)

12. Pakman Registered Senior Member

BBC definately has much higher standards than any other news source. They offer both sides of the story, let people have their say, and vote on how revelant the story is.

13. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

there is no such thing as unbiased.. but there is very and not so very biased..

watch german tv , or bbc

14. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Even the BBC has its biases, in fact what bias it has varies depending on whos in power and how much they shake the corporation up, see Mrs Thatcher for example. Unfortunately I dont know what american media is like first hand, so cannot compare so well, but the point remains that the BBC does have more of a reputation for non bias than many other outlets, and you would have to ask why.

You shoudl always remember, who has the money.

15. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

ok , there is no unbiased source , but if a channel ( like bbc ) has biases in many ways , everything is fine !
    isn´t that the meaning of "unbiased media" ?
    bbc is not left , is not right - it´s in the middle

16. norad Registered Senior Member

17. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

The major US media cannot be accurately described as left, right, or center. They run as a herd, and the ratings-grazing is guided with small conviction by marketeers who know that an audience that feels content in the collective is a loyal audience. Drama and crises get hooves moving, but must never cause panicked doubt toward the legitimacy of herdness. CNN, Fox, and the aging TV networks all want the same middle-American audience moving as one, predictably receptive to the message-feed the networks provide. One of these sheep-dogs may have a sharper bark, and another a more playful one, another a beckoning one- but they work for the same profit motive. There are no long-term loyalties, there are no causes in talking-head media conglomerates, other than to Keep America contentedly chewing their favorite, comforting American world-view product. The agenda is the easy sale of information. When political seasons change, the media remorselessly tramples the herd right over yesterday's grand design, heros and all, so long as it keeps the herd plodding along in contented assurance.

However: The acceleration of history is beginning to present the media herdsman with portentious challenges. It is becoming increasingly difficult to reconcile oversimplistic worldviews processed for easy consumption with a dynamic reality that increasingly intrudes, contradicting the familiar media meal.

By the millions, people are gaining access to less centralized and filtered information. The missions and organizational inertia of major media do not allow them to match the quantity and quality of vast, fast new decentralized media that is just coming into being and will outstrip all that came before. Much of the herd are already swinging their ears in new directions, and soon will be cavorting, laughing, and dispersing as the herdsmen are left with only a placid, dumb remnant of the herd, which in the herdsmens' pique will probably be sent immediately and senselessly over a cliff.

18. nico Banned Banned

I agree with norad that the most un-bias english news source there is would probably be the CBC. But what about Reuters, AP, UPA, and other news organizations? I heard that the Belgic have very un-bias new sources. I like DW, and the BBC as well. I can't bare American news apart from CNN... and I take that with a grain of salt.

19. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

But what about Reuters, AP, UPA, and other news organizations?

you can trust them ( at least ap and reuters ) ; they would lose their good name if they would bring incorrect news with intention !

bias-level : minimal to zero

20. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Google News is among the best I think, because it culls from hundreds of news sources worldwide and it's automated. Google has an incentive to be unbiased in their culling.

21. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member