A contradiction of current theory?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by pluto2, May 19, 2009.

1. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

I don't know how to phrase the question but I will try...

It is often taught that temperatures in high pressure semi-arid and arid regions located between latitudes 25° to 40° like in Haifa (Israel) should be in summer very high and much lower at night since there is no cloud cover to prevent the heat from radiating back to space.

However I live there and it isn't so. On a hot day like we had yesterday the temperature was quite the same both during the day and during night. So what is the scientific explanation for this and doesn't this contradict current theory? How does the atmosphere retain the heat of the day during night without cloud cover and why is it different in other nights?

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Many factors, but significantly wind. It does not need to be a howling to keep the temp up. Heat is radiated, conducted and transported (via convection, wind).

How close to the ocean are you, much heat can be transported from water if conditions are right.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

The place where I live is very close to the mediterranean, about 3 km from the sea.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Pictures ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

It is so.

Your weather for May 17: http://www.wunderground.com/history...tml?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA
    For May 18: http://www.wunderground.com/history...tml?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Similar weather on both days. May 17 had a low of 64 F (17.8 C) and a high of 96 F (35.6 C). May 18, 66 F (18.9 C) for a low and 99 F (37.2 C) for a high. That's a swing of 32 F (17.8 C) on May 17 and a swing of 33 F (18.3 C) on May 18. That's a considerably larger temperature range than experienced in a hot and humid place. For example, Houston has a high in the low to mid 90s and a low in the mid to upper 70s in the summer: a much smaller temperature range, largely due to humidity.