a civilisation without spirituality?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Mar 7, 2006.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

is there a recorded civilisation with written records or scripts, that tells us they had no type of spiritual/holy/religious/ teachings or methods.

has there been a people or culture that has no links with anything spiritual atall whatsoever?

peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

hmmm well?

anyone?

peace.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

My guess is that there is no such culture.

Humans seem to have an innate tendency to ask why is . . . . . so? They also seem to have an innate desire to come up with the answer to that type of question.

Long before the dawn of recorded history, it seems reasonable to assume that such questions were answered by statements such as "There is a tree entity that makes trees grow." "There is a rain entity that makes it rain." "The sun is an entity that sleeps at night and makes a fire during the day."

At first, the entities were probably not viewed as all powerful like gods, each having responsibility for only one or two natural processes. Long before there was writing, there were probablly shamans who embellished the capabilities of the entities used to explain the unknown.

By the time humans had writing, religions had been established. I view religion as early science that never developed beyond primitive notions of reality.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

nice! it attempts an explanation does as science does

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

not to sound like a caveman,

but that to me isnt so stupid, "a tree has a creator" "rain comes from cloud" etc etc, that to me sounds right,

dosent everything have to be created by something else? how can something exist if something else didnt bring it there?

how is it possible to explain that? it must be a never ending cycle that had no beggining atall. otherwise how?

by the way im not implying anything about a god or deity, just saying is all,

damn those cavemen were smart, we could learn something fromt hem.

peace.

9. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

EmptyForceofChi: God is a belief, not an explanation.

God is far more complex than the concepts, creatures, and processes he is invoked to explain.

An explanation less understandable than the the concept being expained is not an explanation.

I do not argue matters of faith, but I object to religion being referred to as an explanation. Whenever you ask difficult questions, you get copouts like.
    • Finite man cannot understand an infinite god.

• God works in mysterious ways.

• It is not for man to know god's plans.
    When somebody tells me that he has faith in god, I do not argue with him. I have faith in the truth of diifferent concepts like various axioms of logic. When somebody tells me that religion provides explanations, I consider him delusional or illogical or otherwise misguided.

10. Slacker47 Paint it Black Registered Senior Member

is there a recorded civilisation with written records or scripts, that tells us they had no type of spiritual/holy/religious/ teachings or methods.

has there been a people or culture that has no links with anything spiritual atall whatsoever?
    To original:

IMPOSSIBLE! It wouldnt be a civilisation at all. Civilisation must have culture. However, as an anarchist, one would be alone. This negates civilisation. In this way, there would be a group of people acting independantly of each other. Maybe they have thier own individual beliefs, but since they are nnot connected, no civility.

Other than that, i know not of a civilisation w/o culture. Even canniblas are cultural. If one looks to lower and lower life forms, culture seems to stop, but does it? Perhaps bacteria and viruses celebrate in thier destructive processes.

11. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

you sound like a daoist.

but i can conflict with daoism too if paths are crossed,

well freedom of thought consciousness and awareness are funny things, see it is actually possible for a human mind to figure out the universe, but heres the bastard, the human will never know if he knows because nobody can tell him he is right. but we are capable of comprehending infinite energy gods etc, or we wouldent be talking about the concept of one right now,

peace,