A Breakthrough in Small Arms Design

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Flintlock, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

The biggest problem with metalstorm is that can't make guns that fire supersonic rifle or assault rifle rounds. They can only fire large stubby rounds like handgun caliber and grenades.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

One thing an SP(security police, USAF) gave to me was that the G-11's blocky design made it difficult to hold it in certain ways. With the M-16 you can wrap your hand around pretty much anywhere. I'd have to defer to army vets on this becuase they have more experience, but being able to just grab the rifle and correct your grip on the run seems to me to be practical.
    Problem is the Geneva Conventions. Probably why Flintlock is going with a 6.6mm round, you get this without having to violate international law. Isreal has enough trouble as it is.

I'd say, the Warthog Territory has more military on it, probably help if you went somewhere where you can get feedback from more people who actually do these things. They're picky though, if they think you're wasting space you'll be kicked.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

Spurious, the pistol you shot was probably a true Browning. All Brownings
    used to be made in Belgium. Belgium is noted for its high quality firearms.
    Also, as a medic, you would have been highly respected by the infantrymen
    (grunts, booneyrats,etc.) in Vietnam. It was a very dangerious job. Off subject, I know, but a short little example that does tie in with the 'wounding'
    aspect. At one time we came under ambush at night. A member of my squad
    was shot close to me. It was a sucking chest wound, the bullet entering the lung. I moved over to him and held one shoulder while another member held
    the other shoulder to keep him steady while the medic came up to try to
    seal the wound so the injured man could breath. The medic was holding
    the wounded man's head between his knees while he worked on him, but
    it was too dark to see what he was doing. He knew the risks, but he turned
    on a small pen light, trying to shield its glare with his hand. The medic was
    dead in about three seconds, killed while trying to save a comrade. The
    injuried man also died shortly thereafter. So 'instant death' is not always
    preferred from an enemy's prespective, but in close combat situations, it is
    as Flintlock says, you want to be able to lay down a great amount of fire
    in a short period of time, although a small caliber is also effective. It is just
    that a small caliber weapon is normally easier to control on full auto fire, and
    more ammo can be loaded into same sized magazines. Again, common sense,
    but the best weapon in such a situation is short and light so it can be moved
    around quickly, and controlable on full auto. But that type of weapon does not make a very good gun for firefights that occur at 300-400 yard ranges.
    Then accuracy on semi-auto is what is desired. If only one rifle is to be used
    for both situations, it is a compromise, which is why the M-16 is such a good
    weapon if dust is not such a problem. It is made in short-barreled versions
    with a collapsing stock for close range combat and, at least in civilian versions, a heavy-barreled target model that is very accurate at long ranges.
    The caseless ammo weapons do seem to offer a lot of advantages if they can
    be made completely reliable and hold up to stresses of combat. Spare magazines will be subject to a lot of abuse, such as getting banged against walls while the soldier is in combat, and maybe not applicapable in the Middle
    East so much, but being submerged in water for extended periods while crossing a river, for example. Holes for drainage are necessary, but that will
    also let in dust in other situations. Compromises.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Flintlock Registered Senior Member

How many times to I have to say it? IT'S NOT A G11! IT IS A COMPLETELY NEW FIREARM! And it's actually easier to grip than the M-16. And Gifted, The Americans and Europeans have been complaining about us for decades, we don't give a damn what they say though, we do what we need to do to survive. "Legal" trouble for Israel was not at all my reason for switching to 6.6, just range and stopping power. Arabs can be fanatical in combat, so the "better wound than kill" thing doesn't work very much in such a situation. The bullet is not much bigger than the 5.56, it's just a little fatter and longer

Last edited: Apr 30, 2004
  8. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I was refering to the G-11 to point out the grip problem. I suppose that if you're not concerned about the legality of a bullet, that's not a problem.

Would parrafin effect the powder's ability to combust? It would make the cartridge waterproof(an alternative would be a hermetic seal on the magazine broken by the gun when loaded), and if you make a SLIGHTLY malleable material, it would dent rather than scratch or break, making it more durable.

9. Flintlock Registered Senior Member

I've already solved that problem, and it's not much different to the way the G11 solves it, but improved of course.

10. LeoDV Obstinate idiot Registered Senior Member

I'm not a veteran, but if I had to design small arms, I would look at reliability and affordability first. What's the best-selling machinegun in the world? The H&K G-36? The FAMAS? Nope, it's the AK. What did IMI, since you talk about them, take their inspiration from when they needed a machinegun? The AK, because they needed something that would throw a bullet when you squeezed the trigger. Not something lightweit, or with caseless ammunition. A rifle you could still use in the middle of a sandstorm, after dragging it for days without cleanup.

You mention caseless ammunition. That's nice, but why do you think the German army didn't develop the caselss G-11? Because of the end of the Cold War, sure. But also because it's a lot more convenient to use one of the most widespread rounds, the NATO .223. I doubt many armed or police forces will buy your design if they find they'll be dependent on you for ammo. Once again, you can find AK rounds (almost) anywhere. Even for the OICW the Army didn't consider caseless ammo, they liked the NATO standard better.

A great rifle on paper is one thing, and one cool thing at that, but that's it. If I had to be dropped in the middle of a jungle or a desert tommorrow, I would want to know that my rifle will throw lead at someone when I squeeze the trigger, not that it has an exceptional firerate or operating range or that it uses revolutionary caseless ammo.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Flintlock,

if you solves this problem can you show us how?

12. Flintlock Registered Senior Member

Tzahal realizes that soldiers are more expensive than small arms, and my rifle is very cheap, simple, and reliable. So is the ammo, more so than cased in fact (yes I know, you don't believe me). If I was in combat I would want a rifle that wouldn't leave me with an empty mag when some sex starved martyr with an AK was 10 meters in front of me. And no Fetus,
    I'm afraid I can't give away technical details, that's not the reason I started this thread. I just wanted to see if a vet would like the performance and what kinds of new features someone would like to see on a new rifle. I haven't gotten much feedback in that department so far.

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Well then your just a carpetbagger! You tell us “Oh I got this thing its so great!” and were like “oh cool how’s it work” and then your like “can’t tell you.” wow then how are we to know thing can even work???

14. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Flintlock: Would you like a better gun?
    Others: sure, what do you suugest
    Flintlock: can't say

Wasn't you're purpose for starting this thread slightly... rhetorical?

15. Flintlock Registered Senior Member

If you don't believe it works, that's fine, I don't care. I wanted ideas from people who have experience with this stuff on specific features they'd like to see in it. If you ask me a question about the exterior of the gun or about how user freindly it is I may be able to answer you.

16. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

but how can we beleive you? not unless we see diagrams of it, feel and try prototypes,etc then we will beleive you.

17. Flintlock Registered Senior Member

I wish I could give you some info, but I cannot risk it. Like I said, ask me a specific question and I may be able to answer it. And does anyone here have anything they might want to see on a new rifle? C'mon, someone must have something to say about that. How about something dealing with the user interface? I'll try to upload a basic sketch of the layout of the weapon.

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

how is a round loaded into the breach?

19. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The SPs probably wouldn't mind a gun they can fire in a hanger filled with fuel vapors.

20. Flintlock Registered Senior Member

You stick your hand down through the bottom of the stock and load it on the inside of the heel. It's not very easy to do without the magazine.

Last edited: May 8, 2004
  21. Flintlock Registered Senior Member

What do you mean by SPs? Still working on uploading the sketch btw, damn I suck with computers!

22. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

the problem with the design of small arms is that they are not proportional to the rest of the body

23. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

That's an intersting point. Here's what I came up with thinking about it:

The cost of moving wounded could be considered a sunk cost if you consider that there exists a maximum throughput. You have x number of med people and if they're all busy, the capacity is maxed. What I mean is that the logistical concerns are fixed before battle, so I don't know if the the logistics aspect of whether or not a solider is wounded or killed comes into play in the context you offered it.

Dead men don't come back to fight another day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.