a book called empty planet

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by riku_124, Nov 11, 2006.

1. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

i was watching criminal minds and it was about a boo kcalled empty planet, fro mwhat i understnd t is pretty hold nowadays, has anyone been to a book store and seen it on the shelves, or if you know hwta book stores it would be at, would it be at a barnes and nobles, if not where?

2. Roman Banned

google.com

3. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

I think the book was a part of the story and not real, from what I found on google anyway - tv.com forum discussing show

Couldn't find a book called 'empty planet' on amazon.

Doubly fictional!

4. steeldragon Registered Member

dose anyone know what allegro is or were its from

5. steeldragon Registered Member

dose anyone know the origens of allegro i think it mite be part of a legend or a myth

6. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

The car?
    The musical term?
    Be specific.

7. steeldragon Registered Member

im trying to work out the mystery of the criminal minds episode in relation to riku_124's blog i think it mite be related to a myth or legend il have to investigate

8. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

riku_124 hasn't been here for a year so you might have difficulty getting any answer.

9. steeldragon Registered Member

ah but its worth looking in to

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

So is a telescope!;)

11. AversaS Registered Member

So this is an old thread, but I had to join after seeing it. I just watched this episode, and heard this reference. I instantly recognized what book they were referring to, although they changed the title, and a few of the facts (but not drastically). The name of the book is "Brave New World," and it was written by Aldous Huxley. GREAT book! :)

So yes, this is not a double fiction reference. Just simply an attempt not to have to pay royalties :)

12. superstring01 Timelord in training. Moderator

OMG, I just saw that episode too!

I was going to look for it as well.

~String

13. arkSEEKER86 Registered Member

I think they were referencing terminator with a few additions. John Connor was around the same age in the second movie. And in the series and movies they killed the people responsible. It sounds a lot like the series. Except for the killing mom thing. They twisted the plot more than a bit and made it very original. I could be wrong. IDK.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  14. lxxssxxl Registered Member

Empty Planet vs Brave New World

After doing a bit of searching myself, I've stumbled across several people who have said that Empty Planet was essentially Brave New World renamed for legality issues. However, I found that the description of Empty Planet in the episode itself reflected only the generalized ideals in Brave New World. If you're really expecting a book where the machines have over run society and that the only salvation of human kind is an army raised by a twelve year old, you may be disappoint. More than anything, I believe the connect may be the metaphorical ideals behind the books, not an actual specific description of the book.

15. Noizboy Registered Member

As another twist the author in the story is Ursula Kent and Ursula K. Le Guin, a noted Sifi and fantasy author who writes a lot of socially focused stories She lives in Portland Oregon but one of her most known works "The Left Hand of Darkness" takes place in Seattle.