A Bit of History Triva

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Jolly Rodger, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Jolly Rodger Banned Banned

Hello...... I have have been having trouble working out some history triva I have been having many disagrements with people over this subject and i want to hear what some knowegle peoples have to say about it. What was the name of the person who invented the wheel? I have been told it was years ago but someone must know, yes?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John Mace Registered Senior Member

I thought everyone knew that it was that guy Ugh who invented the wheel. Some would say it was BC of comic strip fame, but it was definitely Ugh.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jolly Rodger Banned Banned

reply to john

thank you very much i have never heard of this comic strip based on this inventer ugh, if you could tell me his last name i will be able to research this man more! thank you!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Most will say it was Ugh, but I heard from a friend of a friend of a direct lineal descendant from Ugh that in fact, it was his mate Urgh.

Ugh and Urgh collaborated on the project initially, after Urgh got the idea after being hit by a doughnut-shaped boulder during a landslide. This caused Urgh to have an epiphany similar to Newton's thousands of years later when hit by that famous apple. Being the trusting sort of pre-human he was, Urgh told his friend Ugh about it and the two began work.

Unfortunately, the two had a falling out immediately after the first prototype was developed, which some say was the fault of Yurgo Uhno, Ugh's paramour. Apparently she wanted one of the new-fangled mud huts which were in vogue at the time, instead of the stinky old cave they were sharing with three other couples and a pet Smilodon, and urged Ugh to take more than his fair share of the profits by getting rid of Urgh.

Thus resulted one of the first recorded cases of corporate piracy in history. As proof, one could still see both Urgh's and Ugh's names etched into the rock of the first wheel, until Yurgo Uhno rolled the prototype over a cliff in order to destroy the evidence. Later versions had only Ugh's name chiselled into them, hence the current popular misconception as to it's inventor.

Urgh met an unfortunate demise at the hands of the smilodon (rumoured to have been seduced into the act by Yurgo) a year later while out gathering nuts. Ugh and Yurgo lived to the ripe old ages of 14 and 17 respectively in their comfortable little mud hut with their new found pet smilodon, which only goes to prove that on some occasions crime does, in fact, pay rather well.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2003
  8. Coldrake Registered Senior Member

I think Ugh's last name was A. Ugh A.

9. adam2314 Registered Senior Member

are you wheely asking this question for wheel ???..

10. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

My famly is famis 4 tran invenshans, i think it wuz my grate grand pa that invinted it. (The weel.)

11. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Jolly Rodger

I think you under-estimate how inredibly old the wheel is. We're talking a few years younger than man-made fire.

12. Virgin Banned Banned

There’re certain things in life that came to existence without having enjoyed the “great discovery” status. The wheel is one, the shoe is another, just to mention few.
    There is also beliefs that the predecessor or discovery quantum to the wheel, was the ball
    or perhaps better phrased, the rolling properties and consequently the effect of rounded rocks.

Which ever way you look at it, discussing or arguing on the invention of the wheel, is a dead end. It only serves to stimulate or exercise the 100 billion neurons in our brain, and only fanatics would have a change at winning the case.

13. Coldrake Registered Senior Member

Is the wheel older than white bread? I've always heard "that's the best thing since white bread." When did white bread come about? And who actually invented it?

But then again, I don't want to stimulate those 100 billion neurons with this question.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Firefly Registered Senior Member

I thought the saying was "best thing since sliced bread"?

edit - and there's an identical thread here, I hate it when that happens!!

15. Coldrake Registered Senior Member

OK. I change my question to 'who invented sliced bread'? It's not too late is it?

I was wondering how I got on the science board.

16. Firefly Registered Senior Member

Well yeah, cos they'd've made bread way before they could cut it.

17. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

will you guys PLEEZE stop making me laugh in this forum! for heaven's sake! white bread, indeed!

18. platzapS Registered Senior Member

an actual answer

Jolly Rodger, I was taught in school that the ancient Sumerians invented the wheel, along with the 60-minute based time systems, 360-degree circle geometry, and cuneiform writing. I don't know when it was--around 3000 BC, I'd guess.

19. Jolly Rodger Banned Banned

i think it was the africans

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The Invention of the Wheel
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Mary Bellis
    The wheel is everywhere on all our cars, trains, planes, machines, wagons, and most factory and farm equipment. What could we move without wheels? But as important as the wheel is as an invention, we don't know who exactly made the first wheel. The oldest wheel found in archeological excavations was discovered in what was Mesopotamia and is believed to be over fifty-five hundred years old.

The following steps and developments took place to invent a functioning wheel, more or less in this order:

Humans realized that heavy objects could be moved easier if something round (e.g. a tree log) was placed under it and the object rolled over it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Humans also realized a way to move heavy objects, with an invention archeologists call the sledge. Logs or sticks were placed under an object and used to drag the heavy object, like a sled and a wedge put together.

Humans thought to use the round logs and a sledge together.

Humans used several logs or rollers in a row, dragging the sledge over one roller to the next.

With time the sledges started to wear grooves into the rollers and humans noticed that the grooved rollers actually worked better, carrying the object further. This was simple physics, if the grooves had a smaller circumference than the unworn parts of the roller, then dragging the sledge in the grooves required less energy to create a turning motion but created a greater distance covered when the larger part of the log roller turned.

The log roller was becoming a wheel, humans cut away the wood between the two inner grooves to create what is called an axle.

Wooden pegs were used to fix the sledge, so that when it rested on the rollers it did not move, but allowed the axle to turn in-between the pegs, the axle and wheels now created all the movement. These were the first carts.

Improvements to the cart were made. The pegs were replaced with holes carved into the cart frame, the axle was placed through the hole. This made it necessary for the larger wheels and thinner axle to be separate pieces. The wheels were attached to both sides of the axle.

Next. the fixed axle was invented, where the axle does not turn but is solidly connected to the cart frame. Only the wheels did the revolving by being fitted onto the axle in a way that allowed the wheels to rotate. Fixed axles made for stable carts that could turn corners better. By this time the wheel can be considered a complete invention.

The rest is history...

http://inventors.about.com/mbiopage.htm

21. Thersites Registered Senior Member

The real genius was the one who patented it.

Canned food was invented many years before the can opener so hardly anyone ate it. This was a good thing actually, as early cans were sealed with lead so the people who did eat canned food got lead poisoning. This was one of the things which did for Sir John Franklin's Arctic exploration expedition. The ships were fitted with the latest devices including lots of canned food [with hammers and chisels to open the cans].