64 bit Ubuntu alternative help

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by AlphaNumeric, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Just got myself an i5 CPU and a P67 motherboard (without the SATA bug!). I want to put Ubuntu on it and I want to use the LVM encryption tool which comes with the alternative iso. On the download page the only 64 bit file talks about AMD, saying to use the Intel x86 file otherwise, but I can't see a 64 bit version of the Intel file. The desktop version comes in 32 bit and 64 bit flavours and makes no mention of Intel vs AMD.

Am I missing something? Is the 'Intel 64bit version' of Ubuntu just the 32 bit version? Am I not seeing a file I should? I could use the desktop version and then sort out the encryption afterwards but its better to do it pre-installation.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

I found the problem. Your trying to use linux.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Just get the "AMD64" version. "Intel x86" and "AMD64" are the names of processor instruction sets. The Ubuntu download page is calling the the 32 bit instruction set "Intel x86" because Intel established it and other 32 bit CPU vendors (like AMD) implemented it on their own processors. With 64 bit CPUs, it's actually AMD that released the first 64 bit desktop processors, so AMD established the standard 64 bit instruction set and Intel had to follow suit and implement it on their own chips. "Intel 64" is basically a clone of "AMD64".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Rather than what, Windows? I've been using Linux for about 3 years now and I find it infinitely preferable to Windows. It took a week or so to get used to command line stuff and initially I kept thinking "Why can't they just install stuff by clicking 'okay'" but now I miss the terminal when I'm forced to use Windows. A lot of my work involves numerical computations and throwing around huge data files for processing and Linux makes it much easier and so much of the open source stuff I use can be installed from the software centre. Sure, Ubuntu isn't particularly hardcore when it comes to Linux but I only even give Windows the time of day when it comes to my HTPC, because MediaPortal is easier to setup than MythTV (though lacks much of its functionality). Even there I'm using XP because Windows Vista and Windows 7 are either shite or bloated.

Thanks przyk, I'll give that a try.

/edit

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=469102

Looks like I'm not the first to be confused.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.