6 year old hand cuffed

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by sifreak21, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

I'd put the real blame on her parents for not being able to teach their child self control. The parents of this child are responsible for what her actions are not the teachers. If the parents cannot teach their own child that she should listen to her teachers and do as they say then they have failed as parents to do their jobs and should ultimately be held to blame for their child's behavior. If the parents cannot control their child how are the teachers supposed to control her?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

The man is under arrest now and is charged with 2nd degree murder so why don't you say that or are you so uninformed as to what the developments are?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

well didnt know we should resort to personal attacks. But if a stutend is causing harm to other people teachers CAN physically restrain the student to prevent further harm. and or we could sit down and talk, make a letter every students parents must sign that stats if their child is acting violent they can be physically restrained these ways.. if the parent doesnt sign there child either cannot go to the school. or the school has the rights to call the police or go after the parents.

tho something NEEDS changed teachers need to beable to do something within reason with no repercutions

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

8. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Then arrest the parents if the child becomes violent, that way at least they MIGHT get the message as to the problem.

9. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

problem is there is way to much power in the hands of children now adays. when i was a kid if i did this i woulda got a woopin from mom AND dad. but if they didnt spank. i gaurentee id be in prision right now

10. Literphor I is for ignorance Registered Member

When it comes to children you have to be really careful with what you do...certainly it'd be easy to restrain him, but the problem is how.

I'd be afraid to put my hands on him, lest it be misconstrued as molestation.
    I'd be afraid to put my hands on him, because he may hurt himself in the struggle.
    I'd be afraid not to put my hands on him, because his behavior may hurt someone else, or himself.

Whatever the outcome the officer would have been held responsible. I think he took the safest route as someone who probably hasn't had formal training with children.

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

When educators give up the ghost

As one who spends a couple days a week working with young children in a local public school, I can't imagine cuffing and charging our students. In the time I've volunteered in this program, I have seen teachers struck and even bitten, and, yes, children knocking over furniture. This includes students in both our autistic- and normal-spectrum programs.

People seem to forget that children are children. Turns out that one of our brightest students is also one of our most disruptive. I know, it sounds odd, but there was an occasion a couple weeks ago on which both a teacher and I paused and looked at each other suspiciously. It was just way too quiet in the room.

I looked around, did a quick head count, and said, "Oh, ______ isn't here today."

For all the time we spend fretting about our regular disciplinary problems, it had not yet occurred to us just how much disruption came from a bright student who was doing nothing more than trying, as so many children do, to please the adults in charge. Now, certainly, that's not anything near to the minor violence we endure from other students, but it certainly is a contributing factor to other misbehavior. It's kind of like Sciforums, actually; some students just don't grasp the difference between speaking out of turn to say, "Look! I did it!" and "Fuck off!"

Hell, in one case, if we were like these school officials having kids arrested and charged, one of our students would already be a registered sex offender deemed perpetually dangerous to the community, as he happens to be something of a champion masturbator.

We don't have him arrested, though. Rather, we try to teach him that there is a time and a place for such things, and the middle of the schoolyard during morning recess just isn't a suitable time for self-gratification.

The questions of how to deal with serious misbehavior are somewhat complicated, but having the kids arrested and charged with crimes? That just tells me that the teachers and administrators have given up, and need to find another career.

I mean, we could just give up on our furious wanker and have him arrested, I suppose, but why?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  12. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Because furiously wanking does not make him a danger to himself and others?

This girl apparently was, or at least that's what the people at the school thought, (she is said to have pushed two other kids and injured the principle and was breaking and throwing things (which of course can cause more serious injury) and since none of us were there, and with the little we have to go on, it's tough to say if this was or wasn't an appropriate response.

But since there are 20 million kids from 5 to 9 in the US, so one would expect that we would see occasional EPIC tantrums, that go beyond the norm and maybe exceed normal means of dealing with them.

13. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

It's because people are scared shitless of being sued. The don't know if they can grab the girl and restrain her, what if something happens, blah blah blah.... people are worried the State will fire them, the media will ridicule them and worse of all a $19.95 lawyer will make their name out of them - so they call the police, who do what they're taught to legally do to restrain a person. Cuffs.

Another sad example of American culture I'm afraid

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

This and That

Updates suggest that earlier reports stating that the girl was charged with assault are incorrect. According to Bernard O'Donnell of WMAZ:

Swicord said the girl was taken in handcuffs to the police station. There, the cuffs were removed and the girl was taken to a meeting room and given something to drink while officers continued trying to reach family.

Which is some small comfort.

Still, though, some might ask why one would handcuff and transport the child. We should remember that this is Georgia.

• • •​

Try wanking in the local schoolyard. Get back to us and let us know how it went.

Notes:

O'Donnell, "Milledgeville Chief Defends Handcuffing". WMAZ. April 17, 2012. 13WMAZ.com. April 19, 2012. http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/178578/175/Milledgeville-Chief-Defends-Handcuffing

15. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

16. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

How about to keep her from hurting herself and others?

It also makes more sense why the police were called, because even after all that time they still couldn't reach the parents and taking her to the station also makes sense since you don't want to take patrol cop off duty indefinately, and you have rooms there where she can be kept, and observed and there is nothing to break or throw.

17. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

What....

....the

....shit.

She's a 6 year old kid. What next? Charging babies with criminal offences for crying? Tasering them when they poop somewhere other than their potty?

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Seems this is more than just one stupid isolated incident for instance this article

Inflating a condom is now an offence?

19. Bells Staff Member

And instead, the school, its staff, police all get to be ridiculed that the teacher was unable to deal with a 6 year old girl in the middle of a tantrum, nor was the principal who apparently felt threatened enough by said 6 year old's tantrum that the police were called, the 6 year old cuffed by police officers and taken to a police station (apparently not charged)..

I mean really, a frigging 6 year old..

I'm surprised they didn't taser her or spray her with pepper spray. Although I guess if she'd thrown a tantrum in a supermarket lolly aisle, that could have been a possibility.

I dropped my kids off at school this morning and went into my 6 year old's classroom and had a brief chat to his teacher and she and I actually joked about this case. I asked her, would such a case ever happen here and she snorted with laughter and said no. A tantrum is what children do, because they are children and if adults can't handle a child having a tantrum, then said adults have no place trying to teach them.

But as Tiassa said, this is Georgia in the US and I guess will be something that we here, on this side of the pond, will simply roll our eyes and say 'only in America'..

Magnificent!

:worship:

20. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

She wasn't charged with anything.

But the facts support the school's decision, which seems clearly related to ensuring the safety of the child.

What we have learned is that the police were only called when the kid's parents could not be located, and only took her to the police station when the police couldn't calm her down.

We also found out that the child had run away from school several times before and that in this outburst she had injured other students and teachers and was throwing and breaking things, both of which were dangerous to herself and others.

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The obvious question

Uh-huh. Whatever excuse you can come up with?

22. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Nope, that's what the police chief said, and his officer was on the scene, while neither you nor I was.

Swicord added that Johnson was handcuffed for her safety as well as the safety of others

23. Bells Staff Member

Have you ever seen a child throw a tantrum?

If this was in America, the police would have been called, the child handcuffed and taken to the police station.