55 foot snake

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Orleander, Dec 23, 2009.

1. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Funny thing about snakes...they can move places. Funny thing about captivity...you cant.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

My viewpoint on this has recently changed 180 degrees. I made a thread about this viewpoint in my 'Kill ALL bugs thread'. Of course the title was hyperbolic, but i was putting for the theory of why do we need all these bugs, snakes and dangerous creatures? Perhaps humans have come to the wrong impressions from what they viewed in nature. This is my recent theory and is just for discussion purposes. Before people get all excited.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Its like a great artwork and valuable simply for its size. Can't believe there are some many philistines in this forum... Thats to you shichimenshyo and John99.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I cant believe that you are so pretentious as to view another living thing as a piece of artwork to be put on display for your amusment.Thats to you blindman.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But the snake was only doing what it needed in order to survive, the humans that killed it did it for their enjoyment, not to eat it. Of course that is my OPINION of what it looks like happened to this snake.

9. John99 Banned Banned

Doesnt look to me like they "did it for their enjoyment".

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Mosquitoes with malaria only suck human blood to survive ....should we let them live and thrive? How far do you wish to take your silly idealism? Ameoba-level? Spider-level? Rats with bubonic plague level?

Hey, don't the swine flu virus "bugs" infect human hosts to survive? So we shouldn't kill them, right? Wanna' keep going with this idealism? It is kinda' fun, ain't it.

Baron Max

11. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

There's enough self-impressed bullshit in this thread to fertilize the cornfields of Nebraska.

A shame such a specimen was killed or even found. Reminds me of Gustave in Africa, a similar type of situation.

12. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I know, I really like especially large animals (my fav is the blue whale). When I saw that bloodied head I feel sad.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

This is mild compared to some of the bullshit that goes on around here! Wait til you've been here for a while, you'll either be sick and puke a lot, or you'll end up laughing your ass off.

Baron Max

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Yeah, its why I didn't include the story. It may be fake, but what about the picture??
    Does the snake look bigger than it really is because of the angle of the shot?

Does this kind of snake continue growing throughout its life if it has a reliable food source?

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I don't think snakes ever stop growing. Well.. until they die of course

16. greenboy Registered Senior Member

natural ecosystem

If we are real keeper, the natural ecosystem should be left unmolested by human presence, that's my opinion.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Too late!

18. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I Agree with that. The only problem is that whenever there's a conflict between humans and nature (and that's pretty constant), except for things like hurricanes, earthquakes, etc., the humans *always* win.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I spent quite a bit of time with a ruler, measuring the snake, the people, and the artifacts. My opinion is that if that snake is really approximately fifty feet long, and everything in the frame is proportional, then those two people have to be over six feet. Which is extremely rare for women in the Third World, outside of some places in Africa. Another poster made a similar remark about the vehicle, that it couldn't be as large as it would have to be.

Therefore, if that's his true length, then things are not proportional and the photo is making him look smaller than he really is.

Camera lenses can actually do that. This photo almost certainly had to be taken with a wide-angle lens, to capture so much height in the middle of a forest where the photographer couldn't just step back thirty feet to get a better shot. And wide-angle lenses do indeed make things look smaller the closer they are to the edge of the frame.

This is why TV actors have so much trouble managing their weight. TV shows are usually shot with wide-angle lenses because of the limitations of the studio. So whoever is in the middle of a shot tends to look fatter than they really are, while things at the fringe look smaller.

No, Oprah didn't pay me to say that!

20. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Mosquitoes thrive because mammals thrive, malaria thrives because mosquitoes thrive...it's simple as that.

21. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

it appears to be a retic to me.

and I am willing to say its certainaly not 55 feet. no snake verified has ever been measured over 40 feet let alone 50 the longest is 33 or 34 feet for a green anaconda.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  22. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

there is no way 2 people could have safely contained a snake of 15 to 18 feet let alone a true 55 foot giant.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

If they had a cellphone they could have called in their buddies to help. That snake would be worth a fortune alive.