500GB External $39?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by darksidZz, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I'm tempted to go buy this right now http://www.frys.com/product/6167279 But I am also not sure, you see it's a Hitachi hard drive and I've heard bad things about them, it seems they are actually IBM but were bought out idk ;-/ What do you guys think is it safe? I need a new one for more stuff but this looks to good to be true honestly. And it's so new there aren't alot of reviews on whether it fails in 2 weeks or not lol If I go by the past reviews then it will suck =/ your thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

$40 is not exactly bank busting, so it could be worth the risk, however do note that although it will give you 500gb storage, you are talking about USB 2.0 speeds of data transfer, so it would take you a while if you ever wanted to move what was stored some place else.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Well I've been researching it, seems like inside is a Deskstar aka Deathstar people name it. idk im so tempted, but I looked around at internal deskstar reviews and while many said they were fine some said they failed a few months later we'll see what i decide :Z ty Stryder

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why not buy it, use it and see how it works for a week oe so and if it doesn't work the way you want it to send it back.

8. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

You are rite, I bought it :/ it was really just 39 bucks, 42 with tax and a drink :Z It's dead silent too unlike my other one =|~ I'm gonna keep both but now my USB powered mini speakers dun work (ran outta ports) lol oh well :Z I'll tell u if it fails I'm formatting it into ext4 since I'm using Ubuntu Maverick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.