5000 birds falling from the sky in Arkansas

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Syzygys, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fall Caesar Registered Member

First and foremost, Al Gore is an idiot.

Maybe the birds died because they ate the dead crabs.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

apparently you missed my post..
    hot = melted ice..
    ice cools ocean..
    its not gonna be a full blown ice age.
    just gonna get cold before it gets hot..
    hmm..what does cold do to pollution?

beasts? did i miss something? i thought it was birds and fish..
    is there any beast stories?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Silkworm Registered Senior Member

Apparently, die-offs like these happen quite a bit. A lot of it probably has to due with the massive pollution from runoff into our waterways, but there are other causes as well.

For those who have not seen it, here is the Aflockalypse on Google Maps.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

Aflockalypse, nice, how did I miss that one?

8. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

hmm..interesting..the majority is in the U.S.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Really? How?

10. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

11. TheVisitor The Journey is the Reward Registered Senior Member

I didn't miss your post. I saw the movie "The Day After Tomorrow"...

Global warming melts ice cools ocean etc, etc...
    Except if you'll notice it wasn't the ice cooling the oceans that caused the trouble.
    It was the de-salinization of the saltwater by the melting freshwater from the ice that caused it.
    Nevertheless, the real world isn't a hollywood movie.

There is no significant global warming apart from the earth's normal cycles. Sure, pollution and de-forestation are destroying the eco-system.
    Somewhere between the time all the trees are cut down and cities expand to cover the face of the earth, we will all probably die of oxygen deprivation.
    But human activity making a measurable impact on the earths overall temperature?...No. Fraid not.
    This planet will just scratch us off like a big dog scratching fleas. When the irritant is gone it will give a little shake, fluff it's fur and keep on going.
    There are ancient cities now buried under miles of ocean, ice and volcanic rocks...

The earth has cycled through natural periods of greater CO2 levels caused by volcanic activity than anything we could ever produce.
    It's just a catch phrase. There has never been any true scientific evidence or basis for it.
    The scientists who supported this “royal scam” were caught red-handed doctoring their own books. They just swept it under the rug and kept going.
    The term "global warming" was invented as a political tool to garner support for taxing emissions through environmental fear mongering.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

So we could eliminate most of the oxygen in our atmosphere (thus changing the chemistry of our lands and oceans tremendously) but it's impossible to change the temperature of the planet by a degree? There's a bit of a flaw in that chain of logic.

14. TheVisitor The Journey is the Reward Registered Senior Member

What I'm saying is the earth goes through normal cycles of fluctuation in temperature that are much greater by comparison than anything we could cause.

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

Of course. That doesn't mean that we're not causing this one.

There was a time that the earth did not have any oxygen in its atmosphere, as well. But if you did manage to somehow eliminate most of the oxygen in the atmosphere through destruction of all plant life on earth, it would be pretty silly to argue "but it happened before, so it must be natural."

16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Maybe they committed suicide after reading one of your threads

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Only kidding CSS, you know I love your threads.
    You are one of the last great eccentrics left on here.
    And I generally learn more reading your nonsense than other people's sense.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Please provide your evidence for this assertion before pursuing this line of argument any further. Since it contradicts the consensus of the world's scientists, this qualifes as an "extraordinary assertion" and is subject to the Rule of Laplace: when challenged, it must be supported by extraordinary evidence before anyone is obliged to treat it with respect. (Since this is not an academy we'll settle for some really good ordinary evidence, but not the usual antiscientific crackpottery about global warming, which, in the internet age, easily evades the key step of peer review and proceeds directly into gullible minds.)
    Either you have not given Climategate more than a cursory inspection and were satisfied with the lunatic ravings of Glenn Beck and the other self-serving reactionary retards, or you yourself are being disingenuous (which is a bannable offense on this website). Climategate had nothing to do with scientific fraud, it was just a convenient, complicated event for the Luddites to trumpet as evidence to deny science--since most of the people who listen to them don't understand one word of science and are looking for a good excuse to diss the experts.

It was a perfect illustration of my pet peeve about scientists: they are crappy communicators who in fact will avoid communicating with laymen at all if they can find a way around it. They were so embarrassed by finding themselves at the center of a controversy that was only peripherally involved with science that they withdrew and let adminstrative people with little understanding of the issues (and a top priority on covering their own behinds) speak for them.
    Governments are happy to exploit any bad news to increase their power: frightened people are more easily coaxed into giving up their rights and giving away their money. Just look at how much traction they got out of 9/11, even though 40 times more Americans are killed per decade by drunk drivers than by terrorists.

Nonetheless, just because governments are using global warming as an excuse to rip us off doesn't mean it's not true.
    Sure. Over the history of the earth, sea level regularly goes up and down by half a kilometer. However, to put this all in perspective, we are still at the tail end of an ice age right now--an ice age is defined by permanent ice at the polar caps and glaciers on the highest mountains. So sea level is very near its lowest extreme.

In the last six hundred million years, sea level has only ever been 50m (160ft) lower than it is today, but it has been 450m (1500ft) higher. So as we proceed into this new warming trend, we can expect most of the areas that contain the bulk of the world's population to be under water, and for the total area of dry land to be considerably less than it is now. The entire state of Florida, for example, will be sea bed, the Los Angeles region will be a few islands, and the Dutch will have to invent a new technology for building dikes the height of skyscrapers--not to mention the faith and courage to live within their protection.

Of course this will happen eventually irrespective of our contribution to the rate of change of the average global temperature. But "eventually" is the operative word. Accelerating that by a couple of centuries is certainly meaningless in the context of geology, but when you've got literally billions of people living in places that will not support life in a few generations, it means a lot to us. In sheer economic terms--and as bad as it is money is the only halfway decent unit of measurement we have for a lot of things--a sea level rise of just a few meters would result in the destruction of trillions of dollars worth of real estate, a devastating impact on the world economy.

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

As an aviculturist I can assure you that massive dieoffs of various avian species are routine events on this planet. Most of them go undetected by laymen; they occur over water or in areas where scavengers will clean up the evidence quickly.

Birds, even tropical birds, have an amazing ability to withstand cold temperatures--a lorikeet breeder in our area woke up one morning to unseasonably freezing temperatures and feared that all of his birds were dead; instead they were pecking through the layer of ice on their water dishes and splashing around happily in the icy water. Nonetheless, in most ways birds are quite delicate. If they fly into a rapidly moving cold front they can die of shock; pollutants that we would sneeze out clog their respiratory tracts; there are dozens of ways for this to happen. The only thing remarkable about it is that it was so well publicized.

19. MarkitScience www.MarkitScience.com Registered Senior Member

so i guess these birds ended up being poisoned by drinking wine gone bad from a nearby factory of some sort

20. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

I'll take the compliment Captain. It's the second best I've had all week!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.