$500 for snitching drinking parties

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Syzygys, May 23, 2008.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

This morning in the news: I didn't catch where exactly, but they pay $500 for anonymus callers who tell about teenager drinking parties.

I can see kids being killed or beaten up if one was suspected as the snitch. Not to mention kids would report just out of spite because not being invited.
    (alos one could make a decent living too)

So, good idea or bad?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If it actually leads to the arrest of a adult allowing the teens to drink then I think it is a good idea. If it leads to the police arresting the teens then that's a bad idea. If it leads to the police just breaking up the party and disposing of the liquer then that's another good idea. Giving money to a "snitch" isn't a good idea however because those snitches could set up the party to begin with then call in the police just to make money.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

well, the money is the incentive. But yes, it could lead to a set up or entrapment.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Why shouldn't the kids be punished/arrested for something they KNOW is illegal, Cosmic? Not all kids get alcohol from adults. They steal it, use fake IDs and other things.
    I agree with syzy, though, that it creates a potentially dangerous situation for the snitch. But hey, that's the territory that comes with being a snitch.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd think that any teen aged person at a party will be tempted to drink along with the others just because they want to be part of the crowd. By arresting a teen who was drinking at a party for the first time would put a real bad mark against them for the rest of their lives. I don't think it would be prudent to arrest teens if it was their first time found at a party drinking however if they were caught again I would then arrest them for certain because they were warned once and that should do the trick to stop those who want to listen. We all do stupid things when we were young but by having an arrest record doesn't help teens , it only hurts them if they made the mistake only once.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

So they're too young to drink, but not too young to be arrested?

Not logical.

10. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I don't think kids should be arrested for drinking. Perhaps fined or something like a speeding ticket, but I don't think it warrants arrest. When I was a freshman in college my roommates got busted for having alcohol and the police wrote them a citation and made them dump the remaining alcohol in the sink. It didn't stop them from drinking, but they never threw a loud party again. I don't think you need to have a criminal record for consuming a drug that isn't even illegal. Its only bad until you reach legal drinking age. So it deserves a slap for not waiting until then.

11. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

I'd shop 'em in, then use the money to buy a couple of bottles of White Lightening and 20 B&H and crush the ciggies and pour the cider on the floor as I cajoled them saying, "Ha, look at what I can do to your cultural ineptitude you low life hoodie scum bag".

I realise this post was fraught with Englandisms for which I make no excuses. It was worth it just to vent.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

How?? Peer pressure is entrapment?

13. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

There's nothing wrong with teenage drinking. Conversely, drinking [frequently] in excess isn't the best practice for persons of any age.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Despite my libertarian conviction that consenting adults must have the right to do anything they damn well please so long as they cause no direct harm to others, I recognize "adulthood" as a condition that children don't have by definition. I don't think they should take drugs of any sort until their bodies, minds, emotions and hormones have attained maturity. Which for most people is in the very late teens and for many is a couple of decades later, but that's a topic for another thread.

That said, as a libertarian I am also thoroughly opposed to a government that can only enforce its laws by coaxing citizens into informing on one another. That's fascism. Bitch'n'snitch programs make everyone distrust everyone else, and trust is the cornerstone of civilization. If large numbers of people don't want to obey your laws, then your laws are shit.

The reason these kids are drinking is that their parents just don't give a flying fuck. You can't throw all of their parents in jail because there isn't enough foster care to take them in. I think this is a problem we're going to have to live with because the alternatives are worse.

Although we could mitigate it by ending the War On Drugs. I know from reading the statistics that teenage drinking has increased tremendously since marijuana has become more expensive and since drug testing has become prevalent--which persecutes users of marijuana more than any other drug since the metabolites stay in your system for weeks. I also know from personal observation that hordes of adults also started drinking more alcohol and smoking less weed, for the very same reasons. Finally, I know from (very long ago) personal experience that marijuana is far less dangerous for adults than alcohol, and I can only suppose that it's the same for teenagers.

All it takes is one good reason and there is one. Drunken driving is a major cause of death among teenagers, and stoned drivers are immeasurably safer drivers than drunk drivers.

15. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

Why is it that americans are so fucking paranoid about booze?

I got constantly asked for ID in the states last year - and I had a grey freaking beard FFS! I look younger than my age for sure, but a grey beard is a bit of a giveaway that I'm over 21 - like WAY over twentyfuckingone.

Teenage are going to drink - get over it - maybe let them do it safely or something

sheesh!

16. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

I'm going to borrow that line - its awsome

17. Nasor Valued Senior Member

If it's anonymous, how you they get the $500 to you?

In any case, while I don't approve of under-age drinking it's hard for me to believe that this sort of thing is really a good use of the police's time. Surely there are better things for them to investigate/stop than underage drinking. If you really reach a point where underage drinking is the worst crime going on in your city, you should probably just downsize the police force and save the taxpayers some money.

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I think they just mean that they promise not to ever tell anyone where they got the tip. Not under any circumstances. Not even if a judge demands it. Hehehe.

Can't you see it: A teen drinking party is rousted and everyone there gets busted. Monday morning, the only kid who wasn't invited shows up at school with new sneakers and a new iPod. "Hey vato, where'd you get all that cool stuff?" "Uh, my grandma took me shopping."

Police have to have "probable cause" to enter a private residence or any evidence they gather in that residence is inadmissible in court.
    • Defense attorney: Officer Dickhead, why did you ring the doorbell at 513 Timid Deer Lane on the night of the 14th?
    • Officer Dickhead: Because someone told us that teenagers were drinking inside.
    • Defense attorney: And who was that, sir?
    • Officer Dickhead: I can't tell you.
    • Defense attorney: Why not?
    • Officer Dickhead: Because I promised him or her I would not give out his or her name.
    • Defense attorney: Then how can we be sure that you weren't driving around and ringing doorbells at random like the Gestapo, just looking for an excuse to arrest people?
    • Officer Dickhead: You'll just have to trust me.
    Teenagers shouldn't drink but that should be a social problem, not a legal one. If someone buys liquor for a teenager outside his own family, well then that falls under the venerable old statute against "contributing to the delinquency of a minor" and we don't need any new campaign to prosecute it. But if parents aren't raising their children right, it's not the government's responsibility to change their attitude, if only for the practical reason that the government invariably does a shitty job of changing people's attitudes and it's a waste of tax money to try it. And if children are drinking it should not be the cops' job to stop them, unless they're doing something that even a grownup would get busted for like driving or brawling.
    • "That government governs best which governs least." -- Thomas Jefferson

19. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Hell, even people who were invited and did go to the party would probably be tempted to inform on it. Just hang around for a few hours, have fun, and call the police right after you leave.

Well, there's also the (insane) fact that in the U.S. you can't drink until you're 21, so a person over 21 could buy alcohol for a 19-year-old who isn't allowed to drink but isn't yet a minor.

In any case, even if it is for a minor I think you should have to demonstrate that there was some actual "delinquency" going on first. If an adult buys beer for some 16-year-olds who proceed to sit around drinking it on a saturday night while they play Halo III, who cares?

20. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

How about this?: If they break up a drinking party, they might have prevented a DUI teenager's death? Isn't prevention better than looking for reasons why things happend or who comitted the crime (hit and run)?

21. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Except when the drunk teenager kills 4 of his friends while DUI...

22. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Our boys go halfway around the world to defend someone else's rights. Here at home an American citizen's rights are subordinate to just about anything.

23. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

a child has young as 8yrs old can drink in they're own home (with perants consent) in the UK, it stops then these kids reaching 18yrs and binging every weekend on somthing they were denied when they were younger, of course i am not talking about letting them drink every night or weekend, but on special occasions, like christmas, birthdays, etc etc