5.1$ with 51grams of coins??

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by a_ht, Aug 13, 2005.

1. a_ht Registered Senior Member

Hi folks,

I have to figure out a way to get 5.1$ using 51grammes of coins. Now, I have done the research and found out the wiegth of each coins i am allowed to use (0.01$, 0.05$, 0.10$, 0.25$, 1.00$, 2.00$). This problem can be reduced to this system of linear equations but im stock there. How can I solve it and get 1 set of values for which the system satisfies?

x*0.01$ + y*0.05$ + z*0.10$ + u*0.25$ + v*1.00$ + w*2.00$ = 5.1$
    x*2.35g + y*3.92g + z*1.65g + u*4.40g + v*7.00g + w*7.30g = 51g

Simply using gaussian reduction won't work because the variables x, y, z, u, v and w have to be integers. Precision doesnt have to be absolute for the weight, i.e. ]50.5; 51.5[.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Methods used for solving simultaneous linear equations are not applicable to systems with less equations than unkowns. You might find some pertient methods using diophantine (not sure of spelling) as a search term.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shmoe Registred User Registered Senior Member

Dinosaur, you can use Gaussian elimination on a system with more unknowns than equations, you'll either get no solutions or infinitely many (the corresponding homogeneous system always has infinitely many solutions in such a case).

The tricky bit here is there are no integer solutions that give exactly 51g and $5.10, but it can be done inside the tolerance (50.5,51.5). You could have a computer do a brute force search. You can greatly limit the number of variables to search by a few simple observations, like the weight restriction means x<=51.5/2.35 and similar for other variables. The dollar restriction means w is less than 2, and similar for the other variables. Use whichever upper bound on a variable is lower, from weight or dollar. Also, x is a multiple of 5 or else you can't sum to $5.10.

I can't think of a good way to do this by hand. The above restrictions will still leave quite a few to check, but you can reduce it with some more complicated reasoning. e.g. weight and dollar restrictions can show w=v=0 is impossible as then the lightest way (dimes have the highest $/g ratio outside ones and twos) to get $5.10 is with 51 dimes, well over your weight allowance. Likewise, v=1, w=0 is impossible, etc. This will help, but it might still take some time by hand.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

This is what's known as "Integer Programming" in computer science. It's not exactly my field, but it's a branch of what's generally called "Optimization". There are well known methods for solving IP problems, such as constraint solving via half-planes (this is infact what schmoe is doing).

Look it up. It's definitely what you're looking for.

8. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

I suppose it's cheating to use Excel's Solver tool? (it uses the Optimization methods mentioned by funkstar). There are other optimization software tools around as well.

Excel's optimum answer is 1 dime, 1 dollar, 1 two-dollar, and 8 quarters, for 51.15 grams.