4ghz gaming PC

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by sargentlard, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

*drool*

Most of it is just plain excess but goddamn I want one bad.

Sweet mercy.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Can someone lend me some money?

That´s some machine...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

>< i feeel outdated... thnx sargentlard =\

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Nothing beats my 996 MHz of RAM..

8. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

... southstart... it's that time of the decade... time to upgrade your computer =P

9. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

The president can finally play doom3 online against his other friends, with those new Osama and Kerry mods, without any slowdown.....

Its the price of a used car. What a waste.

10. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

2k for a comp is good... it's not a waste becasue it allows you to make money and do things that you could not do wiht out one ^^^

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Only 4ghz? pfft!

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/publicfeature/aug04/0804cos.html
    http://radio.weblogs.com/0105910/2004/09/04.html

12. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

13. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

We'll see what becomes of this computer in a few months when the new P4's come in with external bus speeds of 1066 MHz.

14. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

Are the pentium 4's bus speeds actually that high, or is it just some marketing spin? 1066mhz bus is really 266mhz bus "quad pumped." AMD seems to be getting great performance out of their chips when they stick to the actual bus speeds and even lower clock speeds...makes me wonder if Intel's quad pumped fsb is actually a performance enhancer. CPU's are getting to point where clocked speeds and bigger numbers are not as important as the architecture of the chip and how it handles computing. For instance, the new Pentium 4 core coming out needs more L2 cache and higher clock speeds to be as effective as the "northwood" core. A 3ghz northwood p4 would outperform the new 3ghz pentium 4, but the northwood core has reached its limits in terms of clock speed. Seems like Intel is trying to push clock speeds instead of creating a chip that is efficient; Intel has always been like this, as higher clock speeds are a marketing advantage they can use over AMD.

I remember when the pentium 4's came out they were advertising HyperThreading capability, yet they never "unlocked" the feature on the chips until recently. Dirty marketing tricks, and it goes for AMD too.

15. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

If I had to choose between a car and that computer, I think I'd be walking a lot more often!

16. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Grazzhoppa,
    Perhaps they see the marketing spin where it's not how tuned your engine is, but what horsepower it is etc. (Okay so I borrowed from the car circuit just to prove what sells is "Irresistable figures" for cheap prices.)

Just wait till they start manipulating software builds with "Hardware updates" then the complaints will pile. (Since it would be the death of the internets freedom).

17. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Hmm... I would take the car if I think about it. I think it is more fun to drive than to play.

18. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Unless you play Gran turismo with a steering wheel and a big screen

19. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Hmm, but I cannot move around while playing GT4...

20. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

ehh...I bet it can't play Doom III at max resolution without slowdown though.

21. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

If I just had the money....

Would a 4 Ghz CPU with a 1MB cach be faster than a 3.8 Ghz CPU with a 2MB cache?

22. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

It could be faster or it could be slower, I guess it would depend on whether the chips were using the same core architecture. Truthfully, I don't know much about how computers work.

Technical information about AMD's 64bit chips, but under the "Processor Core" title, is some info about how cache works on a cpu. You can probably find info about the Pentium 4's core(s) somewhere on google.

here's a blurb.

23. river-wind Valued Senior Member

it depends on the type of code being executed. The cache is only handy if the same instructions or the same data is being run through the ALU more than once, in close succession. If the program running is purely linear, always grabbing data from main memory, then the cache is worth f***-all.

In real-world applications, the cache would be pretty usefull on a system where the CPU is starved for data by a slow memory bus, and might more than make up for the 200 mhz difference in CPU speed. in cases where the memory bus is slow enough that it can't keep up with the CPU's ability to crunch numbers, than those extra cycles are wasted. the extra cache on the slower CPU can be used effectivly for grabbing information while the ALU is busy, which will help keep everythign feed properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.