40gb Harddrive,256ram

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by hakunamatata, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hakunamatata Registered Member

Hi Guys

Whats the importance of a 40gb hardrive and a 256 RAM to three users who use one computer?, and why do they need that kind of harddrive and RAM?.Please give me concrete answers.

The three users are

1. a college student
    2. a graphic designer and
    3.a banker

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

The graphic designer alone needs heaps of RAM for his graphics software, and heaps of hard drive space to store the images he/she creates. The other people probably just want a nice speedy computer so they don't have to wait around while it does things.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

looks like someone couldn't be arsed to do their homework

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Lol, homework

Just make sure any answers you don't 100% plagurise or you'll be in trouble. (It's been known to happen that whole universities have had to check a whole years grading because of internet cheating.)

If you were to look at each part, Adam is right that the Graphics designer needs the RAM, and also the hard-drive space if they are designing high end graphics.

The banker might keep some form of accounts, which means they might have a portion of the drive encrypted and passworded from the others making it unavailable space. THe banker might also need to run multiple applications (Multi-tasking) which again takes alot of RAM.

As for a Student, well We are talking Games, Music, Internet and of course the work a student is suppose to be doing. So they need RAM and lots of Space for a messy file hierarchy (To mimic their portion of the Flat).

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I agree with the answers but the question seems a little shy on the figures. Why? Win XP requires 128 ram to run and it would be better to have more. Multitasking requires a fair amount of RAM. It is not as intensive in it's requirements as some graphics programs. While 40 gig's of HD seems a lot, it is no longer up to the top notch. My computer came with a 58.5 gig HD for example. Plently of room for music files, pictures, or games. There is mention within this forum of a 60 gig now out. Each user on the hd will need a set amount of space. It is possible that one of the users might even require a different OS to run a program. I can not help but think that around 13 gig's is not a lot of hd for each of the three users. Nor that preformance could not but be increased by increasing the RAM. Many applications will run with less but additional RAM will boost preformance.

If I had my druthers it would be a seperate hd for each user. This should also be a way to increase security should each user have a seperate passworded hd.

Just my thoughts on the subject...

9. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I'm running Win XP Pro on:
    - AMD K6 200 mHz
    - 96 megs of RAM
    - 6.4 gig hard drive.

10. Sky Scraper Registered Member

Well compared to:
    - Celereon 850 MHz
    - 352 MB of RAM
    - 100 gig HDD

It's amazing!!

11. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

What the hell is a druther? or is it a spelling mistake?

You do not need seperate hard drives, as it wouldn't increase security by any measurable amount. It would just jack up the costs. You would be better off partitioning the drive, and installing a bit of software.

12. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Druthers is an old-timey way of saying if I had my wishes.

13. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

ah thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.