400 metre Asteroid will hit earth says Russian Deputy Premier.

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by kwhilborn, Oct 20, 2013.

1. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Russian Deputy Premier Dmitry Rogozin caused a stir this week when he wrote on his Twitter account, "A 400-metre asteroid is threatening to blow up the Earth."
    In an August interview with Yahoo News, Yeomans explained that NASA typically spots a potentially dangerous asteroid up to 100 years before it would potentially hit the Earth.
    TV135 is estimated to be about 400 meters in diameter.

NASA has responded by denying this and saying the asteroid is labelled as 1/10 in its danger. NASA says it will not hit us.

Would they really tell us?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seattle Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

A 400 meter astroid could 'blowup the earth"? Uh, I don't think so - it would suck to get hit by it though.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

No, of course not. Things would actually be much quieter, politically, if there were a threat.

9. kwhilborn Banned Banned

@ Captain Kremmen,

The foil wrap solution was missing more obvious choices for creating a reflective surface. Paintballs would be more practical. In fact; paintballs was suggested prior to this as I recall reading about them.

10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Only found on 8 October, so need more days of observations, but looks like at least a million Km miss now about 19 years from now.

If it does hit, the drawing (assuming it gives current locations) indicates sort of head on collision with about equal speed objects is likely.
    What I'd like to know is how did TV135 get into what appears to be "retrograde orbit"? Was it Blasted out of Earth by the "dinosaur impact meteor? or What?