4 Vectors

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by alephnull, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

The Minkowski form is perfectly capable of providing you with a topology (via light-cones).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

Will it be the same as the topology of the underlying R^4?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

Why would it need to be?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

If it is different what kind of thing would it be? Just curious.

8. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

Oh, certainly. But my point was that there's nothing stopping you using a topology generated by the Minkowski form. For instance, this is the topology used by Penrose to prove that every compact space-time contains closed time-like curves.

My objection was that your comment seemed to suggest the Minkowski form doesn't provide you with a topology.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

Ok, I take it back. One obvious thing would be to say Lorentz forms do not generate a metric in the metric space sense (or maybe better is that Lorentz balls do not form a topological basis)?

10. Green Destiny Banned Banned

How degrading this has turned into.

11. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

Absolutely. I wasn't trying to be pernickety - just thought I'd chip in with an interesting fact.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Green Destiny Banned Banned

What I mean is that this can quickly become a fest, like so many threads in sciforums, about members trying to prove their worth. I don't understand the almost militant attitude towards how people view being correct.

13. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

It is not that I want to prove my worth, but I want to be correct(ed).

14. alephnull you can count on me Registered Senior Member

I thought this was quite an odd thing for you to say, considering your incredibly patronising first reply in this thread.

15. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

Are you and I reading the same exchange? Some adults don't mind being involved in exchanges that include the odd correction. No one is infallible.

16. Green Destiny Banned Banned

It's not really that though. Many times, there are no corrections required, though, it doesn't stop other people thinking that they can.

17. Green Destiny Banned Banned

There was no offense intended. Though, it shouldn't have been that surprising however I made that comment, if indeed you took that mathematics course, for you would have known how important it was.

18. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

People can correct things as and when they see fit. The discussions in this sub-forum are largely technical in nature and it's inevitable that there will be corrections here and there.

I still don't see how anything in this thread could be construed as an attempt to degrade anyone or anything. A discussion has evolved and along the way some corrections have been brought up. You might need to develop a thicker skin!

So, does anyone feel degraded? Show of hands please...

19. Green Destiny Banned Banned

I have a confession. I do believe that original post was directed at something else, but I do not remember specifically where. I do wonder if last night I posted it in the wrong thread.

But regardless, I still meant what I said. It's ugly when you have more than two people squabbling over corrections.

20. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

I agree. It's also ugly when two overweight women squabble over the final cup-cake. But that didn't happen in this thread either!