4 dimensional objects

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by MacGyver1968, Dec 9, 2010.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. There are two ways you can think about the animation above. One way is that you have a fixed light source in the 4-d space and the 4-d hypercube is rotating. You're looking at a 3-d "screen" onto which the shadow of the rotating hypercube is projected.

The other way you can think of it is that you have a stationary 4-d cube that isn't moving at all. Then you walk "around" it in the 4-d space so that you can see it from different sides.

---

Yes.

Yes. And n can be as large as you like.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Presumably. What would a 5D construct look like, connection-wise?

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEiNsrtuGcc

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Oookay: so this is really a flat space - a shadow as you say. I was interpreting it as a 3D object that wasn't rotating, but rather 'squeezing' itself through the centre.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Be careful about rotations in a 2d projection. The 3d cube is rotating around a one-dimensional axis;

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

the 4d cube is rotating around a two-dimensional "axis".

Yes, it's bloody hard to think in more than three of those dimension whatsits.

8. Emil Valued Senior Member

James R,
    you do not understand me,the cube has six sides.
    Hypercube has cubes as sides.(I do not know how many.)
    A point has no dmensiune.
    An infinity number of points form a line and has one dimension.
    An infinite number of lines form an surface and has two dimensions.
    An infinite number of areas form a space and has three dimensions.
    An infinite number of space form a hyperspace and has four dimension.
    Similarly for a segment, square, cube, hypercube.

9. Emil Valued Senior Member

Yes, hypercube has eight sides each a cube.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

That's a correct interpretation of what you see. But you're seeing the 3-d shadow of the full 4-d object. As Pete said, the small cube that you see passing though the larger cube appears smaller because it is "further away" in some 4-d sense. The analogous thing is if you look at a 3-d cube the square face furthest away from you looks smaller than the face closest to you because it is futher away in the 3rd dimension. In fact, all squares on a 3-d cube are the same size, and all 3-d cubical faces of a tesseract are the same size.

I already told you: eight.

Yes.

I think you'll agree that a square has four sides, and not an infinite number of sides. Right? And a cube has six faces, not an infinite number. So, a tesseract has 8 "faces".

11. Emil Valued Senior Member

So we can conclude that the hypercube is a four dimensional object that has eight sides,each cube,and which is formed from an infinite number of cubes?

12. John99 Banned Banned

Its still in three dimensions though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_dimension

There really is no fourth dimension in terms of visualization. Three covers everything...or we can just call it a sphere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphere

13. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure I understand. A sphere isn't a regular polytope. What exactly does "visualization" mean, and how is a 4-polytope "still in three dimensions"?

What about a n-polytope?

14. John99 Banned Banned

Visualization is what we see. includes DOF. three dimension on three axis including\encompassing radiuses.

15. John99 Banned Banned

I say DOF because what we see in the image in op is a representation of artificial DOF aka deliberate DOF. suffice it to say merely an optical illusion to represent actual DOF as seen through the human eye. If you can tell us what the 4th dimension is then by all means do so.

I searched for some more of an explanation and came up with some pretty good links. Merely what i see, instantaneously, of exactly what is transpiring in the image in post #1: Is an extrapolation of the perception of distance and forming, albeit erroneously, a relationship to time but in reality all it is is the object moving within the confines of the three dimensional world in which we inhabit. I am assuming fourht dimension is time, for some reason, which i dont agree with, lest someone can articulate why it is. IF it is time you just need to explain why. To associate time with distance is it not still residing in three dimensions. Of course i think it is\does.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...6000610f91e469209bc782fed35ef8d2&searchtype=a

http://www.nvnews.net/articles/3dimagery/humaneye1.shtml

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

No. A hypercube is formed from 8 cubes.

What's DOF?

:crazy: No need to read further.

17. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

External squares are definitely faces of one cell.

It's somewhat like this perspective view of a cube:

Note that the cube has six faces. The external edges are the edges of one face.

Note also that just as every edge on a cube is shared by two faces, every face on a tesseract is shared by two cells.

18. John99 Banned Banned

depth of field.

19. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

OK, then this is what I thought it was doing.

Ahhhhh. I begin to see.

20. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Not sure about the four dimensions, but is is somehow very satisfying to watch.
    Are there any more you can show?

21. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

About those animations: the first one is the transformation in two dimensions of a 3d object, the second is transforming in the same two dimensions of projective space.

The cube only has one dimension left to transform "in", rotations are more interesting than just scaling so that's what the animation does.

But the hypercube has two left, and so on.

22. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

23. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Ok, I said this (adding video to the squares) was an example of a tesselation. If you start in 3d instead, you can use a bit of graph theory to see that each face of a cube is the area between adjacent edges of a trivalent graph, and if you disconnect each face so it becomes an 'edge-disjoint' figure, you get a different kind of graph.

Start with a stereographic projection of 5 of the 6 faces of a cube, as posted by Pete:

If you make each face edge-disjoint you get five 2d quadrilaterals projected on to two dimensions, so the 6th face, which is nominally the outer square when the faces are connected, is no longer 'seen'. This is what happens when you make each of the faces into frames of a movie--you can only see 5 at a time.

Likewise when you reduce the faces of a hypercube into eight disjoint 3d volumes, each a rhomboid or a cube, you can only arrange 7 at a time in three dimensions. The edges of a hypercube are the faces of each of these volumes or cells.

So now instead of considering frames of a movie pasted to each 'square', consider each square face as a single pixel of a larger image which is 4-dimensional, and there you go. Slice up each hypersurface (edges of a hypercube are 2-dimensional, remember) into smaller 'hypersquares' or each 'hyperface' into 'hypercubelets' as pixels. I can't say that this will somehow overcome the stubbornly persistent tendency for humans to think a 2d image is a projection of a measly 3--what can I say, that's biology.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010