3D TV without glasses

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by cosmictraveler, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Toshiba has launched what it claims are the first 3D television sets that do not require special glasses.

The two sets are able to create 3D effects in real time from standard film and television pictures.

The televisions use a special lenticular sheet to create an array of nine overlapping images.

A viewer sees different images with each eye, creating the illusion of a 3D picture.

The system is similar to that used in the Nintendo 3DS handheld console.

Continue reading the main story
    Related stories
    Quality warnings issued over 3DTV
    Video gaming goes 3D at E3 expo
    Both Toshiba televisions use the Cell processor - originally designed for the PlayStation 3 - to process the pictures.

Masaaki Oosumi, president of Toshiba Visual Products said it was "obviously more natural to watch TV without glasses".

However, the technology requires a person to be sat in an optimal position to see clear 3D images.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...jfXZDA&usg=AFQjCNHc3SIpUu0h5cZRobNv4qyETwbEVg

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I was waiting for that. I suppose for you youngsters who watch your TV shows on a computer screen, that will be okay because you can position it any way you want. I guess it won't work for those of us who watch on a full screen with our spouses or other family and friends. I presume only one person can be in the "optimal position."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Active diffraction using stereoscopic cameras to watch your head and eye placement could keep different images going to each eye no matter how you move, but it would only work on one persons at a time, so any other viewers would need to adjust themselves in accordance you movements, but on the plus side with the stereoscopic cameras you could get 3D Videochat

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.