3D Holographic pop star

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by birch, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birch Valued Senior Member

http://theweek.com/article/index/209301/japans-holographic-pop-star

i think they are overreacting but this has so many possibilities.

people can literally have live conferences using holograms or not even need to travel in some cases. this can be used so efficiently for so many reasons.

even concerts of live people can use holograms of them simultaneously in different locations.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

What's the difference in a holoconference and a phone call? The reason we need to attend conferences is because we need "real" interaction with other people. That's the only way real connections are forged - and even then it's difficult to get things going and done.

Oh, and I thought the anime was cute, but more for kids not adults (other than Otaku) .... kind of reminded me of Gorilla

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. birch Valued Senior Member

it would depend. if you just need to attend a conference or business meeting, you could do it live using a hologram of yourself as well as seeing the hologram of the room as well as everyone else.

if you have business there that you physically need to accomplish, then that's different.

there are just so many ways this could be used.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. birch Valued Senior Member

that was a 2D projection technique actually. this is true 3D and the first true 3d holographic concert.

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Yeah, the 3D is definitely cool.

I suppose you could just visit a conference in 3D, but, as I know people, it's not so easy to make connections with people (even professionals) you have never met. Even at conferences I find the best time to connect is at the drinks or social events - not the actual presentations. Even then it can be a bit difficult. But, perhaps WAY in the future (like 5 or 10 years

when we have virtual worlds then maybe

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

Hah, 'Idoru' is coming true,....

10. X-Man2 We're under no illusions. Registered Senior Member

Just curious is the singing holographic chick in the OP's link where the technology is now as far as the visuals? If so then I assume much more work will need to happen in order to have a more realistic holographic.I ask cause as I was seeing it the holographic was animated and glowing.Not trying to knock the technology rather I was more curious where it is at the moment.Really COOL stuff!

11. John99 Banned Banned

Exactly, 3D on a 2D surface. This is true 3D

12. sony Registered Senior Member

I'm pretty sure this is a 2d projection of 3d, and not a 3d holograph. True 3d hologram has not been invented yet, or is not efficient enough for this kind of display..

13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

To be perfectly honest, Clubs and Concerts can occasionally have Dryice plume across stages, it wouldn't be too much to generate a multi-directional lighting arrangement create a "3D hologram" using the actual vapour particles.

The only reason why you might place a screen behind it is if you were not able to generate enough smoke or the front row was starting to suffer respiratory problems.

It's unlikely a true hologram because they still require something to act as a screen like particles or vapour. There is a potential for EM or Thermodynamics however that's not exactly crowd safe.

14. kurros Registered Senior Member

Yeah it isn't a true parallax hologram (dynamic parallax holograms are in development, but prototypes are weird coloured and kind of crappy looking at the moment from what I've seen) but it is projected onto some kind of gnarly (semi-?) transparent screen and gets some pretty awesome brightness off it. It isn't easy to get an image that bright and solid looking to reflect off an otherwise fairly transparent screen. No one has done anything quite this impressive before that I have seen. The transparant background makes for a fairly convincing illusion, and people are probably far enough away that they wouldn't see much parallax anyway, although the image might look a bit less convincing if you move too far off centre.

15. John99 Banned Banned

I'll have to look into that some more afa parallax but have to say i dont think it is a requirement. I dont know much about the video in the op but it is very interesting. Of course the truest way, which i am aware of, to demonstrate true 3D is to walk up to the object and be able to put your hand\arm (as an eample) through it whilst particulate matter encompasses your hand\arm. Taking into account hologramatic and non solid 3D.

16. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

hope this isnt the first time u have heard of that.. this is just an image on a piece of glass really all of her songs are computer generated by a computer program. quite pathetic that in that countries #1 pop star is computer generated

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.