31 lbs in 30 days

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Promo, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Promo Registered Senior Member

So I've decided to be healthier before I turn 30 years old. I am 6'6" with a large body frame, wide shoulders bigger bone structure. I weighed in at 307lbs with the average calorie intake at around 4k calories per day (I know that is terrible). So I started dieting on July 8th eating the same food every single day at 1700 calories and I got my Rottweiler pup who I walk a total of 3 hours a day. I weighed myself on August 8th and came in at 276 lbs, I was very impressed but all the people I've talked to said this was very unhealthy? I don't really think it is because I've measured my RMR and cut way down on my daily caloric intake with the daily walking I think I'm doing everything right. I know when you have more fat you tend to lose faster in the beginning so I think this next month the weight loss will not be as dramatic. I'm also going to step up the cardio and get into some lighter weights high reps.

My goal is to be 240 by October 8th, which will be 67lbs in 3 months. After that I will switch up the weights and caloric intake and try to bulk back up to around 255.

My question is has anyone else lost this kind of weight in the timeframe and is it healthy?
    I currently take some supplements everyday and intake a good amount of protein, lean fat, and vitamins.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

At your age you still possess a lot of flexibility in how you shape your body. Generally speaking, the fast initial loss in any weight reduction program is water weight. After that it is the net percentage change in your fat to lean tissue balance. That means that a healthy diet, lots of muscle building exercise and plenty of rest should give you your own optimal build regardless of your actual weight. Bear in mind that muscle weighs more than fat so you may well plateau weight - wise while still progressing in getting more fit. Don't get discouraged by that if it occurs.

At 61, I won't likely lose that kind of weight unless I get very ill, but I follow a healthy diet and exercise for several hours every day. That is good enough for me now. Good luck with your effort, I wish you success in reaching your personal goals.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

I've understood that , depending on your age and medical condition, you can lose allot of weight in a very short period of time but of course seeing a doctor while doing so would be a very smart thing to do. Good luck on your endeavorer and try to keep the weight you lose off because it is harder taking it off than it is putting it back on again as you age.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

Hi Promo--

I'll get pictures soon. I have some crazy "before and after" shots.

In 2010-2011 I put on nearly 50lbs working at my old job. I was an HR manager at Kohl's and I hated the job and it was very stressful. I went from a buff 185 in 2006 when I started to 210 around the end of 2009. I'm exactly 6" tall. By the end of 2011 I weighed 263-ish (I can't remember the exact number, but it was over 260). I had a 45" waist and I swear I lost a good inch and a half off my dick which I always considered one of my better features (I say that jokingly, but really, it's attached to a ligament that is connected to the pelvis--it doesn't get longer when you put on weight; every 20lbs on your body is something like a half inch off your dick; more weight and you're just eating up length).

Anyhoo, I was really embarrassed this past January and I finally just broke down and hired a personal trainer. Mothef*cker that was some hard stuff to fix. But he was a very smart guy and we changed one minor thing each week. We started with just two 1-hour workouts each week and we didn't change my diet at first. After two weeks we started "tweaking" one minor thing about my diet each week and we added 30 minutes of exercise each week. First we added two 15-minute runs (actually mostly walks) on the treadmill. The next week we added two more 15-minute runs. Then after that we added just five minutes to each run each week (total of 20 minutes added to the run each week).

So, now my week looks like this: Boxing: 1 hour a week (arthritis prevents any more time, but it's fun stuff); weight training w/ trainer: 2 hours a week; Biking 5 hours a week (I love to bike); run 7 miles a day Mon-Fri. Total time spent exercising is WAY more than you "need" but variety is a big deal. 15 hours a week of exercise. I'm going to cut it down to about 12 hours a week in the fall and do P90x with my best friend for a "changeup" to something different.

Foodwise, we slowly reduced my junk intake (he was smart and knew about my junk-food addiction). We just weaned me off. In April I discovered the "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead" video and slowly incorporated Reboot Smoothies into my diet (home prepared blended fruits and vegetables: a typical "smoothie" is 1 cup of chopped carrots, 1/2 avocado, 2 cups of chopped kale, 1 banana, 1/2 cup blueberries and a boiled beet, add fresh brewed green tea -- results in about 3 16OZ cups -- pretty nasty stuff, but it's become an addiction and it's really filling). I'm a "Monday-Friday" vegetarian. A typical day's meals would be three reboot smoothies (i.e. 3 x 48OZ of vegetable blends), a hard boiled egg, 1 lemon Chobani (love), a green banana (I hate ripe bananas), some raw almonds (okay, about a third of a cup of the things, I'm sort of an addict), Morning Star spicy black-bean patties (addicting). Total calorie consumption: approx 2200.

Where am I now? I weigh 190-lbs-ish and I have a 35" waist. I'm still taking a bit of weight off each week, but I'd rather be putting it on. I have what I amusingly call "Mr. Potatohead Arms": they just aren't big enough for me. Though, my boyfriend says I'm crazy.

Anyway the point of all this is this: I'm 37 years old and it took me 5 months to drop down under 200lbs. The problem is: the more "in shape" you get, the harder you have to work to take off the weight. The less "in shape" you are, the easier it is to drop the weight, but the less endurance you have. No matter where you are, it will take work and lots of time. LOTS OF TIME. I've invested so much time that I can no longer afford to give it as much as I do while finishing college and actually earning a living. Somewhere in there I have to sleep, get laid and see friends. So, it's the crazy training schedule that will have to give some.

In your case, I say keep up the hard work, but if you really think you're going to lose 1lb a day and do it without starving yourself, you're crazy. That is both unsustainable and very unhealthy. Plus, the most powerful instinct in your brain's repertoire of instincts is: HUNGER. Hunger always wins. Starving people have been known to kill their own children and eat each other. Starving people do terrible things. Hunger always wins. So if you don't feed yourself, you're brain will just rewire your emotions and you'll do things you never thought you'd do. Eat. Just eat really healthy and even "over eat" if you have to, just stuff your face with healthy things and don't worry too much about the calories. If your belly is always full of good stuff, you won't be so tempted by the bad stuff.

Good luck.

8. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Interesting details posted here by all.

Just a question, String. Did you miss that Promo has reduced caloric intake from about 4K to 1700 per day?

From the OP,
    Cutting your intake below half and increasing your output will definitely take of the initial weight very quickly. The trick lies in finding and maintaining the balance.

I have worn the same size clothing my whole adult life and when it starts to get snug, it's time to put on the muzzle for a while, lol...

9. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

@Promo

I know the diet and yes it works. Its not unhealthy if you only use it for a month. It is by design for people who basically already have a healthy lifestyle. Why? Because if you don't have a highly regulated diet you will gain the weight plus more. Its a diet used for people who want to lose weight quickly for a wedding or some other such reason, its not a weight management system for everyday use. Also you shouldn't work out so much on this diet, actually you shouldn't work out maybe 2x per week and then when you go back to a healthy normal diet you can up your exercise thereby mitigating any natural weight gain that may occur.

10. Promo Registered Senior Member

This is my daily intake in the order that I eat.

NO Explode (supplement)
    Syntha-6 Protein shake 1 scoop
    1/2 cups uncooked oats
    1/2 cup whole long grain white rice
    5 oz chicken breast
    NO Explode
    Granny Smith green apple
    3 tbls spoon PB
    5 oz chicken breast
    1/2 cup whole long grain white rice
    5 oz chicken breast
    1/2 cup vegetables steamer broc and cheese

CALORIES FAT Carbs Protein Sugar Sodium Cholesterol
    Total 1615 25.5 198 126 19 1440 285

I intend to do this for 60 more days, then I will increase the protein and calories to start doing heavier weights.

11. Tony Registered Member

Hi Promo,
    To meet your goals break your meals in 5/6 small meals including snacks and prefer raw food over processed food. Increase your water intake, avoid beverages, soda and even diet soda and start green tea. Exercise is must as it burn fat, boost metabolism and helps in losing weight so exercise regularly. Avoid eating before going to bed and sleep for 6/7 hours a day.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's because it's only been 12,000 years since we invented the technology of agriculture, which is only a few hundred generations. That's not long enough for our bodies to evolve to adapt to a new era of perpetual food surplus.

You have a caveman's body and when it starts noticing a dropoff in food intake, it says, "Omigod, there's a famine! We have to start processing food more efficiently or we're gonna die!" You lose your nervous tics. You begin digesting your food more efficiently so there are zero nutrients in your stool and urine. You sleep more. When it's time to decide what to do next you'll unconsciously choose an activity that requires less energy.

This won't happen in one month but it will happen in a couple more. You'll find it more difficult to lose weight with a more efficient metabolism. When you finally reach your target weight and start eating a normal diet, the caveman body will be a little wary, but soon it will revert to its old ways and be a little less efficient.

What you must avoid at all costs is doing this again. If your caveman body experiences another famine, it's going to start thinking that famines are a regular occurrence and it will never return to its old efficient metabolism. This is the plague of the so-called "yo-yo dieters." You know them. The people who have lost the same 100 pounds five times, and revert to bingeing in between. My wife did that, and you know what happened to her? She's a big, tall muscular lady, who should be able to eat a decent meal, but she can now gain weight on a 1400-calorie diet. Her caveman metabolism has toggled into permanent famine mode.

The best way to lose weight is to calculate a maintenance diet for your ideal weight, and start eating it every day. You won't lose as fast, but you won't feel like you're starving, and most important of all your caveman body won't punish you by becoming more efficient. When you finally get down to your target weight you'll already be eating a maintenance diet, so you won't have to change your habits.

That's what destroys most people. They've been starving themselves for a year, then they finally reach their target, and they say, "I don't have to diet anymore!" At this point they feel so deprived and so desperate that they say, "Well I can celebrate and have a really big meal, then I'll start eating healthy." That celebration goes on and on and on and next thing they know they're back where they started.

I don't understand why? Pick a target and shoot for it. You're messing around with your Inner Caveman and that never has a happy ending. If you want to weigh 255, eat the right number of calories to maintain a weight of 255 and completely stop thinking about dieting. You'll be eating a healthy diet and when you reach your target weight you'll be able to keep right on eating it.

You're setting yourself up for a disaster. You are deliberately planning to have a celebration after you lose your weight and gain some of it back. Does that sound as dumb to you as it does to me??? How hard do you think it's going to be to stop celebrating?

By losing one pound a day you're abusing your body. The few people I know who lost weight only once and kept it off for the rest of their life were losing one or two pounds per month. It took years, but they weren't suffering, and when the diet was over they kept it off.

If you're seriously overweight and you start eating a maintenance diet for your target weight, you might lose five or six pounds a month at first, and then taper down as you get closer to your target. But one pound a day? You're starving yourself and your caveman metabolism will punish you for this.

I've never gone on a diet so I can maintain my weight of 180lb by eating a 3500 calorie diet. My inner caveman never had to worry about a famine, never had to get tough with me, so my metabolism is extremely inefficient.

So my issue is not whether or not your diet is healthy. My issue is that you're gonna be real sorry that you did it this way.

Be patient and treat your body better. It will reward you.

I suppose you're about 19 and you don't care what us old folks have to say because you're smarter than we are. Print this out and read it when you're 40. You'll smack yourself in the head and say, "I wish I had listened to that guy."

13. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

You provide good information as usual, Fraggle yet I'm guessing that Promo is closer to 30 than 19. I mean, what 19 year old even thinks about concerns related to being thirty? To a nineteen year old, thirty IS an 'old guy'.

14. Promo Registered Senior Member

I will be 30 this coming April

15. kwhilborn Banned Banned

I have been off and on overweight and have a few suggestions and facts for you. I have in the past lost 60 lbs, but in the course of 7 months.

On average men lose 2500 calories per day if they work an average job. If you are inactive then walking your dog 3 hours per day may put you in this category, so think about 2500 calories as your base lost amount.

A pound is 2500 calories so even if you ate nothing during the month and burned off the 2500 calories 30 pounds would still be unreachable. A lot of weight is stored in retained water though, and that can be easily shed in a few weeks of dieting adding to a dramatic drop on the scales in the beginning, and this can be confusing.

A simple proven way to lose weight without going hungry or doing without some snacks is to just count calories. Try to aim for about 1500 calories per day. Some dislike diet soda, but if it saves calories then I would use it, however I do try to use water more now. If you never take in more calories than your body burns then you will always lose weight.

However... aside from that.

Fasting can be very healthy for your brain / spiritual side (if a spiritual side exists).

If you fast for a week your body will know it is starving and release chemicals into the brain that will allow it to work in Emergency Mode and you will feel more connected to the Universe. I am unsure what testing (if any) has been done on people in these states but I am sure people would score higher on tests (again not positive but I bet there is supporting research).

So not eating entirely is healthy if done in short term intervals (15 days max). The body also stores toxins. Fasting is a good way to release toxin build up from fat, and also helps clean the digestive system.

Google "fasting" for a few days and you will see it is suggested as a cure all for almost any ailment by eastern medicine.

There is also the Edgar Cayce Apple cleanse where you eat nothing but Delicious apples for 3 days to cleanse your system.

There are also Juice fasts.

There is also the Lemonade Diet where you fast but can drink unlimited real lemonade mixed with real Maple Syrup (for energy).

Lots of choices.

I am not going to support my "Emergency Brain Mode" aspect of fasting, as it may or may not have supporting evidence. I am also not going to argue for the benefits of fasting, as aside from avoiding calories I do not wish to look up supporting links. I just do not want to find scientific evidence for this stuff, but I am sure it is out there. You at least would not intake any calories during a water fast.

I like to do the Delicious apple only diet for three days, then eat normally for a week or two. Then I will eat Meat only (normally ground beef) for a few days to try to trigger the Ketosis before I even start to fast, as some carb free diets can mimic fasting.

You can also look at carb free diets, but they are not something I would endorse entirely,

16. Promo Registered Senior Member

I appreciate the feedback, I have my numbers, my activities, RMR, intake/outtake all worked out specifically for my body. I’ve done quite a bit of research on what works for me. What I am currently doing is working quite well. I’ve toned it back slightly and “cheated” more but I’ve stepped up my cardio/weights to counter that.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

One pound of fat is 3,500 calories, not 2,500. Fat is 8 calories per gram, (pure) alcohol is 7, protein is 4, and carbohydrates also 4.

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Ouch. Then you're really abusing your body. People are supposed to become more patient as they grow older!

19. Promo Registered Senior Member

I've been abusing my body for 15 years, another 6 months won't hurt.