30 Billion Trillion Stars

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by KennyJC, May 29, 2005.

1. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Said pretty matter of factly.

I'm sure man once looked at birds and said "I think we can forget about colonising the sky". Now we're all flying around in hilarious jets that get us to another continent in hours.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Good post creek, but mankind always has an answer, its just finding it. I would hazard a guess that our technical knowledge is probably at about 1% of universal knowledge, if that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Creek1884: You had a dumb physics professor.
    A man named Goddard built a multi-stage rocket in about 1925. It only went up a few miles, but it showed that the concept worked. That experiment proved that the moon and the planets in our solar system could be reached with rocket propulsion.

There were all sorts of people who should know better who thought that a rocket engine would not work in space because there is nothing to push against. The Goddard experiment was necessary to convince these people, not physicists. Physicists were believers before the Goddard experiment.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Novacane Registered Senior Member

It's becoming apparant that it's going to take a longer than 13 billion years to colonize the universe let alone 4.5 billion years to colonize our own solar system.

novacane

8. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Explain? Not sure what you mean.

9. deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2007
  10. Novacane Registered Senior Member

Glad to. In 4.5 billion years, we haven't colonized our own solar system yet. We haven't even colonized our own moon let alone Mars. Say for argument sake, the universe is approx. 14 billion years old and if the universe were colonized by ETs over those billions of years, then we 'should be' hearing some form of ET chatter coming from many parts of the universe. So far no chatter, at least not in the form that we could detect, recognize and/or would expect. So what does that tell you? The distances in the universe are to great to communicate? ET doesn't want to talk to his neighbors? Maybe ET can't? Or better yet, maybe ET just isn't out there. Maybe we are ET and that's it. Whatever the case or reason, it's very possible that we may never hear from ET and even if we did, communicating with ET may not be a very productive process considering the vast distances envolved, especially waiting centuries for ET's humble reply. It's highly doubtful that ET would have much interest in communicating with us, a primative life form of sorts anyway. So what's the answer? I guess we just wait it out and see.

Novacane

11. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

Another reason that we will never colonise the Visible Universe is that it is expanding away from us in all directions;

by the time we get to where the distant galaxies apparently are they will have moved further away. We will never get to vast regions of the universe because it will forever expand beyond our reach, even parts that we can see today.

12. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Well the space age is only 50 years old. Even if we live for another few thousand years with technology at our side you don't know what we could be capable of.

I think you are refferring to the 'fermi paradox' in that if advanced civilisations are so common then why don't we SEE or HEAR them. Which I would pretty much agree with. But that doesn't exactly mean we aren't capable of great things in the near future, even if no ET in our galaxy has managed it yet.

Travel to other galaxies? I would say that is impossible unless we have some tricks up our sleeves. Like wormholes or whatever.

13. creek 1884 APOLO Registered Senior Member

I was going to reply to DINOSAUR's comment about my dear old physics teacher but I se Anonamous has already done it. So I wont fill up this space with any more print.

REGARDS APOLO

14. creek 1884 APOLO Registered Senior Member

Sorry for misspelling your name Anonymous. I was in a hurry and hit the wrong key.

REGARDS APOLO

15. deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2007
  16. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  17. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  18. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Same old Dwayne.
    Welcome back, I think!

19. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Pete: You seem to know Dwayne. Can you summarize or comment on what he is saying?

It was difficult for me to filter much meaning out of his lengthy post.

Dwayne: A long post is difficult to read without a lot of paragraph breaks.

20. NO1 I Am DARKNESS Registered Senior Member

basically he wants to defend humanity by communication and defence barriers of 30-400 light years arguing that the human population is in danger for the time of earths existance by use of such powers that could manipulate the laws of science that organize our galaxy by collection chemistry outside our reach. And magnetic field reversal. Thats the point I got out of it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  21. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

That's typical of my limited experience with Dwayne. He seems to march to the beat of a different drummer. He's the sort of poster where after devoting some effort to deciphering his posts, you're pretty sure that there's no real substance to what he says, but you can never quite be certain.

He's in my "harmless" file.

(I can be an incredibly patronising bastard sometimes)

22. NO1 I Am DARKNESS Registered Senior Member

maybe not not harmless, just defensive?

23. Okeydoke Registered Senior Member

I say the period is even longer for humans advancing from killing mamouths with stone spears to driving a Mecedes Benz. I say the period is at least 12,000 to 20,000 years, which gives an even bleaker formula for finding advanced intelligent life based on your comments you humbly described in your post above.

Okeydoke

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!