3 earthquakes?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Shadow1, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

does it mean anything?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

anyway, no damages happened.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

well, nevermind, that area of tunisia, is on a tectonic area, that always moves slightly, but it don't make big earthquakes, just small ones, nothing damaging, saw it on the newspaper.
    i think the thread is cesspooled here, hehehehe. anyway, will it be their stronger ones? that can be dangerous? (hope not)

8. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

well, i think that's it here,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

cesspool closed?

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

4.8 is not a particularily large quake, as you noted. As you also noted this region is tectonically active as you in Tunisia seek to climb all over Sicily. Is it part of a larger sequence of events? Watch this space.

10. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

that's what i'm wondering about.
    what space?

11. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

anyway, never happened a serious earthquake before, i remeber once an earthquake reached my city, "kairouan", and, nothing more than a shaking glass of water.

12. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Watch this space is an expression in colloquial English that means "We don't know, but something might happen shortly. Stay in touch so we can let you know if and when it does."

In short the quakes might be part of a sequence, or they might not. We shall not know until time has passed and the sequence can be examined, or until time has passed and nothing further has happened.

13. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

one more info, it wasn't actually 3 during this year, but some 10, but i didnt really heard about all of them, nothing serious that i would hear about it, but those were between 2 and 3.5, and now this one is 4.8! this is the strongest one and yes; some traces on some walls, and some stuff in kitchen felled (people who live their said)
    full page: http://www.tunivisions.net/meteo-secousse-tellurique-a-sidi-bouzid-4-8,10714.html

14. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

We've had 2,500 earthquakes in an area 125km by 85km, most of which (2,100) have been concentrated in an area that's 53km by 26km in the last two months.

They're part of an ongoing sequence of aftershocks following a shallow 7.1 (c 11km) earthquake.

15. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

7.1? are you using Richtar mesure?

well 2.5 and 2.1 are not much, almost nothing

16. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Yes, 7.1 on the Richter scale.

17. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

18. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

if such earthquake happeneds, the country will be hearted badly! if it's stronger too, esspecially that it is in an important area too, not the state, but, if an earthquake, surely will reach the other states, wich one of them is tunis, the capital
    hope that nothing happens, i mean, there are always many areas in the world where these small earthquakes happends, and no major one comes, also that area of tunisia have some small earthquake because it's on, or near a techtonick place, is doesnt really mean that a big or a huge earthquake will happen, right?

19. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

besides those 10 in the link, 2 other ones, in same area praticly, 3.2, and the other 3.1

20. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Wow- 3 is more than 2, which is one more than one.

Is there a moderator in the house???

21. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

no, for this year, now they are 12 earthquakes! with those two new ones

22. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

And how many were there last year, and five years ago and fifty years ago? And what were their magnitudes?

I am not sure what you are trying to say, but it sounds a little like that character beloved by the Americans, Chicken Little, who - as I understand it - ran around crying 'The Sky is falling! The Sky is falling!' on first seeing snow.

23. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

the last time i heard about an earth quake was a few years ago, or maybe one or two last year or before it, anyway, they were the same strengh of those one, magnitude, wich i mentioned them all, if you go back and read my other posts...
    and yes, the sky is falling!!!!
    :/