3.141592653589 blah blah blah.

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Mar 22, 2006.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

pi is 0,

dont you see its pointless, it wont work.

its not a number because they wont stop. its a circle,

peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

Pi.... is a value derived from the diameter and circumfrance of a circle in our universe... and it relates to all motions of all bodies everywhere..

it is fundamental to everything....

and i propose it represents.... one of the mysterious qualities of the energy applied in the creation of the universe...

as such... established the foundation for all dimensions... which again make the universe.

so Pi, and all the other univrsal constants... are the only clues we have as to the energy used in making the universe... by whatever applied that energy.

-MT

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

EFOC:

But it does work - every time I need to calculate the diameter of a circle, or its area - and in lots more cases besides.

What are you talking about?

Mosheh Thezion

No it isn't.

I propose that you are wrong. And since we have both provided equal amounts of evidence for our respective points of view, I am as likely to be right as you are.

----
    Why do you people post in the Physics and Math forum? This kind of new-age waffle would fit better in "Free Thoughts", or maybe "Pseudoscience".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Hey Mosheh, I think you should get together with Empty Force and talk about this stuff over a bowl of ganja.

Heavy, man

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

peace :m:

8. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

I'VE given up the ganja....
    -MT

9. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

But the hangover remains.

10. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

I HAVE NOT GIVEN UP GIN.... but i practice temporance...
    meaning i can only drink after 10pm... and in limited amounts....

in this.. way.. i can drink anyday... and it doesnt interfere with anything.
    -MT
    IVE Thought about getting a prescription for the ganja....
    but... my pain is all gone... and it only makes me tired... and lazy.

11. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Pi is not pointless. The point is always immediately behind the 3 and in front of the 1.

12. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

I have memorised pi to over 100dp. It once earnt me a free drink!

13. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i didnt mean pi is useless as a tool,

i am saying its pointless to search for the end of the number, because there will be no end, it will just keep going,

the end of a number would work if it were square but its not,

pi is 3.141 as a tool,

but in a nutshell it wont come to an end, why not just round it off and leave it at that,

peace.

14. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

but in a nutshell it wont come to an end

Have you proof of that or are you just making it up?
    Dee Cee

15. shmoe Registred User Registered Senior Member

Who is "searching for the end" of pi? People compute pi to many decimal places for a few reasons. It's a test of their hardware. It's a test of the algorithms used. It adds more data to test the conjecture of the normality of pi (this will never prove it one way or another of course). etc.

Anyone familiar with this sort of thing knows full well pi is transcendental (hence irrational) and thus never terminates or repeats.

16. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

Anyone familiar with this sort of thing knows full well pi is transcendental

Without subjecting me to an attack of math anxiety is there any way you can explain to me how we know this.
    I was under the impression it could not be proved either way.
    An impression left by school math lessons held in a time before electricity BTW

Thanx
    Dee Cee

17. DaleSpam TANSTAAFL Registered Senior Member

The proof that pi is transcendental is a direct result of the Proof That e Is Transcendental. I can't explain it, just point you to it but it appears to be proved.

-Dale

18. Poincare's Stepchild Inside a Klein bottle. Registered Senior Member

A lot of work for one free drink.

19. Poincare's Stepchild Inside a Klein bottle. Registered Senior Member

Pi is an artifact of plane geometry. It is the ratio of the diameter of a circle divided by the circumference of the circle.

It is an irrational number, meaning it can not be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This also means that it has an infinite, non-repeating decimal representation. So the best we can do numerically is to approximate it.

Pi is also a transcendental number , which has been proved. This means that it is NOT the root of any polynomial with integer coefficients.

Nuff said.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. shmoe Registred User Registered Senior Member

I did mean the people calculating pi to many many decimal places will be very aware of it, your average bloke probably not.

It's usually easier to prove a number is irrational than it is transcendental, this is definitely the case for pi and e. There are multiple proofs of the irrationality of pi, such as http://www.mcs.csuhayward.edu/~malek/Mathlinks/Pi.html this is one of the easier to follow, but still requires some calculus. Proving e is irrational is simple by comparison, http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/EIsIrrationalProof.html

pi and e have been known to be transcendental and irrational for quite some time now, transcendental proven in the late 1800's, irrationality sometime in the 1700's. What's not known either way is if pi is normal, roughly meaning the digits look random, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/NormalNumber.html

21. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Except for the concerns I have expressed about the determination of any probability in finite set of empirical trials (Thanks again for your comments on that.), it would seem to me that the probably that pi is not "normal" should be very low by now, with all the numbers available.

Do you know results of any statistical test that have been used to compute this? Also I assume that if pi is normal in base 10, it must be in all bases. That is correct, is it not?

22. shmoe Registred User Registered Senior Member

http://www.super-computing.org/pi-decimal_current.html has the single digit distributions out to 1.2 trillion decimal places, by Y. Kanada. Normal in base 10 doesn't imply normal in all bases.

23. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

THE mystery of pi..... is what it signifies...

i say it signifies... the fundamental quality of the energy applied to make the universe as we know it..... ie... circles...

if pie was different... circles.. would be different... as would all dimensions and all motion in space.

-MT