212 Workers Test Positive for TB

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by sandy, Nov 5, 2007.

1. sandy Banned Banned

TB is coming back to the USA. Illegal aliens (some infected with drug-resistent TB) are working in our food plants and spreading it to Americans.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Almost 30% of those tested at Wayne Farms, one of the largest processors in the U.S., were infected, some with active/contagious TB.

Health officials said both employees with active TB are Hispanics born in countries where the disease is prevalent.

TB can cause permanent damage to the lungs and other organs. The airborne bacteria is easily spread by coughing, laughing or even talking.

The drug-resistant TB has just killed more than 50 people in South Africa. It's impossible to cure because it's immune to the best TB drugs. Multi-drug resistant TB costs up to $250,000 and takes two years to cure.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58501

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Was it wiped out?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

i noted you failed to mention all the employees at said plant were legal

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sandy Banned Banned

Pretty much. A few scattered cases here and there from American travelers and criminal aliens.

They aren't. Wayne Farms PR guys says they are, but they are not.

This is not about criminal aliens. It's about TB. And how it's making a comeback to the USA.

8. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

Hayman also said, despite the large number of foreign-born Hispanic employees working at the Decatur facility, all have been verified as legally working in the U.S.
    a quote from your source it is one thing to not read someone elses source but for crying out loud shouldn't you at least read your own sources?
    you need to supply an additional source than that backs up your claim that some of the workers were illegal because your current one says they were all legal. and it was about illegal aliens

9. sandy Banned Banned

Hayman is Wayne Farms PR guy. What's he gonna say? "Yeah, we hire criminal aliens and now they're spreading TB?" Oh hell no. I can guarantee you that most of them have stolen IDs, SS numbers, etc. And they are NOT here legally.

American media have reported a number of new TB stories where people are flying with it. Since it's airborne, this is going to be a whole new epidimic if we're not careful.

http://hotair.com/archives/2007/10/...ore-than-enough-time-to-contract-the-disease/

10. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

first you are making unproven claims as if they were fact. second what your talking about would be a pandemic not an epidemic. third isn't bad when you are a conservative quoting from a source that is biased toward conservatism and you have to ignore info in it because it doesn't go along with what you wish to rant and rave about

11. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

Not only that. The article itself makes a connection to illegal aliens, which simply does not exist in this case.
    If tuberculosis is eliminated in the USA (I am not sure whether it was ever the case, though) it can only be kept free if everyone coming into the country (regardless of nationality) is being tested. Even then the mycobacteria responsible for this disease can lie dormant and are then hardly detectable. In fact, even in regions that are essentially tuberculosis free it is likely that at least a few individuals are still carriers without knowing it (This is true for people of any skin colour/nationality/religion, btw). It only requires some triggers so that they reactivate and rapidly infect scores of people.

Attributing that to a certain group (as done in the particular article) and yet contradicting oneself at the same time is quite a bit of badly worked out polemics.

/edit some crossposted when I typed this, but I am too lazy to change stuff

12. sandy Banned Banned

If you think all American business PR guys tell the truth--especially where criminal aliens are involved, then you really don't get it. You won't see anything about TB in liberal news media. They are in denial. They don't even think we have an immigration problem.

I'm ranting about TB making a comeback. I want it stopped. Whatever it takes.

13. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

it will never completely be stopped. so your blaming the liberal media for you misquoting your own conservative source. while i admire the audacity isn't it slight unethical? oh and simple because i have waited for such a chance WHY ARE YOU BLAMING AMERICA

14. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

You can encase the US in a bubble.

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Through lies and deceit? Is that the Christian way of doing things?

16. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Wow. A she sourced WorldNut Daily. There's a reliable source of information.

17. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

don't forget the kicker she is misquoting at that saying things they didn't

18. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Just fallacious icing on the cake of WorldNut hyperbole.

19. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

This is technically almost impossible. First there are no reliable tests (that I am aware of) of dormant state mycobacteria. They evade immune responses and are thus not detectable by normal immunoassays. In other words even if the USA closes itself in there are still people around that may have contracted some of these bacteria. Once their immune system falter (e.g. due to age) the bacterium re-emerges.
    Second, certain causative agents of tuberculosis (most prominently ]Mycobacterium bovis) are transmissible between animals (mostly cattle, as the name implies) and humans. So either in captivity or in the wild you have also a pool of possible infectious tuberculosis bacteria.

In other words even if you close down the border you will have to test every person, cattle and related animal in the wild (e.g. deer) for tuberculosis, and due to above mentioned problems the quick assays are not reliable enough. Also note that tuberculosis is not only found in the lung but they can also find for instance in the spine.

Also detection of said bacteria require either an extremely long therapy (at least six months) or the subject in question has to be killed and the body sterilized.

20. sandy Banned Banned

Michael Chertoff, Secretary, Department of Homeland Security
    Washington, D.C.

Meryl might answer the phone. Tell her sandy told you to call.

21. maxg Registered Senior Member

According to the CDC, 57 % of people with TB are born in the US and less than 20 % have been in the US for less than a year. Also TB cases have been falling (not rising) over the past 10 or so years from 25,108 in 1993 to 14,097 in 2005. Is there anything else you can incorrectly surmise from 1 news story?

Online Tuberculosis Information System (OTIS), National Tuberculosis Surveillance System, United States, 1993-2005. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (US DHHS), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Division of TB Elimination, CDC WONDER On-line Database, March 2007. Accessed at http://wonder.cdc.gov/tb-v2005.html on Nov 5, 2007 11:05:15 AM

22. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Pandemics and epidemics are "stopped" - prevented, usually, as that is much easier - by either socialized or dictated medicine. Vulnerability to contagions and other effects of inadequate social health care is a major defect of a free market or individual decision based approach.

In other countries and other times, as well as our own: aside from the corporate importation of cheaper labor that has and will receive lower levels of health care, major sources of contagion have (historically and recently) included aggressive military ventures (especially those involving mercenaries) and expansions of the populations of prisons.

23. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

why would i want to talk to someone with questionable skills and a penchent for lying just because you tell me to